View Poll Results: What Gender Are You?
Male 20984.96%
Female 3715.04%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Demographics of Pentaxians-- Gender!

What gender are you? Going by comments in the other Demographics of Pentaxians thread, it seems like women are relatively rare, but let's have the numbers!

For me, the only people in my former department who were interested in photography and owned DSLRs were women! No Pentaxians, though...

08-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I should probably post, because my name and display pic don't tell much.. I'm a man
08-12-2014, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
What gender are you? Going by comments in the other Demographics of Pentaxians thread, it seems like women are relatively rare, but let's have the numbers!

For me, the only people in my former department who were interested in photography and owned DSLRs were women! No Pentaxians, though...
We are not rare.
We just are not seen.
08-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I hadn't thought about it much, but I don't know any women DSLR users in general. You'd think we'd be all camera crazy after having babies (that was my excuse for getting the K-r...well that and procrastinating on studying for my board exams), but mostly it's the husbands who use DSLRs.

08-12-2014, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Old Bat and Pentaxian since 1966.
08-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I've owned a pentax since The mid 80's, with a gap between then and now. I know several women that own DSLR's of other brands but only two that use them. Of the men with cameras when they see my camera bag and equipment they look at me like enemy camp and treat me that way too but to be fair so have some of the women. Sheesh it's just cameras, but hey I am Pentax biased, lol.
08-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

Most of the DSLR users I know are men, but the best DSLR photographers I know (judged by the images they print) are women over 60. They were the best photographers I knew when they were under twenty, too. The best 35mm film photographer I know is my daughter. The best MF photographer I know is a man - HS classmate who attended Rhode Island School of Design - local studio / product guy. Almost all of them started with Pentax Spotmatics but shoot either Nikon or Hassy now (and the infrequent TLR holdout). I know one younger female P67II portrait shooter.

FWIW - 'Y'.
08-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Y here, also.

08-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote

Idea of demographics is great. But demographics include far more than gender. I would prefer to see a more thorough demographic survey than this basic one.
08-12-2014, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Guilty confession: sometimes after being judged for my equipment choices, I intentionally search for crappy photos taken with Canikons and then take solace in the lovely galleries of Charis Talbot and Keitha McCall.

Then I avoid pinholecam's posts because they make me covet the A7.

---------- Post added 08-12-14 at 09:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Idea of demographics is great. But demographics include far more than gender. I would prefer to see a more thorough demographic survey than this basic one.
Then make it so, instead of complaining about this one.
08-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
I hadn't thought about it much, but I don't know any women DSLR users in general. You'd think we'd be all camera crazy after having babies (that was my excuse for getting the K-r...well that and procrastinating on studying for my board exams), but mostly it's the husbands who use DSLRs.
Odd. Most of the DSLR users I know are women. Especially the ones who actually use more than the kit lens.

---------- Post added 08-12-14 at 12:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Forum limitations. one poll per post. This isn't the best venue for an exhaustive survey.
08-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Odd. Most of the DSLR users I know are women. Especially the ones who actually use more than the kit lens.

---------- Post added 08-12-14 at 12:41 PM ----------

Forum limitations. one poll per post. This isn't the best venue for an exhaustive survey.
I.think.location is a key factor here too. Locally, there are many women dslr users - mostly Canon Rebel T series. i see fewer men with dslr cameras, but more are full frame. On vacation to BC/Alberta, its a real mixed bag.
08-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Nice, male overhere.
08-12-2014, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
We could create a series of Demographics of Pentaxians surveys to capture all relevant metrics.

What shall we poll next? Personally I'd like to see "Preference: Boxers, Briefs, or Itty Bitty String Things".

Edit for clarity: I'd like the see the poll, not the actual underwear, considering the results of both this poll and the What Age Are You? poll.
08-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
We just are not seen.
Hmmm

I'm a male of the Kerrowdown species.