Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just hold a Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by momtographer Quote
and I saw a nikon d40 on display and decided to test it out, the second I picked it up I laughed my a** off, just like canons they feel like toys to me and it was so teensy,like a complex point and shoot, I cant believe I was so tempted to switch. Whoever said it was right, just HOLD a pentax.

I ~puffy heart~ my camera
True Story

Just yesterday afternoon I was taking barbeque party candid shots of friends at a nice park w/ a K10D and DA 50~200 and Sigma 530 flash. Guy in the group w/ a Nikon D200 and DX 55-200 and a Speedlite comes up and I politely say, "Nice camera." Now I know I have a nice consumer lens and a great body, but this guy is wearing his camera like a Rolex.

He kinda grunts something in reply and we shoot away, but he's taking 5x as many, bracketed I think or just machine-gunning, cursing the recharge delay on his flash and I'm taking one composed shot at a time (I'm just slow, not that good).

He catches on after about 15 minutes and comes over to chat, and I offer my camera for him to examine.

He brings the Pentax up to his face, his eyes get real big and he says, "This just feels right."

Guy swore he'd go out today to trade the Nikon for the K20 - Creve Couer Camera stores have them in stock - says the salesman at his store pushed him hard to buy the Nikon.

Just hold a Pentax!

05-09-2008, 05:16 AM   #17
Banned

that is so awesome.
05-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Pentax is starting to sell on Walmart.com. Not sure if it's out there yet, but Ned Bunnell (President of Pentax US) said on his blog that they had signed a deal with Walmart for online sales. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Obviously Pentax thinks it's good.
Will this include DSLR line or just P&S? Walmart here by me only has Nikon D40 (x version if I remember) and Canon XTi (whatever the version is). No other DSLR is displayed.
05-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Over on Ned Bunnell's blog he states that it is a walmart.com brand store. So you will definately see DSLRs in the Pentax Brand store on walmart.com. I'm guessing in-store stock will varry from store to store. I would think if more people did the "in-store pickup" of Pentax DSLRs someone would recognize that there is a lot of demand for the brand and would put in a stocking order. Or maybe I'm hoping for just a little too much.

05-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

So true.

The Canons at work are plastic-fantastic toys. I enjoyed the feel of the Nikon D100, D70, D50. They all felt sturdy and comfortable like my F80. Almost bought a D50 (my dad did.) Then Nikon released the D40 and I thought -- what is this junk? Light, creaky, and poor grip material.

At that point I started looking around a little further, and I had to seek out a little independent electronics store to actually handle a Pentax. Glad I did!
05-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
I like to go to a real camera store, talk to a real salesman, and test it out in person. They gotta live to ya know.

As far as me buying one at Wal mart etc, not a chance. Any store that sells lettuce and beer, will not know a lot about cameras, at least thats the case in my "hood".

Dave
Dave,
You are buying a finished commodity, not a service. The product is warranted by Pentax and Walmart would be an authorized seller. You can return it, if it doesn't checkout in a day or two. Not all of us can afford, or want to pay full retail. At least you can see what you are getting, unlike many of the ripoff NYC mailorder websites.

Dave
05-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

In the Local Asda store (coincidently, owned by Wal Mart) they have a camera section. Amongst all the compacts and bridge cameras for sale, they have a lone SLR to buy.
which one?

The Pentax K100D of course!

05-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Dave,
You are buying a finished commodity, not a service. The product is warranted by Pentax and Walmart would be an authorized seller. You can return it, if it doesn't checkout in a day or two. Not all of us can afford, or want to pay full retail. At least you can see what you are getting, unlike many of the ripoff NYC mailorder websites.

Dave
Dave, that is true, and i don't disagree with your statement. Its just been my experience, in Wal mart Staples, and Future shop, in my area, asking questions to the salesman is quite pointless, as the just read the answers of the box.
Like when i was looking at staying with Canon printers or move over to the Epson. I went in with 3 specific questions, that would determine what i bought. Each time i asked my questions, he read some descriptions off of the box, nothing to do with my quiry.

I went to Henrys, paid a few dollars more, nothing to serious, and got the answers and service i wanted. I moved to Epson BTW.:-)

Hire some one that knows something about the product, or train them, don't send the guy from stoves and fridges over and try and sell me a camera.

Dave
05-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I got my K100d 2 zoom kit at Future Shop,and had no problems. Actually another camera store had a sale a week after I bought mine so I took my camera in and they beat the other price by a bit and I ended up getting it for $100 cheaper.

I think a lot has to do with individual stores and managers. Some are good and some aren't.
05-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

A pentax K10D just feels solid to hold and feel much the same as a 40D ,D3 but with the advantage of SR the Pentax sold me

cheers
05-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #26

I saw a Pentax dslr in a WalMart store about a year + ago. I live just down the road from the home office of WalMart, so we get stuff that a lot of other stores never do. They sometimes use the local stores as a test for certain products. I was surprised to see it. It was the ist, not the k10. But the people working the counter couldn't tell me a thing about it when I asked.
05-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #27

I got my K10D on ebay for under $1000 with the basic 18-55 kit lense (november last year) . I'd never pay the full retail price. I guess I was taking a risk but I did heaps of research on SLRs and for what the Penatx had to offer for the price was excellent.
Here in Australia nearly all the big camera shops sell pentax cameras, I saw the 20D the other day.
05-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

^^^ the K10d and 20D just offer more
ie.every lens connected is SR

where as Canon nikon do have nice lens but you pay the premium to have the same effect
05-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't see a problem with Walmart selling Pentax - after all, I don't go to Walmart to get "expert advice" on anything

I just went to walmart.com and searched for Pentax. They list:
Pentax 'DA' 50-200mm f4-5.6 ED Zoom Lens $249.84
Pentax Battery Grip BG2 $148.84
Pentax K20D 14.6 MP Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm Lens $1,379.84

They have a couple of other items including a small flash and the battery.

As you can see, not exactly bargain bin pricing either.
05-11-2008, 03:22 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I have no problem with Wal mart selling them, just service in stores like walmart.:-)

FWIW at our area chain store.

50-200 $199
BG2 $199
K10D no lens $1349

Dave