Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often do you expect to replace your body?
Every generation (1-2 years) 2216.18%
Every other generation (3-4 years) 6547.79%
Every third generation (5-6 years) 2518.38%
I keep em 'till they break (no upgrades) 2417.65%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How often do you expect to replace your body?

Just curious on what people see the life expectancy on their d-slr body as. That is, how often do you expect to upgrade (money allowing)

Poll to follow.

05-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #2

It kind of depends, do you mean how often do I expect to replace it because I must? Or replace it because I want to?

I doubt I will wear out a decently made camera body, so probably never in this case. My K10D is two months old(or close) and I have probably 800 or 900 exposure on it, and a fair amount of that was experimenting with it when I first got it, so I probably have taken 500 or so actual pictures. Maybe. At that rate I expect my K10D to last awhile, barring any unforeseen failures due to defects or my dropping it at least. It's not that I don't want to use it more, but I don't have as much time to spend on my hobby as I'd like, and sometimes it takes awhile for me to come up with an image I'd like to try to make or take and sometimes nature doesn't cooperate, etc.

Replacing it because I want to, well that's different. I wouldn't mind replacing my K100D with a K200D today, but I don't have the money. I would think hard about replacing my K10D with a K20D, at least right now. It's not that I wouldn't mind having a K20D, it's just that my K10D meets my needs and exceeds them and probably will for awhile, and I like it alot, so I'm not in any hurry.
05-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I voted every other genration. So I hope I'll be able to do so, it all depends on job, family and level of savings...
sadly, photography isn't very cheap hobby...
05-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
My hands aren't what they once were and I think the eyes are going big-time. Central memory seems to be faulting more and more though the processor can keep up with most things, except perhaps full-motion video streams. Might trade in for parts past the eighth decade.

05-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote
It kind of depends, do you mean how often do I expect to replace it because I must? Or replace it because I want to?

Replacing it because I want to, well that's different. I wouldn't mind replacing my K100D with a K200D today, but I don't have the money. I would think hard about replacing my K10D with a K20D, at least right now. It's not that I wouldn't mind having a K20D, it's just that my K10D meets my needs and exceeds them and probably will for awhile, and I like it alot, so I'm not in any hurry.

The poll was intended as you want to replace your body, not breakage. Also assuming you have the money available, but not that its "free" That you had to save, or divert money from other activities. Basically how long before you'd consider your body obsolete enough that you'd plunk down your own money for a new one.

Personally I dont feel the need to do every generation. I dont think there has been enough progress to really warrant a change. I'm a every other generation sort of guy. (barring some revolutionary model)
05-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #6

I'm in the 5-6 year category. Many other things to save up money for in the mean time, photography isn't my business. If it was, it would likely be sooner than that.
05-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I voted 3-4 years but that is digital

with film it was 10-15 years
05-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm in the "keep it till it breaks" for both film and digital the only reason i gave up my Rebel and a couple of lenses is that my sister could have a decent camera for better family shots which as i use to do when all the kids were tiny, now they're grown...we don't see each other as frequently other than major holidays which i still record.

The Rebel was my travel system which i didn't mind losing as it was entry level pricing, my newly aqquired K200D has taken that spot, but will be used much more in more rugged conditons, let's say i'm done with visiting Disney and require more weather practical equipment. i highly doubt the Rebel would last long on my new ventures.

05-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes it all depends on what the new features are. If they just produce new models with bugger all new features (like istDs-> istDL, that was actually a backwards step to me) then I wouldn't upgrade.
While I was busting to upgrade to SR I hung off til the K20D, as it then had enough new stuff to warrant the upgrade. If they brought out a new one that had higher fps and AF tomorrow, I would seriuosly consider upgrading.
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Damn Brit

I can't vote in the poll. I plan on getting a second body in the future, either a K20 when the price comes down or maybe K30(whatever comes next). After that I can't see myself replacing either of them until necessary. It's the glass that I can imagine will be changing more often than the bodies.
05-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #11

I keep mine till they break (can't afford to replace)
05-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Even though I sold my Rebel after having it for less than a year, I'm keeping the K10 till it goes down. At least that's the plan so far...
05-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #13

I would LIKE to move up each generation, adding the new body to the kit I have. But it's not really likely. I'm not a professional or anything, so it's not a matter of making money, and since new bodies aren't free, I usually have to sell something(s) to raise the money, usually a body or lens or accessory that I don't find as useful as I thought I would when I bought it. But I'm reaching the point where I have things I'm not willing to sell(my K10D for instance, my 16-50 for another, and my af360 for a third) simply because they work so well. I like the K10D, and unless I was offered a ridiculous deal like an even trade for a new K20D body, I plan on using my K10D for awhile. I like my K100D, but not as much, and have considered selling it to upgrade to the K200D, for the features it offers over the K100D. I haven't yet, so I'm obviously not motivated enough to upgrade, and I've been keeping the K100D around as a backup/spare.
05-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Hi Geekybiker

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
Dunno really......can you recommend a decent plastic surgeon, cos certain parts of my anatomy have 'headed south' over the years and don't look quite as good as they used to !! DSLR's are another matter entirely......lol !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-08-2008 at 06:42 AM.
05-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #15

Well I've just upgraded from my K10D to a K30D, and I have to tell you, it's great. The 19.6 megapixel sensor is huge by comparison, and allows me to crop a fair bit without worrying about image quality. It's fast, too, with 5 fps in RAW (up to the capacity of the standard 32Mb SDHC card) meaning I never miss a shot. And the new fully tilting 3 inch LCD screen with Super LiveView is what the K20 should have had from the off. Low light? it's a breeze, you have no idea just how convenient it is to be able to go up to 12,800 ISO with Pentax's LoNoize system, you'd honestly think it was 100 ISO on a K10D. Boy, how things have improved, I'm so glad I waited instead of rushing to buy the K20.