Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
AFAIK, Canon EF owners can't use the company's film lenses without crappy glass adapters or tubes that struggle with infinity focus.
They can use lenses originally designed for Canon EOS film cameras. Yes, the EF mount predated the digital era by about a decade (1987) and was designed to allow body-controlled auto focus using an in-lens motor. It was the earlier FD and FL mounts that were totally orphaned. A huge installed base of excellent optics suddenly became obsolete and only usable on legacy cameras. Canon owners were not happy.

The main issue for Canon FF users and adapted glass is related to mirror clearance. This problem is long running (since the 1960s) and was the bane of people wanting to use t-mount lenses on their Canon cameras. The short registration distance makes for tight clearance, with the result that protruding rear elements and coupling hardware would come afoul of the mirror.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-15-2014 at 03:01 PM.
08-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think mirrorless brands give better legacy acces than Canon DSLRs (especially FF).
I'm sure, but the OP asked about Canon vs. Pentax.

AFAIK, Canon EF owners can't use the company's film lenses without crappy glass adapters or tubes that struggle with infinity focus.
Indeed, but in 2014 I just don't see or hear many complaints about FD mount lenses. People bitter about what happened in 1987 have left the platform or passed on, though I'm somehow certain the Internet has plenty of hangouts for cranky photographers. I have seen consistently positive comments about mounting Nikon glass on EOS bodies.

We're spoiled on the K-mount platform.
I think the scarcity of new lenses and lens designs in K-mount, combined with notably fewer-to-deprecated third-party offerings (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Zeiss, Cosina Voigtlander) can facilitate the looking backwards at older glass among Pentax users. I never felt that I was being "spoiled" facing this as a Pentax shooter.

M
08-16-2014, 03:10 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
cheers for all your help guys think im going to stick to pentax as i have the lenses already so Q is upgrade to ? k30 or K50 or ? from my km what ever i choose will probably have to be 2nd hand
08-16-2014, 03:18 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rusky40 Quote
cheers for all your help guys think im going to stick to pentax as i have the lenses already so Q is upgrade to ? k30 or K50 or ? from my km what ever i choose will probably have to be 2nd hand
They are basically the same camera. I think whichever you can get in good condition with a better price is what I would go with. The biggest difference is the appearance -- K50 is a little more traditional looking than the K30.

08-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think mirrorless brands give better legacy acces than Canon DSLRs (especially FF).
Yes but only APSC mirrorless like NEX and Fuji (or A7 if you can afford it). Otherwise you suffer from unreasonably high crop factor. Not an issue if you LOVE shooting tele I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I think the scarcity of new lenses and lens designs in K-mount, combined with notably fewer-to-deprecated third-party offerings (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Zeiss, Cosina Voigtlander) can facilitate the looking backwards at older glass among Pentax users. I never felt that I was being "spoiled" facing this as a Pentax shooter.

M
The popularity of old glass is largely because it's cheap. Some of it are good and/or has special qualities, but most are bested by modern lenses (especially wide angles).

I wouldn't say Pentax glass is scarce, but there is certainly less options compared to other brands when it comes to some niche focal ranges. Pentax has WR and Limited though, so it's not always greener on the other side.

I use old glass for slowing down, it helps me think about the process a bit more, rather than just be trigger happy everytime.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusky40 Quote
Glad to hear that I'd go with the K-30. I never owned one but the style is so unique, I quite enjoyed that uniqueness when I had my k-x white.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 08-19-2014 at 10:11 AM.
08-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I'd go with the K-30. I never owned one but the style is so unique
I may yet pick up a used K-30 as a backup body just for the cool factor.

Steve