Male 20984.96%
Female 3715.04%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I can happily say that I often go out taking pictures with two women, both of whom use their own Pentax DSLRs that were bought on my recommendation, one with a K-5 and the other with a K30. I only know two other Pentax shooters in my neck of the woods, both male, so our local gender balance isn't too bad.

08-14-2014, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Ha! I love that movie! Colin Firth's character actually stays in the greater European area (England, France, Portugal)... the character named "Colin" actually ends up in... Minnesota, I think (or Michigan. I get those M-neighbors confused). Still the Midwest, and rather similar, but more northern geographically.

But you get the idea; this is a rural area of the USA and the number of people interested in the photography hobby is pretty limited. Then you couple that with the percentage of people who buy Canons and Nikons... So in a city of 20,000, how many own DSLRs? How many of them are Canikon? Who's representing Pentax? (That'd be me.)
And you make great images!

I love this scene:

But then, I'm the romantic.
08-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Im a woman.
08-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #34

I never thought of us as rare...but I guess so! Now that I think about it, most of the people I've met that shoot Pentax have been male....actually all of them, I think. Interesting.

Female here, obviously. Pretty sure my avatar reflects that...

08-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha! I love that movie! Colin Firth's character actually stays in the greater European area (England, France, Portugal)... the character named "Colin" actually ends up in... Minnesota, I think (or Michigan. I get those M-neighbors confused). Still the Midwest, and rather similar, but more northern geographically.

But you get the idea; this is a rural area of the USA and the number of people interested in the photography hobby is pretty limited. Then you couple that with the percentage of people who buy Canons and Nikons... So in a city of 20,000, how many own DSLRs? How many of them are Canikon? Who's representing Pentax? (That'd be me.)
In St. Louis when I was young it was the other way round, except for the hot-money wealthy Pentax SP-F was the camera of choice. HMW shot Nikon, mostly, and a few F-1. Now from time to time I see a mid-range Pentax, but never the high-end model, even a K10D when they were hot. All I get is a look, or the usual. "They still make cameras?"

But this is the flyover. Everyone dismisses us anyway unless a Policeman shoots a teenager. Then they're outraged. But after a week they all go back home.
08-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #36
Veteran Member

The only other Pentaxian I've seen in the wild in the past two years was a woman - I didn't see what model she was carrying. I know one other Pentax-using woman: my brother's soon-to-be wife, but then, I gave her my old K-5.

Looking at some of the above posts, I wonder how many of us run more than one system. I have Pentax for APS-C and portability (and because I love the lenses), and a fairly full NIkon system for 24x36.
08-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by BATMON Quote
I'm right-handed
And your point is...

08-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BATMON Quote
im right-handed
So am I
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
And your point is...
I think it's the "more" demographics!
I use my left eye for the viewfinder.

Any group outings I go on are pretty mixed, usually more women. DSLR users about 50%, P&S or cell phone mostly females. Yes I have been on photowalks where people used cell phones. At the big birding event at Magee Marsh in May it was more males, especially with the monster lenses, but I saw more Pentaxes than ever there this year, not that it was a big number. I was out a small group walk a week ago, there were 5 males, 3 females, but only one Pentax, there would have been two but mine is at the shop for warranty service, I had to use an Olympus. I know there was at least 1 Sony, I Canon, 1 Nikon,

You can see by my avatar I am a hat wearing (at least in this pic), camera wielding male.
08-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I think it's the "more" demographics!
I use my left eye for the viewfinder.
Me too!

What happened with women number? It was 1% bigger yesterday.
01-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #40
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a gal, been into photography most of my life since my first camera a Brownie Hawkeye (which I still have!). Had a professional color darkroom that I really enjoyed; but what might take hours to perfect one image, now takes minutes on the computer! I'm in my 70's, live in the boonies; so I don't have any contact with other photographers locally; although I'd guess they would mostly be male.
01-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where is the "Decline to answer" option ?
01-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Where is the "Decline to answer" option ?
It was forfeited when you clicked the link to open the thread. :-P
01-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #43
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was forfeited when you clicked the link to open the thread. :-P
01-02-2015, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

I was male last time I looked, but my two closest photographer friends are both female professional wedding photographers, one gay (married) and one straight (married), both Canon full frame shooters. I try not to hold the Canon thing against them, although I find it slightly disgusting.
01-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Aussie bloke here, (well technically a Scotch Aussie, I was born here). Have only seen one other Pentaxian over the past 12 months. But, I must say that the people who comment on my camera "nice camera" are usually women.