Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #16

Re using lens caps with hoods. I just picked up center-pinch lens caps to ensure I could easily use caps with hoods. I have three brands - Nikon (gasp!), Tamron, Hama- because I couldn't find all the right sizes with any single brand.

FWIW, my order of preference:

Nikon

The slightly deeper and flat pinch surface provides a larger and more secure area of contact between my fingers and the cap.

Tamron

Its more rounded and slighty more shallow pinch surface doesn't provide as large an area of contact between my fingers and the cap, so isn't quite as secure.

Hama

Nowhere near the quality of the Nikon and Tamron; weaker spring tension and shorter pinch travel, smaller and shallower pinch area.

05-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I recently found a 49mm petal hood from Promaster at PennCamera. According to the salesman, it is a new product that they just started selling. Works great on the 50/1.4
05-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
if you have a 43ltd, you could use that hood.
if don't have a 43ltd, that a good enough reason to get one.
Actually, as much as I love the FA50, I was browsing the Pentax Lens Review forum and surprised to see that some people paid LESS than $200 for a 43 Limited!! Oh, to have a Limited...
05-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pfoiles Quote
I recently found a 49mm petal hood from Promaster at PennCamera. According to the salesman, it is a new product that they just started selling. Works great on the 50/1.4
Could you post a pic?

05-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #20

My 43mm F/1.9 Limited lens came with a round screw-on hood and matching cap. I unfortunately damaged the hood, but the cap is fine still. The hood is listed as Pentax part mh-ra49. It is not available on the US Pentax site nor are any of the other special hoods for Pentax lenses. What does one do if one wants to get original Pentax replacement lens hoods and caps? I can easily locate the part on some Japanese sites, but they generally do not ship to the US. On those sites the part is about Y3110 in cost. At Adorama, I found this and this which are similar. I don't mind paying for the privilege of getting the original part, since it keeps the resale value of my lens high, but I just don't see an easy way of buying it. I checked Amazon.jp also, it is listed but they do not ship to the US. Am I going to be forced to ask friends visiting Japan to stop at Bic Camera or a similar store and buy it for me? Surely there is an easier way.
Footnote: I love the lens - what a terrific all purpose lens with autofocus on the K-5, and what stunning shots. It is especially awesome for indoor flash shots.
05-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
not to throw a wrench into things, but any hood for an FA lens would only be partially effective on a DSLR.

The reason, the hood design would be based upon prevention if vignetting , and since the image circle is smaller on a DSLR, resulting in a reduced fierld of view, he hood will not be optimum for prevention of glare, while not causing vignetting.

I requested in a previous post, whether anyone knew of a supplier of hoods optimized for ASP-C sensors. I got no reply
Can you explain please - somehow I didn't got this logic - The field of view remains the same for the lens and also to the fact that FA50 is a full frame lens, shouldn't vignetting be less pronounced on APC-C using the same hood?
05-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Can you explain please - somehow I didn't got this logic - The field of view remains the same for the lens and also to the fact that FA50 is a full frame lens, shouldn't vignetting be less pronounced on APC-C using the same hood?
Yes, vignetting would be less pronounced on an APS-C sensor using the same hood (which was intended for FF). So the point is that you could ideally make the hood larger (longer) to offer more protection from glare if using the lens in conjunction with a crop sensor.

Last edited by dgaies; 05-25-2011 at 07:09 AM.
05-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Yes, vignetting be less pronounced on an APS-C sensor using the same hood (which was intended for FF). So the point is that you could ideally make the hood larger (longer) to offer more protection from glare if using the lens in conjunction with a crop sensor.
Yes, that's was I though but can you explain

QuoteQuote:
but any hood for an FA lens would only be partially effective on a DSLR.

05-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #24

The way I think about it is FOV rather than FL. So on the film bodies, I would use a 50 hood on the 50 lens. If I use one of the 50's on the DSLR, I use the Pentax 85 hood made for the M85/2. I think I have at least a couple of spare 85mm M hoods. If anyone needs one, drop me a PM.

I also tend to "experiment" a little with the hoods. Nearly all the pull out hoods are next to useless and far too short. The older clip on hoods for the K series lenses were much better. I have a selection and many of the old metal Takumar hoods work well with M lenses but not so good with the K's as the "standard" thread was 52mm instead of 49mm.

Other ideas, the rectangular 50 hoods work well with the 35/2 for FF and with the 28's for DSLR.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I requested in a previous post, whether anyone knew of a supplier of hoods optimized for ASP-C sensors. I got no reply
05-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Yes, that's was I though but can you explain
If you were to design two lens hood for the FA50, one for a FF sensor and one for a crop sensor, making them as protective as possible without vignetting, the lens hood designed for the crop sensor would be larger than the hood designed for the FF sensor. The hood designed for the FF sensor (or in the past, film) can certainly be used in conjunction with a crop sensor, but it won't be as large as it could be, and therefore somewhat less effective as compared to a hood designed specifically for the lens/crop sensor.

FWIW, I know several Sigma lenses that are FF compatible (including the new 85/1.4) are sold with an extention ring for the hood that can be placed between the end of the lens and hood in order to make the hood longer for use on crop sensors.
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote

Anyhow, when I'm using my beloved FA50, I have no hood. I feel naked. B&H offers two hoods that fit the FA50, but one is backordered, and the other is ugly. Is there an available petal-shaped hood? Howabout a non-Pentax hood? As popular as the FA50 is, surely someone has gone through this before.

Thanks.
I rarely ever go through this, as I use rubber collapsible hoods (B&H has the original Pentax version) on my hoodless primes whenever possible (I have one on my F50, as a matter of fact), even replacing those petal hoods I can't stand on my zooms with 3 stage versions. Not a perfect solution on the zooms, but better than the sparse alternatives I've encountered, IMHO.
05-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I generally just go up a click up on the lenses that I use with my DSLR. For instance, on my 50mm lens, I use a hood designed for an 85mm lens. On my 100mm macro, I use a hood that was intended for a 135mm lens. I should add that these hoods were originally film camera hoods. To test them, I find an evenly-lit blank wall, shoot it at my widest aperture, then look for vignetting.