Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lots of good points here.

I think that the teacher probably is either new to photography or incredibly lazy and prefer saying the camera is no good instead of saying it'll be too much work for him to figure it out.

My sister in law was indeed defenceless since it is a non-refundable course and she doesn't know much about photography. The K5 may be complicated but at the same time, I always found that Pentax is among the easiest to use once setup properly and on the K5 everything relating to exposure has a button (aperture, shutter, ISO, compensation)... no need for digging in the menus.

08-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel sad for your sister-in-law. This was supposed to be a fun class and instead she got a toxic teacher. The Pentax perception problem is bigger than that bleeping teacher and I don't see it going away. It will probably get worse too.

M
08-04-2014, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #18
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Unfortunately the problem was that it was an introductory course. Guess who gets to teach those? People who just finished that course last semester. A real teacher would not have embarrassed anyone in class like that and would have done the research on the camera.

I took a class this spring and got an email from the teacher ahead of time with a list of gear needed and a request to know what camera I would be using so he "could research and be somewhat familiar with my gear" before the class. And he did, he knew what I was shooting and asked questions about it during the class to make sure I knew how to do on the K-3 what he was doing on his Nikon.
The people local to me that seem to teach those intro courses are also barely qualified to handle a camera, much less stand in front of a class and explain it and basic technique.

Just for kicks, a buddy of mine went to one of these a couple of years ago (him being around dSLRs for a couple of years and at the time fairly but not fully knowledgeable on how to operate one). The lady "teaching" (term used extremely loosely) barely knew which end was up. He asked several basic questions to which she had no correct response.. not even close. He got to attend it for free as a reviewer or consultant on the quality of the training... otherwise it was a good 50 or 60 bucks IIRC. In the end, he concluded he should have taught the class. /facepalm

I almost want to start attending these when they're free or really cheap just to make sure the teacher isn't throwing the class garbage info.

It is those same 'teachers' that offer (charge money) to take family/kid or senior photos and they turn out however the camera decided to make them (since the camera is doing the thinking for the person behind it pressing the button). But they're a 'professional' because they have a 'big' camera.

I suggested it once on here.. but I think Ricoh/Pentax really should donate and fund classroom training of their camera gear. Donate some Cameras and lenses to High Schools and Colleges and have them teach with a Pentax in hand. Can use any camera you want (with manual controls) as a student, but the course will be taught with a Pentax and with someone trained in how to use it (that won't bad mouth and say its a hunk of junk haha)

The school gets funding/equipment and Ricoh/Pentax get some brand exposure to some bright eyed, budding photographers who will remember the class was taught with a Pentax.

At the very least, even if they buy a Canikony or other brand.. they will at least see the Pentax is qualified for the job.

---------- Post added 08-04-14 at 07:36 PM ----------

On another note.. I actually sold my K-x to another friend because they told me they saw my photographs I took with it and realized it was capable (well with the proper technique).
08-04-2014, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I would contact the organization sponsoring the class and ask how they determine whether an instructor is qualified to run a class.

08-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

That's too bad that it's non refundable and she end up shelling out extra money for teacher's incompetence. I have been TAing for a couple years now and one thing that drives me crazy about that damn Rebels is lack of ISO limiter (among many other things). It's actually funny to hear from my instructor/mentor who is a Canon shooter (but not a gear head) that my camera has some pretty advanced features that not many Canons have when he saw me operating my K5/K3.
08-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Playing a bit of devil's advocate here (but not much): the teacher likely knows how to work only Canon and maybe Nikon and that's it. When I taught intro level math courses, we told the students to get Ti-83 calculators. We allowed them to use anything short of a TI-89 but told them that we would not be able to help them with anything other than the TI-83 and would not spend any of our time or resources to help students learn other models--there's just too many students and too little time to learn 10 different calculators.

Here, I'd expect that the teacher knows how Canon's models are setup and wants to make it quick: "Go into Menu 5 Page 3 and set..." But that's not what the teacher said. I'd understand if he said, "I won't be able to help you with that model and it is rude to make the class wait 5-10 minutes each time for you to catch up while you find the right setting." But he just didn't understand how it works...which means he doesn't actually know what anything is, just where it is in the menu.

I really struggle to imagine what a base level course needs other than aperture, shutter, and maybe ISO controls. An intro to photography course should teach things like DoF, exposure, and most importantly FRAMING and composition. It seems this course is "how to work a (Canon) camera." Doesn't sound like a good investment of time.

While the K5 outclasses the T3i in a zillion ways, I struggle to imagine how any photography course needs anything beyond basic manual control. Photography courses are supposed to be about taking good photos, not how to use specific camera features. Bonus features like HDR, bracketing, etc. shouldn't be a part of even the most advanced courses. Once you get to that point, you can figure that stuff out on your own.
08-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Teacher is obviously employed by or in the pocket of the local camera shop.
Reminds me of a funny story of when I was looking at buying my first DSLR...

