Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
A crazy idea for bursting

So I was thinking... I got one of those cheap Chinese wired remotes yesterday. One with a shutter hold. How long can I burst? Has anyone ever tried crazy-long bursts?

If I set the camera to capture low-quality 2MP JPEGS, it says I can fit over 20,000 photos on my 8GB card. at 3fps, it would take almost two hours to do that.

I'm not willing to try it with my only camera, but it would be interesting to see how long the camera would hang in there.

05-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just try it, it's only a camera. It will be superseeded before you wear it out anyway. If you really want to play around and be safe then maybe just 'test' it out for 10mins.

mike
05-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Pentax says burst is limited to 115 frames. Could then do more after camera processes first batch.
thanks
barondla
05-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Burst

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax says burst is limited to 115 frames. Could then do more after camera processes first batch.
thanks
barondla
I don't think that the OP was referring to the 20fps burst in the K20D. I believe he is referring to normal 3 fps shooting in a K10D (his sig shows a K10D).

While 20,000 frames is no where near the design life of the shutter, I would worry about the sensor overheating or some other short-term effects. That many frames won't wear the camera out, but doing it that fast, without a rest, may cause problems.

Your battery almost certainly won't last for 20k shots, even with a grip and its extra battery, so you would have to use an AC adapter.

05-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have also read somewhere that the sensor can overheat. Not only with a long burst but also with a long exposure. Maybe the Pentax site will have something about it?
05-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
I ran a long burst this morning on my way to work. The photos are still in the camera, so I can't see the exact time, but it looks like it was about 3 minutes. I took 350 shots.

The funny thing was listening to the mirror slap. There was a 15-shot cycle. The first four shots were fast. Starting with shot five, the rate slowed ever so slightly (but still noticable). Then, after the 15th shot, there was about a 1/2-second pause, and the cycle started over again.

This was with a Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card, shooting at 6MP.
05-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The K10D will burst at 3fps to the capacity of the card. With a decent speed card. Saw a guy do over 500 frames once to see if it would work. Has to be on jpeg. He used at 10mp.
thanks
barondla