Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

SLR & Manual Focus lenses.

Hi all,
When using/mounting a manual focus zoom lens on the new pentax DSLRs, what is the FL value to enter( for eg - for an 80-200mm lens ) ?

08-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sumit Floyd Chaterji Quote
Hi all,
When using/mounting a manual focus zoom lens on the new pentax DSLRs, what is the FL value to enter( for eg - for an 80-200mm lens ) ?
It depends on where you shoot the most. If you plan to zoom a lot, I would set it to something in the middle of the range, like 135mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You have a couple approaches:
a) some enter the most used zoom focal length
b) others enter the middle
But I would suggest one of the following:
c) widest focal length, so the SR undercompensates rater than over compensates. This way it wont cause SR on the wider focal lengths, but it won't be as effective on the long focal lengths.
d) turn SR off, if you have good light (or rather, a fast enough focal length) it should be no problem. And then the focal length you input does not matter
08-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, I somewhat agree with all of the posts, but would tend to emphasize the situational aspects. Most likely, you will have a good idea of the length you'll be shooting. Take that into consideration, and then enter the most conservative value.

The worst thing you can do is magnify over-correction by entering a higher number. When I shoot a 14mm lens - I enter 12mm rather than 15mm because you get better results when you under-correct. Looking at it the other way, over-correction has an exponential impact. By the way, if you want to create some interesting abstract art take an UWA lens and enter something like 250mm (I've done that by mistake when I forget to check the setting). Instant art, especially when shooting in low light.

08-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks @ Adam, Na Horuk & SM Jim - valuable inputs all.. will try out the suggestions.
One more thing - even though I set the FL to a number, everytime when i switch on the camera it opens with the 'Input Focal Length' display screen and asks the FL to be entered.. is that normal or should the camera remember the previous entered FL value and go staight to the user mode dispaly ? (I'm shooting mostly on TAv).
08-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sumit Floyd Chaterji Quote
One more thing - even though I set the FL to a number, everytime when i switch on the camera it opens with the 'Input Focal Length' display screen and asks the FL to be entered.. is that normal or should the camera remember the previous entered FL value and go staight to the user mode dispaly ? (I'm shooting mostly on TAv).
The camera (or at least my K-01 and K-3) remembers the last focal length used, but it just offers that as the default, so all you have to press is OK if you are using the same lens as last time.
08-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The camera (or at least my K-01 and K-3) remembers the last focal length used, but it just offers that as the default, so all you have to press is OK if you are using the same lens as last time.
Thanks Sandy !

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 01:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You have a couple approaches:

But I would suggest one of the following:
c) widest focal length, so the SR undercompensates rater than over compensates. This way it wont cause SR on the wider focal lengths, but it won't be as effective on the long focal lengths.
I didn't quite get the highlighted part.. could you elaborate a bit please ??
08-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Just shoot fast enough shutter speed and turn off the SR?