Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I do a lot of birding with a DA*300 and 1.4X TC. I frequently crop images very hard. There is a significant difference between 16mp and 24mp for my use. The comparison of a K-5 with a 1.5X TC being equivalent to a K-3 without TC is a good analogy (optical vs. digital zoom). Of course there is a noise penalty for cropping, but it is worthwhile for birding. Noiseware does a great job cleaning noise.

Others have mentioned the K-3's improved AF-C and tracking, but no one has mentioned the much smaller center point. I am constantly shocked at how the K-3's center focus point can pick out a bird from the surrounding branches.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-09-2014 at 06:15 AM.
08-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I do a lot of birding with a DA*300 and 1.4X TC. I frequently crop images very hard. There is a significant difference between 16mp and 24mp for my use. The comparison of a K-5 with a 1.5X TC being equivalent to a K-3 without TC is a good analogy (optical vs. digital zoom). Of course there is a noise penalty for cropping, but it is worthwhile for birding. Noiseware does a great job cleaning noise.

Others have mentioned the K-3's improved AF-C and tracking, but no one has mentioned the much smaller center point. I am constantly shocked at how the K-3's center focus point can pick out a bird from the surrounding branches.
Well that's a game changing feature I hadn't seen mentioned before. This is one of my biggest pet peeves about the K-5IIs. Way to cost me money!
08-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
Well that's a game changing feature I hadn't seen mentioned before. This is one of my biggest pet peeves about the K-5IIs. Way to cost me money!
I didn't see any change in center AF point size. I have seen difference in all other AF point through that are really smaller through (except the 2 most extreme on left & right).

But I think the center AF point is still improved. Focus is more decisive and faster. I can't say for bird as what I seen compared to my K5 was more it worked better with fast lens than before (and DA300 + TC is not exactly one would call a fast lens) and that independantly of the sensor points, the in body motor was faster too.