I needed a camera fast since I was leaving on holidays in the following weeks. I really wanted a Kr but it was about a week delivery (from Henry's). So I figured I'd get one in town at FutureShop and opted for either a T2i or some Nikon I can't remember the model (they don't sell Pentax). I went to the store to check them out. It was a bit more expensive than I was hoping and since there was quite a few in stock (more than half a dozen) I decided to sleep over it. A couple days later I went back to the store to purchase a T2i only to find the shelves empty... All DSLR were gone, even the higher end models.

I asked to clerk WTF had happened and he smiled from ear to ear and said, well there is a photography class that started yesterday. He could order a T2i but it would be in store only about a week later...

In the end, I opted for plan B (which was technically plan A) and ordered a Kr from Henry's, and looking back, I'm glad I did.

I don't know who organise the photography classes around here but one thing is for sure, it sure does help selling cameras...

08-04-2014, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I would contact the organization sponsoring the class and ask how they determine whether an instructor is qualified to run a class.
Now this was the first, and so far, only reply that directly addresses the situation. Indeed, it's straight to the point and has the potential for something good to come from it. It sure beats my initial reaction - half my mind wanted to be politically incorrect and put the instructor's name out there in full public view.

Then again I'm too chicken and would have to change my sig.
08-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Playing a bit of devil's advocate here (but not much): the teacher likely knows how to work only Canon and maybe Nikon and that's it. When I taught intro level math courses, we told the students to get Ti-83 calculators. We allowed them to use anything short of a TI-89 but told them that we would not be able to help them with anything other than the TI-83 and would not spend any of our time or resources to help students learn other models--there's just too many students and too little time to learn 10 different calculators.

Here, I'd expect that the teacher knows how Canon's models are setup and wants to make it quick: "Go into Menu 5 Page 3 and set..." But that's not what the teacher said. I'd understand if he said, "I won't be able to help you with that model and it is rude to make the class wait 5-10 minutes each time for you to catch up while you find the right setting." But he just didn't understand how it works...which means he doesn't actually know what anything is, just where it is in the menu.

I really struggle to imagine what a base level course needs other than aperture, shutter, and maybe ISO controls. An intro to photography course should teach things like DoF, exposure, and most importantly FRAMING and composition. It seems this course is "how to work a (Canon) camera." Doesn't sound like a good investment of time.

While the K5 outclasses the T3i in a zillion ways, I struggle to imagine how any photography course needs anything beyond basic manual control. Photography courses are supposed to be about taking good photos, not how to use specific camera features. Bonus features like HDR, bracketing, etc. shouldn't be a part of even the most advanced courses. Once you get to that point, you can figure that stuff out on your own.
I can see your point but additionally surely the course would have to clearly spell out that it requires a Nikon / Cannon DSLR (list of models)?
Given that the sister in law was expecting a Pentax to be ok this was not spelt out. If it was me (and I realise its different if you are complete beginner) I would ask for a refund.

I also think that courses that require specific models / brands, is not very acceptable for a beginners course. Sure if you want to take a detailed or advanced course for Nikon DSLRs, thats fine if you have a Nikon DSLR.
Surely it would be a great opportunity for the tutor to learn something about other cameras / models and how hard could it be to do the basic stuff (set ISO / Shutter / aperture) on almost any DSLR?
08-04-2014, 06:04 PM - 8 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Lesson 1 - landscapes. Set camera to mountain icon.
Lesson 2 - portraits. Set camera to the little head icon.
Lesson 3 - sports. Set camera to running man icon.

K-5 didn't have those modes, so not suitable. Just my theory.
08-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #26
Pentaxian

It's sad, but in this day and age of courses sponsored by stores, these courses are designed as much to sell product as they are to promote photography. But those courses get run. It's real hard to make a living teaching photography without some kind of angle. The money has to come from somewhere.
08-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It was my thought at first but since the course is organized by the retiree club they belong to and is more than likely taught by one of their members or a relative or friend of one (remember, small town), it is a hornet nest I am not willing to kick in their name. The class is expensive enough (couple hundred bucks I believe) but does include some outings (i.e. a zoo, waterfalls), including transportation and will last until fall.

In the end, she probably will know a bit more about photography, even if some of it may be wrong. Hopefully she will continue to learn on her own afterwards.
08-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
Brought my (then) K-30 and FA Ltds to a photography class taught by Mr. Nikon himself and received a few "oh what is that...a PENTAX?! Wow" Hahaha...I've been to a few classes and never heard mention of Pentax except in passing. I guess it's hard for a lot of people to take a leap of faith and order something online that they can't touch and feel in the store...

Last edited by slipdm16; 08-04-2014 at 06:48 PM.
08-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sort of discouraging. I can understand if the teacher would say something like: "This camera actually has a lot more features than we cover in this course, but it is going to have a menu system that is different as well and it may be harder for you to learn." Just odd that they wouldn't have given her the option of struggling along. Most of the simple stuff (turning dial to P or Av) should be pretty similar between cameras. I can't imagine a huge amount of menu diving (and on the K5 95 percent of the stuff you need is accessible either from direct button pushes or from the info screen).
08-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Without reading the other responses, and presuming what you say is true, think she should drop the class immediately on account of the instructor's incompetence. There's no other way to put it... The teacher is incompetent and shouldn't be paid to teach photography.