Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Old Flash on new bodies = bad news. But what about the inverse?

I bought my first roll of film the other day. I'm sick of only having experience from one end of the photography spectrum, so I've expanded my horizons by purchasing a 36 roll of Kodak 400 Tmax B&W for my K1000(Which I originally only bought because of the lens attached to it).

It's fun so far. It's very strange to have so little feedback as you shoot; just a little lightmeter in the viewfinder. With this machine, I doubt I could accurately predict what a flash will do to my exposure, but I want to try one anyway if I can.

All I have is the Pentax AF540. Apparently, modern flashguns send less voltage through the body than old flashguns. So my K1000 is probably safe, but is there anything that could damage my flashgun if I use it on there?

05-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubious Drewski Quote
All I have is the Pentax AF540. Apparently, modern flashguns send less voltage through the body than old flashguns. So my K1000 is probably safe, but is there anything that could damage my flashgun if I use it on there?
I guess you are referring to the trigger voltage. Older flash units had trigger voltages sometimes in excess of 75 volts,the cameras built then were designed to handle this. Your K1000 may very well have a mechanical switch to activate the flash. Personally I would see no problem with using modern flashes on old bodies,except for where the flash has to communicate with the camera.
05-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's very strange to have so little feedback as you shoot; just a little lightmeter in the viewfinder.
yeah, you've actually gotta have some faith in your own ability!

Sometimes you read 'internet discussions' and you wonder how anyone ever managed to take a photo without AF and Programed exposure modes!!!

Agree, regarding the flash. I used old flashguns on my K10D before I got an AF540FGZ.

Cheers, Nige
05-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

The flash can do no harm to your K1000.

05-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I assumed the flash wouldn't harm the camera. What I was wondering was if I missed some important detail and the camera would harm the flash in some way. The camera is worth $30, the flash is worth $500. I care about the flash, hehe.

Anyway, I shot all day with it and it worked fine. Now to wait 1-2 weeks to have my non C41 film developed, ugh.
05-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Now to wait 1-2 weeks to have my non C41 film developed, ugh.
There's an easy way to fix that... do it yourself!

If you get your negs back and you enjoyed the experience enough to shoot some more, have a go at developing them yourself. A developing tank and necessary chemistry can be bought for not much.
05-08-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah, I assumed the flash wouldn't harm the camera. What I was wondering was if I missed some important detail and the camera would harm the flash in some way. The camera is worth $30, the flash is worth $500. I care about the flash, hehe.

Anyway, I shot all day with it and it worked fine. Now to wait 1-2 weeks to have my non C41 film developed, ugh.
I think you will find the AF540FGZ is a unique flash.

It is specifically designed by pentax to operate in any mode with any pentax camera.

it works in full manual, AUTO (compatible with all the older K series cameras) TTL for all cameras starting with the LX that had TTL flash, up to the *istDS, and P-TTL for all cameras with P-TTL flash, notible DSLRs after *istDS
05-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, Pentax is the coolest when it comes to reverse-compatibility. Nobody even comes close to touching their legacy support.

05-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #9

B&W Processing Locally

Drewski,

Did you check any of the photo labs in your area to see if they do real B&W processing? I live in the SF Bay Area, which is a big place, but I have several choices for local processing and printing. My last roll of Tri-X took 2 days, beautiful printing on real B&W paper, nice white borders.
Where do you live?

Russell
05-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yup, I work at a photolab. It does indeed have to be sent away, I double checked.