Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

I have a exposure question

I'm not real sharp with SLR's. I saw a review on the k200d and they were showing pictures taken at 100 iso and 30 sec. How would I get the camera to take a 30sec picture?

Thanks

05-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put it on a tripod, set it to manual mode, and set your exposure for the maximum of 30 seconds. Of course depending on the lighting, 30 seconds could easily be way too long.
05-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Put it on a tripod, set it to manual mode, and set your exposure for the maximum of 30 seconds. Of course depending on the lighting, 30 seconds could easily be way too long.
Or:
Put it on a tripod, set it o Tv mode, set time of 30 seconds and if it's bit darker you may get correct exposure...
05-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you sure it wasn't 1/30sec as 30 sec is quite long.

05-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Any of the auto modes will meter down to 30 seconds.
05-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Another option is to set it to AV mode, choose your aperture setting and let the camera decide on the shutter speed.
If you select ISO 100 and it's dark or night time, the higher the F speed, the longer the shutter speed as well.

OF COURSE, you will need a tripod for such a long shutter speed, or your shot will be a blurred mess.

Check out this week's mini-contest for "Night scenes" and pull the EXIF on them...different techniques yield differing results.

Jason
05-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In theory you could put the camera in Tv, set 30 sec. shutter speed, and if its not too bright, or too dark, the camera will select the correct aperture size. The aperture number will "flash" continuously if it is beyond the camera's capability wide open or maximum stopped down.

Likewise in Av mode, select an aperture size which will result in the camera choosing a shutter speed approximately 30 sec.

However, I've found that the camera really doesn't meter accurately in such extreme low-light situations. You're pretty much on your own, may need to take a few shots at different exposure compensation to get it right, or shoot RAW and adjust the brightness later in PP.

I've taken 5 minute moon-light shots with a cable release before, at ISO200. Reasonably good quality, as long as you choose the lowest possible ISO sensitivity, and make sure Noise Reduction is on.
05-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
In theory you could put the camera in Tv, set 30 sec. shutter speed, and if its not too bright, or too dark, the camera will select the correct aperture size. The aperture number will "flash" continuously if it is beyond the camera's capability wide open or maximum stopped down.

Likewise in Av mode, select an aperture size which will result in the camera choosing a shutter speed approximately 30 sec.

However, I've found that the camera really doesn't meter accurately in such extreme low-light situations. You're pretty much on your own, may need to take a few shots at different exposure compensation to get it right, or shoot RAW and adjust the brightness later in PP.

I've taken 5 minute moon-light shots with a cable release before, at ISO200. Reasonably good quality, as long as you choose the lowest possible ISO sensitivity, and make sure Noise Reduction is on.
Do you use external meter to get the right exposure time for anything beyond 30sec? Or how else is it possible to figure it out?

05-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Do you use external meter to get the right exposure time for anything beyond 30sec? Or how else is it possible to figure it out?
You can figure out exposure with old books that handle available light photography. Some of them even have exposure scales in the book for really odd situations.

There was a series of books by a Dr. Tidings (?) in the late 1950's and 1960's, one of which had a massive set of scales for every conceivable situation. I seem to have lost mine over the years, unfortunately. I'll have to check out old books and see what I can come up with. The particular book I had was his guide to Pentax cameras.

With your dSLR, of course, you can just keep on trying exposures until your LCD tells you you have a good one.
05-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a great discussion of this here--it will actually teach you how to calculate, with only your own brain, all the various exposure combinations. You also can print out a chart (scroll down) to use until you get things in memory. i hope I inserte the link correctly--trying to get adjusted to this site's software.

Ultimate Exposure Computer

Best Regards,

Ernest