Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Forum Member

printing paper

Now that I have my new K10D I want to upgrade the quality of my photos to match the camera's abilities. I usually buy cheap Future shop photo paper for my Canon Pixma iD6000D printer but I would like advice as to what other members use. Will Canon Paper be superior to all other brands for my printer or are there cheaper alternatives?

01-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We use Canon paper and are very happy with it. Never used any other kind so I can't compare it...
01-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl almost exclusively. It's a gorgeous paper. If I need a glossy, I'll use Canon Photo Paper Pro, it has a gloss that is indistinguishable from a wet print.
01-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use Ilford Gallerie Smooth Gloss which can be purchased from sams club for $23 for 100 sheets....Bob

01-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ilford gallerie satin pearl
and lumijet professional series
01-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not taking away from Trev99. Can you also state what printer you are using? Could be helpful to see how different printer ink reacts with different paper types.
01-29-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info xfraser, I think I will use Canon paper also. By the way I wanted to reply to all the people that answered this thread with one message but since I am rather new to this and a bit dozy (Limey's can be like that lol) I could'nt see how to do it. Could you give me a hint please ?
much obliged.

01-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
(Chuckles) ....well I think I already did it!
01-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trev99 Quote
(Chuckles) ....well I think I already did it!
Chuckled back. Sorry Trev. Did not mean you. Directed to the other posters. I'm checking out printers.

Since you're checking out paper, it might help both of us - I hear HP paper doesn't like canon ink and vice versa. What about Epson's?
01-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I know some people have success with 3rd party paper. However, the simplest and safest is to just buy the matching Canon paper. I've always been too lazy to search out other papers and such. The per print price savings just isn't worth it to me, so I go ahead and stock up on the good Epson paper (I've got an Epson printer). You may equal the results with some other paper, but you'll rarely exceed it. Of course, you'll pay a little more for the "company" paper.

These guys made a business out of measuring print life for various printers, inks and paper. Give their site a try.

Wilhelm Imaging Research
01-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #11

I have used Canon paper with my i9900, but since I have the Pentax K10D and have become an enthusiast of printing, I have switched to Red River paper for most of my stuff and in particular Red River Polar Glossy which IMHO beats the pants off of Canon Pro. It is more economical by far and the results are every bit as good if not better! For portraits or special art shots I use their Aurora Fine Art Natural and White papers and for a different surface I like RR Dourian. For framing I use either Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl or Iford Gallerie Classic Pearl...and for stunning landscapes that can be mounted and displayed without a covering of glass I use Pictorico White Film,,,the results are jaw-dropping!
Red River is an American company based in Texas but even though I am a Canadian I order their products and regardless of the shipping charges and dollar difference I still save money. Be sure to save up needs and order one big order to get the most savings.Their service is excellent...friendly and fast. You have to hunt around for the other papers but Google or Yahoo is good for this hunt.
To really enjoy printing and if you have the time and the money, try experimenting with a variety of papers. (OK for me to talk, I am happily retired) I store my prints in Vinyl portfolios (available at most good camera stores) according to size but I only print 13x19 down to 8.5x11 for myself and give my friends prints 5x7s on RR Satin paper.
Hope you all enjoy printing your stuff yourself...sure beats sending them to Wal-Mart! I get immediate satisfaction and have complete control of my stuff from shot to finished print...as for the cost, Pish! Can't take it with me!

To all Be well!

Leo
01-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
ISH

I also have to give high recommendations to the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl. I use it with my Canon Pro 9000 and get fabulous results. Yes I too have tried the Canon Pro paper, and after great results, I tried the Ilford Paper based on the sales person's recommendation. To put it simply, I've been blown away ever since and use the Ilford paper for 90% of my prints. I also have used Epson Heavyweight Matte paper with rather impressive results.

I have been thinking about trying a velvet or canvas print, anyone have any experience with excellent papers in that area?

Leo - You are right... sure beats Wal-Mart! I too love having complete control over my own prints, simply hands down the best results you can ask for.

Thanks,
ISH