Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 02:36 AM   #1

Pentax SR reaction time

Some nasty weather here recently and decided to dig around in my K100D, K10D and K20D metadata manufacturer section (to understand something like AF predictor, AF integration time etc.) hoping to improve something for shooting :-) Noticed that all 3 bodies had a very similar SR reaction time after shutter half-press: everything with smaller than 0.63 sec. was not stabilized (K10D had a minimal threshold of 0.65 sec, others 0.63). So I guess that Pentax SR has somehow (subjectively) shorter reaction or startup time than IS from Canon or VR from Nikon- although this is based only on my feeling and I could not find any proof for that over the net.

Best and a bit of patience (some 0.66 sec.) before shaking Your camera, JR

05-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just curious, how did you measure this time of 0.63? What did you use to determine this?

jason
05-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
From metadata (EXIF)

In image metadata manufacturer specific section it records SR status with timings etc.
Best and happy shaking, JR
05-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

can you rephrase your thesis please, i dont quite follow

so you're saying that if you press the shutter down, it will take 0.66 seconds before the SR activates once the button passes the half-press mark

meaninng that whatever time the shutter is open for for the remaineder of the 0.66 seconds after you complete the button press SR will not function?

05-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
can you rephrase your thesis please, i dont quite follow

so you're saying that if you press the shutter down, it will take 0.66 seconds before the SR activates once the button passes the half-press mark

meaninng that whatever time the shutter is open for for the remaineder of the 0.66 seconds after you complete the button press SR will not function?
I'm confused too. Is the OP just rehashing the delay built into the SR activation?

SR takes approx 2 sec to initialize after power-on or reviving from auto-off. It also takes about 1/2 sec to activate once you depress the shutter 1/2 way - I assume this is because it needs to know the focus distance in order to be effective.
05-13-2008, 03:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
My point was that Pentax SR takes at least 0.64 sec. to activate fully after shutter button half-press. Very quick for my needs (no action photography taken and seems that in AF-C SR is on all the time after the first activation, so in live-view).
Best and sorry for creating confusion, JR