Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often do you expect to replace your body?
Every generation (1-2 years) 2216.18%
Every other generation (3-4 years) 6547.79%
Every third generation (5-6 years) 2518.38%
I keep em 'till they break (no upgrades) 2417.65%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #16
MnR

Hi all,

I don't plan replacing my ist D anytome soon. the only one that would be the logical replacement for it is the K10. I won't buy the K20 for the simple reason of the Live View!

If I wanted Live View I could have stayed with a Point and Shot style camera....

Rudy

05-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by MnR Quote
Hi all,

I don't plan replacing my ist D anytome soon. the only one that would be the logical replacement for it is the K10. I won't buy the K20 for the simple reason of the Live View!

If I wanted Live View I could have stayed with a Point and Shot style camera....

Rudy
You can switch Live View on or off, you know
So it is no need to be scared off by that feature. Myself I'm not a big fan of it, not at all. It is near useless IMO. But I do find K20D a better tool than the plain D.
05-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MnR Quote
Hi all,

Rudy
I think one of the questions here should be not so much changing your body, but perhaps ADDING a second body.

I own both *istD and K10D. as far as I am concerned, the K10D is 2 generations removed from the *istD, but 6 model releases later. I am not sure the K20D is really 2 generations removed from the K10D, which is why I have not gone for one, It is not a big enough step in my view.

WHen I bought the K10D, I had shot about 6500 frames with the *IstD. Since then, I have shot an additional 2000 frames on the *istD, even though I have shot 7000 on the K10D.

The two bodies complement each other, and the *istD has capabilities that the K10D does not have. That is why I kept it.

People need to consider upgrading etc, as complements to their kit not as replacements
05-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm planning on upgrading to the current model when it gets replaced. I had a K100d, upgraded to a K10d when the K20d was announced. I'll look for a K20d when the K30d shows up.

05-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I'm going to have my head frozen, and when technology is available to have it defrosted and attached to a new cyberbody, I'm going to make sure I go with the built-in K90D option and hit up ebay for some lenses.
05-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I voted every third generation, but it could well be longer.

I waited to buy a DSLR until I felt the bodies and resolution matched what I expected from a 35mm SLR. Then I waited until I could buy that DSLR for a price that was comparable to a decent 35mm SLR.

Hence, I am happily shooting on a very lightly used *ist DL that I bought around the switch from the DL2 to the K100D. So, I bought one-generation from current. I'm now two generations from current, but don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

I think it's likely that I will not replace the DL. It's more likely to get a stablemate, if I decide to start shooting any paid gigs. Here's hoping that used K10Ds hit $300....
05-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Till they break 'cos I can't afford them.

05-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #23
Banned

since my superA is still going strong, and my newly aquired MX I can only assume will outlast even that, no, no I dont buy till it breaks. (by the way my K110D is still as good as the day I bought it)

no hot pixels....

yea for optical viewfinders.
05-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to agree with Arpe and say it entirely depends on what the "new model" has. I didn't go for a K20D because there simply wasn't much on the new camera I truly wanted. If the feature set is what I want I'll upgrade, if it's not, I wont. Right now the K10D is plenty enough for me.

NaCl(but I definitely would like some new knees)H2O
05-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

im in business, so it is necessary to keep up with technology.
so, i need to replace camera bodies often. with pentax i'll hvae to do that more often until they start making cameras as tough as the canon 1 series (which i have seen fall 4 feet to brick, bounce, and finish the wedding with no problem) that have as low of noise as the Nikon D3....

when pentax has flagship pro models out, then i can wait longer between bodies, but right now i need to constantly upgrade

but....i do have a budget, so i voted every other generation
05-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every other generation

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I voted every other genration. So I hope I'll be able to do so, it all depends on job, family and level of savings...
sadly, photography isn't very cheap hobby...
Me too.

But I meant even-numbered generations.

And I'm not waiting for the K40.

(BBA)
05-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #27
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought my film SLR's in the 70's, replaced three bodies with a single Pentax SF-1 in the 90's (the original SLR's were stolen - returned 5 years later). Bought a *ist Ds in 2005 and the K10D in 2007.

I expect to have to go get a new DSLR when both the Ds and K10D are dead. So far it looks like they will be around for quite a while.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL