Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Star trails and ultra-long exposures

What's the longest bulb exposure anyone here's done? My last camera completely maxed out at 60s, and I want to do some star trails. I'm guessing that a single, ultra-long exposure (30 minutes or an hour) will harm the sensor. What's the longest that's safe? I've seen some good shots that were stacked 8-min exposures, but is the K10D different at all?

Thanks.

05-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not likely to harm the sensor, but the longer it runs on a single exposure, the more 'hot pixels' you'll get. These will go away when the sensor cools down again.

Noise reduction will take as long as the exposure is so you'll need to make sure that you have fresh batteries or an AC adapter for realy long exposures. If you don't want to use noise reduction, you can use a 'dark frame' where you take a picture with the lens cap on during the same session (this is more useful if you are taking a series of shorter shots rather than one single shot).

I've done a 2-3 minute test shot, but I haven't gotten around to do a real shoot yet. I've been waiting for the weather to warm up.
05-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Longest exposure I ever did was 4.5 hours. Then again I was using a Pentax MEF and Kodak Elitechrome 100 @ f/11. Noise was not a problem,nor was skyglow.
05-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #4

I was recently at Joshua Tree NP doing this with my K10D, fully charged with the battery grip and the shutdown timer turned off ... no luck. As near as I can tell, the K10 just locked after about 4 minutes. I had to turn it off and on again to restore function. Interestingly, I got the picture - up to the point it locked. Of course it was seriously underexposed...

Anyways, multiple attempts ended in multiple failures.

Good luck! Let me know how it went and what you did to make it work.

Frank.

Ps. It wasn't the noise reduction feature - it was totally locked.

05-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I used to do this in film but never tried with a DSLR. Here's an idea but I don't know how it would work: Instead of shooting one long exposure shot that will result in sensor noise, would it be better to shoot many shots of shorter exposure (say 30 seconds each) and then digitally combine them?
05-08-2008, 05:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I used to do this in film but never tried with a DSLR. Here's an idea but I don't know how it would work: Instead of shooting one long exposure shot that will result in sensor noise, would it be better to shoot many shots of shorter exposure (say 30 seconds each) and then digitally combine them?
This will work (not with a K20D though, as it wouldn't skip the dark frame exposures).

It's less the sensor noise in long exposures (won't be that bad after all). It is that you effectively shoot at much lower ISO if you combine images.
05-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

This was a single 7.5 minute exposure with the K10D. f/13. I recall the battery dying after a number of shots like this. Probably 4 of 5 shots. Clicking on the picture should take you to the largest viewing size. if that doesn't work, here is the link
05-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #8

I once did 3 exposures of 15 min, 25 min. and 35min. almost in a row. With the camera in a bag with the lens cap on. Just wanted to see the results at ISO 1600. Battery was not empty afterwards. But of course maybe it was freshly recharged, don't remember anymore.

05-09-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
Forum Member

Alohadave: I didn´t know about the noise reduction and process time. I made some experiments with light painting and had the shutter opened for up to 5 mins on some pictures. I got very frustrated as I had to wait for every image getting processed and it almost took as long as the exposure. Do you mean it goes faster if you turn the noise reduction off?
05-09-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Now, how would I go about getting longer exposures than the pre-programmed 30s? Have in mind a I don't have a remote nor a tripod but there are other ways of taking stable picture, a table for instance.
05-09-2008, 01:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungKrille Quote
5 mins on some pictures. I got very frustrated as I had to wait for every image getting processed and it almost took as long as the exposure. Do you mean it goes faster if you turn the noise reduction off?
Yes, this is what he meant. If you turn it off, you must do the dark frame subtraction yourself in post processing (and manually take one dark frame shot). Google for "dark frame subtraction".

However, on the K20D, you can't turn it off anymore. (I think, 1/10s or so is the longest one can take w/o it, not sure, though).

This is why the star trail from many pictures won't work with a K20D -- except you make tens of thousand of images (only possible in mid quality JPEG).
05-09-2008, 05:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
What's the longest bulb exposure anyone here's done? My last camera completely maxed out at 60s, and I want to do some star trails. I'm guessing that a single, ultra-long exposure (30 minutes or an hour) will harm the sensor. What's the longest that's safe? I've seen some good shots that were stacked 8-min exposures, but is the K10D different at all?

Thanks.
My longest photo exposure has been around 1 hour.
Done that 35 years ago, with a 2000mm telescope, with a small clock based mechanism to follow an object position in the sky.
A smaller telescope with a grid we used to correct the position of the telescope resulting from small temperature originated errors made by the following system.

We made photos from many different stellar and planetory objects and the moon.

Photos were made with both 6x6 cm glass plates and 35mm film cameras with home based film development and photo printing.

It was a great time and I learned my way around a dark room.

- Bert
05-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
However, on the K20D, you can't turn it off anymore.
I'm still waiting for the f/w upgrade that will fix it ...
05-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickhh Quote
I'm still waiting for the f/w upgrade that will fix it ...
Indeed. That was quite a stupid setting to remove. One of the big pluses for Pentax is that their cameras are very customizable. Yet you say, "No, dark frame subtraction is REQUIRED."

What?
05-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
Indeed. That was quite a stupid setting to remove. One of the big pluses for Pentax is that their cameras are very customizable. Yet you say, "No, dark frame subtraction is REQUIRED."

What?
Yes, very stupid.
Even more so if you think of hotpixels being easily removable with software.
(Lightroom maps them away by default, for example)

I hope that Pentax will address this issue in the next f/w upgrade.