Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Equinox
I'm sure what you say is true. The K100D is not a race horse when it comes to snapping off successive shots.
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. The K100D as you say
is, I have no doubt, near the bottom of the performance curve in it's cycle time when shooting.
When I mentioned speed I was talking about the speed of the sensor in capturing light. I was using the term as it is used in the description of a lense or film. A lense is considered 'fast' if it lets in more light. A film is considered 'fast' if it requires less light to fully expose. The K100D appears to have an advantage in this area, in that the sensor is 'faster' or is able to make a higher quality image with less noise given the same amount of light compared to the K10D.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope this clears it up.

On a side issue - I've now started playing with RAW mode. I took some bulb shots last night and have been playing a little with the RAW processing software. Pretty complex and powerful stuff!

Larry

10-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #17

Hey no problem Larry. I'm in Electronics and only an amature photographer, so you probably know more about the photography side of things than I do. I get what you are saying about capturing light. Do keep in mind that Pentax has Samsung on their side and they can design electronic logic boards with the best in the industry. If Pentax uses faster components to convert and reproduce the images I believe this speed factor you are mentioning may be a wash. (And that is a big if) Just the fact that they are using DDR2 memory and had multiple main board designs tell me they are working to integrate the fastest/most accurate combination possible.

From the Pentax video, the rep shot off 9 straight RAW images which totally blew me away. This is important to me as I like action shots with birds etc. My only problem is my nature lens is going to be a very slow ride on the new camera at f6.7 500mm. Outside of the shooting speed, I know the K100D would be perfect for me. I am trying to justify buying both cameras, and from what I have seen off of the K100D it is impossible to not take a serious look at it.

-Jeff
10-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #18

Leaton
I too made a "cable" release from RS parts. You have to utilize 2 buttons... 1 for shutter and 1 for autofocus. Auto forcus works just fine.
Jack
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Snoopy - I went back and looked at it again and had a
bad switch - imagine that! New out of the box from Radio Shack.
Fortunately it was a pack of 4, so I swapped it and focus works
fine now. I also - like the link suggested, paralleled a toggle switch
across the shutter release. It's a nice touch when doing bulb exposures. I did a few over a minute last night. The longest non
bulb exposure, I found out, is 30sec.

10-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #20

22 bits ?

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
Hey no problem Larry. I'm in Electronics and only an amature photographer, so you probably know more about the photography side of things than I do. I get what you are saying about capturing light. Do keep in mind that Pentax has Samsung on their side and they can design electronic logic boards with the best in the industry. If Pentax uses faster components to convert and reproduce the images I believe this speed factor you are mentioning may be a wash. (And that is a big if) Just the fact that they are using DDR2 memory and had multiple main board designs tell me they are working to integrate the fastest/most accurate combination possible.

From the Pentax video, the rep shot off 9 straight RAW images which totally blew me away. This is important to me as I like action shots with birds etc. My only problem is my nature lens is going to be a very slow ride on the new camera at f6.7 500mm. Outside of the shooting speed, I know the K100D would be perfect for me. I am trying to justify buying both cameras, and from what I have seen off of the K100D it is impossible to not take a serious look at it.

-Jeff
Hey Jeff, you said you have an Electronics background, so what is your take on the 22 bit A/D converter in the new K10D? What does that mean? I think JPEG only has 8 bits of color per channel and RAW has more (12 or 14 I don't remember) but how does 22 bit help then?
11-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #21

Raw files can store any given format of image data, since it's just the datastream from the imager. You could have a 64-bit, 9-channel raw image if you wanted.
JPEG files are indeed 8 bit, but in the same way a good lens can make a mediocre camera perform a bit better, giving the JPEG codec better/more detailed data can only improve the output.
It's the flipside of GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out). :P