Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Because (again no offence to anyone) most older folks I know are kinda technologically challenged...
I'm 68 (nearly), and I'm not technically challenged - in fact I build and upgrade my own computers, and I operate several camera systems from the Q to a 5x4 (not that I've used that for a long while). You young whippersnappers ought to remember that it is my generation that invented the PC and most of the techie gadgets that proliferate today! Some of us oldies can still keep up (though it's getting harder, I admit). Why, I can even manage to text on a good day

I'm saying this with a twinkle in my eye, because I know you meant no offence. But age isn't the reason for that guy's attitude - it's prejudice, or ignorance, or just plain laziness in my view.

08-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Some of us oldies can still keep up (though it's getting harder, I admit). Why, I can even manage to text on a good day

I'm saying this with a twinkle in my eye, because I know you meant no offence. But age isn't the reason for that guy's attitude - it's prejudice, or ignorance, or just plain laziness in my view.
My dad still thinks it's really neat that you can put a card into a machine and get money out...
08-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My dad still thinks it's really neat that you can put a card into a machine and get money out...
Well, that IS neat!
08-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still wondering where all that money comes from but I'm happy as long as it steadily comes out.

Ignorance is bliss they say.

08-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm 68 (nearly), and I'm not technically challenged - in fact I build and upgrade my own computers, and I operate several camera systems from the Q to a 5x4 (not that I've used that for a long while). You young whippersnappers ought to remember that it is my generation that invented the PC and most of the techie gadgets that proliferate today! Some of us oldies can still keep up (though it's getting harder, I admit). Why, I can even manage to text on a good day

Well, you know what Groucho Marx said about a man's age… Not that he was necessarily talking about technology, though, and I'm not far behind you. Still, even people of our advanced community standing have an obligation to keep up with what's happening around us, even some aspects of popular culture (I use the word in the deliberative sense).

Following the further explanation from the OP, I am a little surprised that someone who pursued a career in philosophy could be prejudiced by a single personal experience, but I'm astounded that they could take it on themselves to teach a course in a subject (basic or not) without getting a wider and deeper grasp of the devices involved in it, as well as the underlying general principles. Does the word "philosophy" not literally mean "love of wisdom"?
08-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's really neat I receive an immediate email to my phone Alerting me a withdrawal has been made from my account.

My own father (who swore he was born before airplanes) never quite made the connection between a debit card and his bank balance.

I'll just note that when local photography courses were taught from 1976 to as late as 2002 they were generally taught using the most basic SLR it was possible to buy - a Pentax K1000 - and basic was a feature, not a bug.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-06-2014 at 08:21 AM.
08-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #97
Pentaxian

My Dad's 71 and since his retirement, he taught himself 3D CAD and Solidworks. So I don't think "age" matters with technology if you're interested in it... It's not like old brains run out of space to store new information.

08-05-2014, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's sad, but in this day and age of courses sponsored by stores, these courses are designed as much to sell product as they are to promote photography

I didn't think of this, but you may have a point here. The instructor may have been trying to steer her to buy a camera from his shop. Or, maybe he's a sales rep for Canon.
Other than that, I simply can't understand how anyone who just looks at the top of the K5 with it's command dial laid out almost exactly the same as any Canonikon is and say that it's inadequate.

By the way, if you happen to live in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area, the Hayward Area Recreational District (HARD) has some very knowledgeable, passionate and creative photographers teaching classes and workshops. Here's their link: Welcome to PhotoCentral Online
08-06-2014, 12:32 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
If that were so, he would have said words to that effect and not bothered to examine the camera---unless he wanted to check whether Pentax features a Canon compatible mount (Heaven help the class if he did...). The reason was "This camera doesn't have all the correct features." That's just ignorance.

Besides, if the point were lens sharing, no Nikon would be allowed. What would he do if 2 only Nikon users showed up (and the rest Canon)? Besides, for this class, I'd expect nothing but kit lenses. Not very interesting to trade those around.
All you say is true, of course. My point is, anybody confronted with such a teacher would ask why their camera would be insufficient. And if the reply would then indicate the features, then even a pre-beginner photo-interested student would be very interested to know what exact features would be missing.
08-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Force the instructor to speak in terms a beginner with a K1000 can understand. If they can't talk in terms of ISO, aperture and shutter speed, they are worthless as an instructor.
08-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Ugh. Can't think of more worth saying, just - ugh.
08-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Ugh. Can't think of more worth saying, just - ugh.
I thought the joke was sufficiently self-deprecating to pass, but rather than attempting a tweak, I'm yielding to your judgment. I don't know if you know it yet, but certain aspects of aging -- and what has been called more comprehensively the 'absurdity' of the human condition -- have for many, required the jokes. Seriously. There's a long, long tradition here... and I know, having studied Classical Civilization: The History of Comedy with Erich Segal at a certain famous university and read comedy in Latin, just for starters. Some people think far darker jokes are routinely perpetrated on the young as well as the aging with respect to mortality, in the name of religion. And statistically speaking, I doubt you are all that offended by this. So I'll leave you with one word... no, not "plastics" -- Perspective.
08-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
As long as it can take memory cards (or film), you can change lenses, and you can adjust the iso, shutter speed, and aperture, it's more than sufficient for a beginner's photography class I would think.
A film SLR would probably work too, although it would be very inconvenient because the student wouldn't be able to review the photos instantly. Also, the ISO lessons would be lost, but the big ones are focal lengths, apertures, and shutter speeds.
08-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, that IS neat!
My thoughts too!

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I'm still wondering where all that money comes from but I'm happy as long as it steadily comes out.
There is an ink-jet printer in the ATM...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
but certain aspects of aging -- and what has been called more comprehensively the 'absurdity' of the human condition -- have for many, required the jokes.
Humor serves to diffuse the encroaching corruption of senility. I frequently substitute jokes for cleverness.

Steve
08-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #105
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Lesson 1 - landscapes. Set camera to mountain icon.
Lesson 2 - portraits. Set camera to the little head icon.
Lesson 3 - sports. Set camera to running man icon.

K-5 didn't have those modes, so not suitable. Just my theory.
Good theory.

I wonder what would have happened if someone asked what Tv meant on the dial? Teacher: "That's for taking pictures that you can show on your TV."