Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is an ink-jet printer in the ATM...
The major difference between reality and your explanations is the money is printed elsewhere and sent to the ATM...

But banks literally create money when you take a mortage (that what define a bank legally: the right to do exactly that). And a central Bank just add numbers on their computer to emit more money to regulate things

As funny your explanation appear at first, it is in fact a quite accurate explanation of how it works in reality.

08-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I wonder what would have happened if someone asked what Tv meant on the dial? Teacher: "That's for taking pictures that you can show on your TV."
Av. Are you one of those guys in the AV Club?
08-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #108
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
As funny your explanation appear at first...
Funny? I was funny? I was not trying to be funny!

Steve

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 11:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Av. Are you one of those guys in the AV Club?
Av means you have to call the projector guy to change the battery and SD card. Union rules, you know.

Steve
08-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But banks literally create money when you take a mortage (that what define a bank legally: the right to do exactly that). And a central Bank just add numbers on their computer to emit more money to regulate things
In a Fractional Reserve Currency system, yes. Money is created in the sense that only a 'reserve' against Demand Deposits (for instance, transactional, or checking account deposits) must be kept in the bank. If new deposits (Reserves) come into the bank, a portion of the Reserves must be held and the rest of the deposits (Excess Reserves) can be lent. Of course the new money (from the loan) is deposited somewhere, and only part of THAT deposit must be reserved, so the rest of THAT can be lent. This process continues to its logical fractional end - it is called the deposit expansion multiplier.

The lower the 'Reserve Ratio' set by the Central Bank, the higher the new money created when new reserves are deposited.

Since 2008 Fed management of Bank Reserves in the US Banking system has become highly complex and, some would say, arbitrary and capricious.

08-08-2014, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #110
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can someone please take a picture of my head @ 1/500 or higher and send it back to me. i want to see what it looked like before it began spinning!
08-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
All in all, it does show that publicity is important but availability is crucial. Very few small local store carry Pentax and it's a pity, if more people turned out with Pentax bodies, surely none of that would have happened.
Regarding publicity and availability, I was impressed to see that the International Center of Photography in NYC offers two camera brands for rental by its beginning photography students: Canon and ... Pentax. Smart move on the part of Pentax USA.
08-08-2014, 02:49 PM - 3 Likes   #112
Veteran Member

Lesson no. 2 by the instructor at the course is how to clean Canon lenses and sensor:

08-08-2014, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Lesson no. 2 by the instructor at the course is how to clean Canon lenses and sensor:

How you clean the Canon Mark 2 sensor and the 24-105 - YouTube
Sorry but ...)))))) The bubble sound is priceless
08-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
The bubble sound is priceless
That's when you know the cleaning is working
08-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #115
Site Supporter

I noticed he was careful not to get his watch wet.
08-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Sorry but ...)))))) The bubble sound is priceless
Thats the camera screaming.
08-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Well... I guess there really is that stigma that photography nowadays is related more to brand than the medium being captured (light...what else). I wonder what reaction the teacher in the OP's post would be if a student brought in a Lomography camera...

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This is a very useful point. Older people know and remember Pentax, and often with much fondness. Younger people simply have no idea what a Pentax is. Over the last decade or two, Pentax marketing has really failed to connect the brand with the under 40's, it seems, let alone the under 25's.
It connected to me and a few people I know in our local community but then again we're like 1% to 3% out of all camera buyers in my area.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I had a guy who tried to tell me his t3i was a professional camera, and that he was sad for me that I had to use Pentax. I then took a picture with my Tamron 17-50 on it with no flash indoors, showed it to him, and almost made him cry. I then asked him if his camera could do that. It couldn't. He has never showed up at an anime convention I've been at again.
So it seems there's a fellow here attending hobby conventions too. I have a similar image in the local events here before -- "the Pentax guy," until recently when there are around 3 to 4 Pentax users in each convention I go to. Interesting turn, really. I don't know them, neither do we high-five each other for recognizing the brand-- but I'm still happy I'm not the lone Pentaxian now.
08-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #118
Veteran Member

I distinctly remember in one of my photo classes that they guy with the most expensive camera took the worst pictures. I mean this guy with a then top-of-the-line Nikon F4 couldn't shoot himself out of a wet paper bag. Then years later I read that student from, Columbia University (I think) won some kind of national photo competition with just a Pentax K1000 and a 50mm lens. Go figure.
08-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #119
Veteran Member

I don't get a lot of reaction to my camera because it is Pentax, and I find it silly that there is a reason for a reaction. Recent looking around at camera options has showed me that the difference between brands isn't all that great other than selection and price. I know when I purchased into Pentax in the first place it was a matter of apparent value. I also admit some ignorance in basing my skipping of Canon or Nikon because of bad experiences with both brands with P&S cameras. My film camera was a Minolta, and I felt that Pentax was the closest to what I loved on my Minolta.

Many people buy their first dSLR blindly, or even semi-blindly as was my case. When I walk through my local Costco and see 2 or 3 dSLR's for sale an they're Canon or Nikon, I realize that most photographers I see out traveling around just pick those things up at Costco as giant P&S cameras. They don't learn much beyond a P mode nor buy lenses for it. The few that go beyond a working knowledge, probably the group that will take those cameras and do some type of class in a Canikon world, are the ones who are mostly likely to comment or criticize my use of a Pentax camera. I've quite even trying to respond to that group.

The pro type photographers that I run into will actually complement my camera. They are usually people who recognize that a camera is a camera. They're sometimes surprised that Pentax makes cameras. They're sometimes surprised that I was able to find one (they know about them but won't mail order them). Older photographers will be nostalgic. Some will come away thinking they'll buy one just so they can use the old glass they love. My experience is that generally, photographers are not the snobs we think they might be. Those that are, probably aren't much of photographers to begin with.

As for younger people not using Pentax. I think there is a market out there waiting to be tapped. I purchased my Pentax at the age of 30. As I mentioned value was a huge factor. With cameras like the K10d (when I bought mine), a K5, K3, etc... you are essentially getting many of the features only available with $2000 bodies in Canon or Nikon for half the price. You also have many in a younger generation who might be the children of Pentax owners. I also notice when I travel around that the other common comments I get are from other Pentax dSLR owners whom are often younger than me. It's that value thing.

Anyway, there is a market to be had, and I think it would be great if Pentax cameras were more visible in classes and so forth.
08-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Well... I guess there really is that stigma that photography nowadays is related more to brand than the medium being captured (light...what else). I wonder what reaction the teacher in the OP's post would be if a student brought in a Lomography camera...

It connected to me and a few people I know in our local community but then again we're like 1% to 3% out of all camera buyers in my area.

So it seems there's a fellow here attending hobby conventions too. I have a similar image in the local events here before -- "the Pentax guy," until recently when there are around 3 to 4 Pentax users in each convention I go to. Interesting turn, really. I don't know them, neither do we high-five each other for recognizing the brand-- but I'm still happy I'm not the lone Pentaxian now.
I will go a convention with K30 and Tamron 17-50 amd DA40 - DA40 would be fun to shoot other cosplayers I believe AF noise won't be an issue