Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Kx randomly changing ISO

Hi
I have a Kx, when shooting in aperture priority mode it will all of a sudden change the ISO from 200 to 12800. I have the camera set at 200 most the time unless I have to raise the ISO for lighting conditions. It isn't on auto ISO. At first I thought it was some how getting bumped in the case while I was carrying it. But the other day it did it twice while I was shooting. I have two pictures take 14 sec apart, one at 200 the other at 12800. I'm not sure you could even switch the camera to that setting that quickly.
I was wondering if anyone else has come across this behaviour. The weird thing is Moms Kx is doing the same thing but going to 6400. She probably doesn't have the extended ISO turned on so 6400 is as high as hers can go.
Any ideas would be helpful as to why they are doing this. Long as I keep an I on the setting it's not a big deal, but pictures take at 12800 aren't all that useful due to noise. I'm going to try fix a couple to see what I can do though. Thanks

08-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

FWIW, I have had this happen with my K-x. Thankfully it does not occur too often. Unfortunately, I cannot pinpoint what causes it to occur. I have had various theories but lack insufficient documentation or other evidence to support any of these theories, so I won't bother trying to explain them. It looks as though it may have something to do with the Auto ISO setting (even if the camera has been set to a fixed ISO setting).
Occasionally my camera seems to experience a hiccup in its electrical system and it could be that when this occurs it might cause the camera to change its ISO setting. Most often, when I think this may have occurred, it turns out that I have made an adjustment to Auto ISO for some reason and I forgot to reset it, and I suspect there are times I may have been trying to use the 4-way controller buttons and changed the ISO setting by mistake when doing so.
Three things you might want to take note of when this occurs in the future:
1. When this has occurred, has the camera somehow reset from fixed ISO mode to Auto ISO mode?
2. When this ISO change occurs, does the camera otherwise adjust to obtain a correct exposure (by decreasing the shutter speed in aperture priority mode, for example)?
3. When this ISO change has occurred, have you been using your 4-way controller for other purposes (like viewing portions of a photo you have just taken or changing the auto-focus point or making other menu setting changes)?

Wish I had something more definitive top offer. If you come up with anything, I would like to hear about it.

Bill

Last edited by Bill2849; 08-10-2014 at 05:19 PM.
08-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Bill
Thanks for the information. As far a metering goes, the camera works fine when it decides to change the ISO. I would have to go look and see, I might have been changing the drive mode either switching to auto bracketing or continuous shooting when it changed the ISO.

It's not a big problem long as we keep an eye on the ISO or shutter speed. If you come up with a cause let me know.
Thanks
Evan