Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 02:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K50 or the equivalent canon

as it says in the thread title your opinions please and what you guys think that canon would be

Last edited by Rusky40; 08-10-2014 at 03:06 AM.
08-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #2

It is difficult to say what is the exact equivalent from Canon. I think maybe 700D?

Here you can find some comparisions:
Canon 700D vs Pentax K-50 - Our Analysis

But I think the issue here is not only about exact camera, but the system in general. It depends what kind of photography you are interested in. Do You find all needed lens from Pentax? What is your budget? What are your long-term goals in photography?

Best thing you can do is hold these cameras in your hands and choose the one that feels right to YOU (all top name cameras are very good). If the camera is not suitable for you, then even the best camera will not take good pictures.

But if you are looking at cameras below $1000 I think Pentax is the best. Weather sealed, SR, compact size, K-mount lenses etc.
08-10-2014, 05:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
i do alot of track days and sports but also landscape nature and macro all my lenses are 3 party sigma and tamron but of cause have the pentax fitting as for budget its low
08-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

If your budget is low you won't want to be going Canon and investing in a new glass collection, Rusky!

08-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I also have very low budget, 50 pounds is too much for me to spend on a lens, pentax gives you easy access to a huge number of old wonderful lenses that cost next to nothing. The pentax bodies are the best in the industry bar none to work with legacy glass.

All your macro landscape and nature needs are more than catered for with pentax at very low budget with legacy glass.

Track day requires different technique, fast reliable autofocus is a great help here in a modern good zoom lens.

I still think pentax is the way to go.
08-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
... pentax gives you easy access to a huge number of old wonderful lenses that cost next to nothing...
This is very true!

If budjet is low, and You already own a PENTAX lenses, then I do not see a reason to switch to Canon system. If only... You have something against Pentax. Once again: not the camera, but the photographer creates an image. If You don't like Pentax cameras, then Pentax is very bad choice for You (even if K-50 even is the only camera that fits in your budget).
08-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #7

I own the Canon EOS 50D/30D/ Rebel XS and bought a K50 four months ago. I think the K50 would be like a Rebel body but with a few features below a EOS 70D. I'm still more used to the Canon ergonomics and find the settings for manual controls a lot faster to use. System wise I like the Pentax features - onboard IS is a great advantage. I also like the AF microadjustment - Canon Rebel series don't include that feature which I think is very necessary. My Sigma lenses for Canon and Pentax require adjustments for focus.

Both Canon and Pentax brand offer a great tool and its up to the picture taker to make it happen.

08-15-2014, 01:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
i so agree with the quote it not the camera its the photographer that makes the picture and as iv only got a Km (which i love) with about 4 lenses with 2 i mainly use i was looking to upgrade in the future the k50 tooks superb with very similar controls to the km but i was wondering peoples opinion
08-15-2014, 03:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, with the K-50 at $396, the equivalent Canon price-wise is probably the T3, which I think was released in 1997. Not really, but not much comparison between those two.
08-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd look for used bodies, Rusky. K30 or K5 maybe - these would let you use your old manual lenses easily enough. Since you're accustomed to focusing manually, the only thing you'll miss with your Km is the big viewfinder.

Wait, is it the KM film or K-m digital? If K-mD then the K30 or K50 is the natural upgrade, though I'd still consider a K5 if you want more on-body controls.

I think you're going to give up a lot if you move to Canon or Nikon. Their introductory models are not as advanced or rugged. To get the most out of their fast sporty lenses, you're going to spend a lot more money.
08-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

FWIW Canon also gives you access to alot of old glasses, including pentax glass. Modifications may be required in some cases, but you actually get way more options with Canon APSC for adapting old glass. (Zuiko stuff with Canon 5D classic (FF though) gives amazing results, very filmlike)

OTOH you get free SR with pentax on all lenses, including manual ones.

Secondhand and third party canon glass is comparable vs pentax, I'd say price of glass isn't an issue unless you must have the best of the best (high end Canon L). My concern with canon is that their lower end bodies feels like crap. I'd settle with no less than 00D class with Canon, no rebel stuff. On the lower end rebels there's also no sensor progression since the sensor is mostly the same, you upgrade for features.

Also if you need WR for cheap, pentax is really the only legit APSC option. There are others if you go mirrorless.
08-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To echo Andi's comments above, Canon is more accommodating with older glass in general--especially in the cropped sensor bodies. M42 lenses are more convenient on Canon as the adapter stays with the lens. They are cheap so you can have an adapter dedicated to a frequently used lens. Pentax K and A older lenses work in stop down mode with an adapter as well.
I would say that both systems would serve you quite well. A variable would be how much you expect your sports shooting to grow. Canon tracking AF on just about all models is better than Pentax right now.
If you like small stuff, I've seen the SL1 reduced lately. My daughter has one and I always am impressed with how it performs.

M
08-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Going by the important stuff I would say that the closest equivalent to K50 from Canon is 70D.

Weather sealing, Pentaprism, dual wheel controls...

Where Canon 70D beat K50 is on AF, video, and build quality.
Where Pentax K50 beat 70D is on IQ (dynamic range) built in SR, and 1/2 the price,
08-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Going by the important stuff I would say that the closest equivalent to K50 from Canon is 70D.
That would be the feature equivalent, though the 70D is the market competition to the K-3. The market competition (similar price point) to the K50 would be the Rebel T5i (700D). Comparison with that model:

K-50 beats:
  • build
  • dynamic range
  • SR
  • price
  • pentaprism
  • optical viewfinder
  • max shutter speed
  • AF assist (dedicated lamp)
  • WR body
  • More compact
Rebel T5i (700D) beats:
  • Articulated rear LCD
  • Video-related features
  • Touch screen
  • Lighter
All other points of comparison are pretty much a wash.

In regards to price, B&H currently lists the K-50 two lens kit at $646 USD and the T5i two lens kit at $849.

Steve
08-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
FWIW Canon also gives you access to alot of old glasses, including pentax glass.
I think mirrorless brands give better legacy acces than Canon DSLRs (especially FF).

We're spoiled on the K-mount platform.

AFAIK, Canon EF owners can't use the company's film lenses without crappy glass adapters or tubes that struggle with infinity focus.