Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens hood options for FA50

In the never-ending hood vs filter debate, I'm a hood guy. If I (heaven forbid) ever drop my camera, I think a hood offers decent protection for the front element.

But let's not have that debate here.

Anyhow, when I'm using my beloved FA50, I have no hood. I feel naked. B&H offers two hoods that fit the FA50, but one is backordered, and the other is ugly. Is there an available petal-shaped hood? Howabout a non-Pentax hood? As popular as the FA50 is, surely someone has gone through this before.

Thanks.

05-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
In the never-ending hood vs filter debate, I'm a hood guy. If I (heaven forbid) ever drop my camera, I think a hood offers decent protection for the front element.

But let's not have that debate here.

Anyhow, when I'm using my beloved FA50, I have no hood. I feel naked. B&H offers two hoods that fit the FA50, but one is backordered, and the other is ugly. Is there an available petal-shaped hood? Howabout a non-Pentax hood? As popular as the FA50 is, surely someone has gone through this before.

Thanks.
not to throw a wrench into things, but any hood for an FA lens would only be partially effective on a DSLR.

The reason, the hood design would be based upon prevention if vignetting , and since the image circle is smaller on a DSLR, resulting in a reduced fierld of view, he hood will not be optimum for prevention of glare, while not causing vignetting.

I requested in a previous post, whether anyone knew of a supplier of hoods optimized for ASP-C sensors. I got no reply
05-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Lowell has a point, but also consider joefru's needs. He wants a hood to help protect the lens in case of a fall, or maybe walking into something. In that case, a FF hood would still work for your needs.

But as Lowell mentions, it won't be optimum for preventing glare. It may still help a bit, but it won't help as much as a hood designed for APS-C sensors.
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use an old Takumar 1:1.8 55mm metal lens hood with a 58mm pinch-side lens cap over the front opening. The hood's 49mm thread matches the FA 50's filter thread.

Works great!

05-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hoods for APS-c

Lowell: I have a rectangular and a round hood appropriate for each of my lenses in 43mm diagonal format.

I have also a freeware called f/calc on my home PC that calculates angle of view and field of view for any lens focal length in any film or sensor format, including APS-c.

Perhaps I can figure out the lip height and objective diameter for a hood in APS-c, but I'm not sure about that.

Do you think it would work (although it would be tedious) to find the APS-c angle of view for a lens, then find the closest angle of view for a shorter lens in 35mm, and use that hood on the longer lens? Like say a 35 hood on a 50 in APS-c?

If you think that would work mathematically I'll do the work and start a thread for the Forum.

There is an ebay dealer who markets "plain label" metal hoods in all lengths - might be a source.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
not to throw a wrench into things, but any hood for an FA lens would only be partially effective on a DSLR.

The reason, the hood design would be based upon prevention if vignetting , and since the image circle is smaller on a DSLR, resulting in a reduced fierld of view, he hood will not be optimum for prevention of glare, while not causing vignetting.

I requested in a previous post, whether anyone knew of a supplier of hoods optimized for ASP-C sensors. I got no reply

Last edited by monochrome; 05-08-2008 at 03:50 PM.
05-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
Banned

I don't know why you would want a pedal shaped hood for front element protection as that would give the least amount. there are plenty of 3rd party 49mm hoods on ebay and plenty of old takumar lens hoods as well. the only 'official' pentax lens hoods for the 50mm would be the screw-on hood: PH-RA49, clip-on hood: PH-SA49 & screw-on hood: RH-RC49 but good luck finding one of those. I suppose the PH-S49 rectangle lens hood would work just as well (I use it on my A 50mm) but is meant for 35 and 28mm lenses.
05-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A solid metal screw-on third party lens hood sounds like it would be fine for you also, if you can't find a dedicated petal hood. These would be floating around second hand shops, or perhaps even eekbay. I have one of these and am happy that this gives the lens a good deal of protection - I have the added use of using it as a CPL plane adjuster.

05-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've got a rubber lens hood for my 50mm FA 1.4 and it is perfect. and the best of all it is cheap. its not petal, but does not need to be.

if you want to know what it is like try this link

JACOBS Rubber Lens Hood 49mm* for £4.99*at*Jacobs Digital Photography & Video
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I've got a rubber lens hood for my 50mm FA 1.4 and it is perfect. and the best of all it is cheap. its not petal, but does not need to be.

if you want to know what it is like try this link

JACOBS Rubber Lens Hood 49mm* for £4.99*at*Jacobs Digital Photography & Video

I have a rubber hood as well, and while it works as a hood, it doesn't provide any protection of the front element since it will just collapse if you bump it into anything. I also have a rectangular hood, which I like a lot. Only problem is you can't have a cap and a hood on at the same time, but hasn't been an issue thus far.
05-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I can understand what you mean, but the hood I have the cap is easily put in and take off.
05-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

some images of the hood I am talking about

Here are some images of the hood I am talking about. Although it is not solid, but rubber, it does have the advantage of you able to put the cap on when not in use. I have also found that it does reduce CA a bit at high ISO's

worth looking at.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S5000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S5000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S5000  Photo 
05-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have also a freeware called f/calc on my home PC that calculates angle of view and field of view for any lens focal length in any film or sensor format, including APS-c.
Thanks for the tip! Nice program, here is the link to it in case anyone is interested in downloading it: f/calc
05-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #13

if you have a 43ltd, you could use that hood.
if don't have a 43ltd, that a good enough reason to get one.
05-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rectangular Lens Hoods with caps

QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
I have a rubber hood as well, and while it works as a hood, it doesn't provide any protection of the front element since it will just collapse if you bump it into anything. I also have a rectangular hood, which I like a lot. Only problem is you can't have a cap and a hood on at the same time, but hasn't been an issue thus far.
Hama makes a rectangular lens hood with a fitting cap, if you want. Here's a link to the B&H description Hama | 52mm Snap-On Plastic Wide Angle Lens Hood with | HA-93124
05-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
if you have a 43ltd, you could use that hood.
if don't have a 43ltd, that a good enough reason to get one.
Dont make me want to spend more money.....LOL