Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

K10D SDHC Cards

I need to get some SD cards for my K10D and have a few questions. I can't see where the K10D manual specifies a minimum speed class, but I'm looking at class 10 cards, since I figure that even if the camera can't write at the card's rated speed I can read them faster on the computer. I can also use them in my HD camcorder, which only requires a minimum of Class 4 or 6 (I don't remember for sure.)

1. Do cards labeled UHS-1 work in a K10D? I've read here that some cameras don't work well with UHS-1 cards.
2. How fast will the K10D write to the card? I see all kinds of write speeds listed for various cards.
3. For two cards rated the same write speed, will using a larger card, like 16 or 32 GB cause any slowdowns in the K10D over a smaller card, like 4 or 8 GB? I'm wondering about "overhead" for the camera to wade through a larger number of files.
4. I'm at firmware version 1.30. I see that version 1.31 is available for "Improved recording stability when using some SDHC memory cards." Does anybody know what this specifically addresses?
5. Are there any brands that perform better in this camera? Lexar, SanDisk, Transcend, Kingston, PNY or eBay specials work just as well?
6. Do MicroSDHC cards with an adapter work?

EDIT: I found this on Lexar site:
QuoteQuote:
Can I use an UHS-I card with a SDHC host device?
Yes! All SD UHS-I cards can be used with all existing SDXC and SDHC devices (backwards compatible). Note that SDXC UHS-I cards are not compatible with SD or SDHC host devices, only with SDXC host devices.
But I'm sure I read here that some people have had problems with Pentax cameras and UHS-1 Cards.

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

Last edited by DaveNC; 07-24-2014 at 08:46 PM.
07-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, make sure you are running firmware 1.31. (i.e. the latest) Then you will have full support for the largest capacity SDHC - which I think goes up to 32GB. This is totally over the top storage for the K10d. I reckon 2GB cards were all I needed when that was my main camera. Maybe lash out and get 8GB or 16, you will never run out of card space!

I can confirm that Sandisk Ultras are fast enough for the K10d. I've never had trouble with any sandisk cards - just make sure that whatever brand you get it's actually a genuine card... I would skip ebay for this reason.

Sandisk Extremes (confusing superlatives with sandisk) don't perform any faster, as the camera isn't fast enough to justify them, so you can save some money there.

I can't see any reason why there may be an overhead with a larger card, because the card (or any disk) uses a directory to look up where files are stored. A bit like checking the index page, rather than randomly flicking through a book.

I wouldn't get a microSD card with adapter - there's a small risk it could pop out of the adapter and get stuck in the camera.
07-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
SanDisk Extreme is a very popular brand. However, I use PNY cards which are cheaper and don't have a complaint. It's 9.99 for a 16gb 90mb/s card on Amazon. I wouldn't get less than 16gb because the price asked for 8gb cards is like a dollar cheaper than 16gb.. Another brand of SD cards people here like I believe are Transcend. SD card speed is the same I believe regardless of memory space. If the speed is advertised at 30mb/s a 64gb and 8gb should read at the same rate.
07-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I can't remember what I used with my K-10. I went a pair of K-20s and used 16 GB Transcend Class 10s. Any good brand Class 10 is plenty. B&H or Adorama,

Here's an 8Gb Class 10 Transcend for $7.95 and Free Shipping. Go crazy and get two!

Or go big for $9.99 16 GB Class 10 Transcend and Free Shipping

07-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveNC Quote
1. Do cards labeled UHS-1 work in a K10D? I've read here that some cameras don't work well with UHS-1 cards. 2. How fast will the K10D write to the card? I see all kinds of write speeds listed for various cards.
Yes, UHS-I SDHC cards will work, but you won't benefit from the extra speed. The K10D writes at under 30Mb/s so even a cheap sandisk class 10 card will give you optimal performance. I'd recommend sticking with Sandisk or Lexar as far as brands go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad to hear the UHS-1 cards will work since they're the basically same price as the regular Class 10 cards. Even if the K10D won't utilize the extra speed, hopefully my next camera will.

Brooke, that looks like a deal on the 16GB Transcend cards. I may have to try a couple of those.

And I'll get the latest firmware update installed.

-Dave
07-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Just a tip, SD cards when advertised usually display reading speeds. If you shoot in bursts, you'll want cards that can deliver writing speeds of 30mb/s (or more) to clear that buffer ASAP. Reading speeds are usually much greater than writing speeds, so keep that in consideration!
07-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip, Zealex. Something else to look at.

-Dave

07-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You're shooting a K10. Worry about the exposure and composition. Don't worry the memory card write speed. The money you save will go towards a tripod and manual shutter release.

07-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #10

Original Poster
Nice Photo!

Nice photo! Is that from somewhere along the Outer Banks, Highway 12 on the right?
07-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveNC Quote
Nice photo! Is that from somewhere along the Outer Banks, Highway 12 on the right?
Dune walk over across from the Visitor Center at Pea Island, April 2009. If taken now, you'd see the "temporary" bridge.

K10 with my first lens, a Tamron 28-75 which I shot today on a K5IIs.