Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-500 viewfinder question

Hi all:

I recently got a K-500 and like it a great deal. I normally shoot with the viewfinder rather than live view. But I noticed over the weekend that, when shooting in bright sunlight the viewfinder looks kind of grainy, like a consistent grainy texture all across the field of view. Is this a normal result of some kind of coating in the optics, or is there a problem with mine? I only noticed it in very bright sunlight, never bothered me in a week of shooting before that time.

Thanks!

08-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is most likely the grain on the focusing screen which is a piece of "frosted" glass that you are looking at inside the viewfinder. It's not really frosted that's just the closest word I could think of. Anyway it is normal.
08-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That is most likely the grain on the focusing screen which is a piece of "frosted" glass that you are looking at inside the viewfinder. It's not really frosted that's just the closest word I could think of. Anyway it is normal.
I think the word you're looking for is ground. Internal reflections off the lens won't help, but I think it's still much better than EVF
08-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roypercy Quote
Hi all:

I recently got a K-500 and like it a great deal. I normally shoot with the viewfinder rather than live view. But I noticed over the weekend that, when shooting in bright sunlight the viewfinder looks kind of grainy, like a consistent grainy texture all across the field of view. Is this a normal result of some kind of coating in the optics, or is there a problem with mine? I only noticed it in very bright sunlight, never bothered me in a week of shooting before that time.

Thanks!
Hi! Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Regardless of the term used, the graininess is normal and is produced by the surface of the focus screen. Pentax calls this a "precision matte" finish and its function is analogous to the ground glass focus screen traditionally used on view cameras. All focus screens have some sort of texture to make the image visible and there are many variations. Most modern screens are similar to that in your K-500 and all have visible texture if you look closely in the right light.

Steve

08-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hey thanks for the replies everybody. I figured it was ok but wanted to make sure. A rookie question I suppose!
08-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Roypercy Quote
Hey thanks for the replies everybody. I figured it was ok but wanted to make sure. A rookie question I suppose!
I'd like to add that with faster lenses, the focusing screen is harder to see- i.e. if you got the DA 35mm or DA 50mm lens, your viewfinder would look better than with the 18-35mm kit lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: