Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the pimple of bum of life
Posts: 181
DSLR with video

Hi all I was just wondering because I come from a film back ground 35mm & MF I was wondering how many people with DSLR used the video part on there camera . If so how much usage against the still part of the camera.?
I never owned a video camera was lent 1 & used it 2 times in 6 months.
Is it a feature you look for in a DSLR? or really just a gimmick?
Thanks no real reason for this question other than curious

08-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,208
I have had my K-3 since mid-April and have used the video feature less than a dozen times. That being said, I am actively working on expanding my skills with that feature. While it is a nice feature, video is not a major factor in my camera purchase decision.


Steve
08-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Imageman's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 461
For me video production capability is as important in producing still pictures as playing a trumpet is.
08-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,288
I've used it a couple of times on the k-x. Never even tried it on the k-5 or the k-3. Just not something I am interested in and not a factor in what camera I buy.

However, it most definitely is NOT a gimmick. Some TV shows are shot with DSLRS, stock footage and Youtube and all kinds of short video clips. I think Canon users buying up old Takumars to use for video nearly doubled the price of vintage lens. (OK, I'm exaggerating but not completely).

Pentax is not regarded as one of the better camera brands for video though.

08-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Bob from Aus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,080
I use it only when I don't have a video camera handy. I prefer using my Nikon 7700 for some video work, otherwise a video camera mainly because of continual autofocus and I trust the sound of a video camera more than a SLR even if I use an external microphone. I can't see the point of having so many gadgets hanging off an SLR, you cant even see the camera.

I will get a more serious video camera when my next big job that include video comes in. I think it will work better than getting a ton of gadgets to bring an SLR up to speed.
08-13-2014, 04:31 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the pimple of bum of life
Posts: 181
Original Poster
Hi thanks all for the replys. When I was looking around to replace my crappy K100D super I guess making videos were never in my mind & I dont think I ever be a issue. BTW How do you adapt old Takamine lens to a Canon never here of it done?
08-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
When I was looking around to replace my crappy K100D super I guess making videos were never in my mind...
Dunno as I'd call the K100D crappy. It's technologically past it's prime, but still a very capable camera.
08-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,288
QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
BTW How do you adapt old Takamine lens to a Canon never here of it done?
With something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-thread-Digital/dp/B001G4QXN2

08-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,880
I have never used the video on the K3. I might one day (once I try out how) but probably only for novelty clips such as for a few seconds to put into lecture slides. I did that a couple of times with one of those old Sony over-thick credit card size cameras, which did not last very long - with no abuse. (Only lasted 3-4 years - replaced with a new K100DS which is now passed on and still going.)
08-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
I do some video, but mostly use my K-01 for that.
08-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the pimple of bum of life
Posts: 181
Original Poster
Hi thanks for that those that used the video part did you before DSLR could do video did you use a video camera or such?
To me its more of a gimmick I guess I am old school & see SLR as a stills camera
08-14-2014, 01:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,715
QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
Hi thanks for that those that used the video part did you before DSLR could do video did you use a video camera or such?
To me its more of a gimmick I guess I am old school & see SLR as a stills camera
I've only used the video feature on my K-x twice, but it was for a class project and I got an A, so it has my seal of approval. I recommend as much stabilisation as you can get your hands on, though.
08-14-2014, 02:58 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,954
It is OK. Ergonomics are not great for shooting video, but the quality of the footage is pretty good if you can stabilize it enough. For me, it is just about grabbing clips of my kids when I don't have a camcorder or my phone handy. Or in lower light and I have a fast lens on the camera (that last one is tough because of narrow depth of field -- likely get pretty lousy footage there).
08-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Imageman's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 461
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have never used the video on the K3. I might one day (once I try out how) but probably only for novelty clips such as for a few seconds to put into lecture slides. I did that a couple of times with one of those old Sony over-thick credit card size cameras, which did not last very long - with no abuse. (Only lasted 3-4 years - replaced with a new K100DS which is now passed on and still going.)

I know how you feel, these days you cant expect a digital camera to last more than 4 years.


I make em last until they die, but planned obsolescence sadly rules and the computer age kids who now run the show and think anyone over 30 is a dinosaur, all seem to think its ok for cameras to have the life expectancy of laptops or itune players.


Old cameras are good cameras and the k100DS is a good camera. In their day a top of the line camera was accepted as the best, how is it just a few years later suddenly called junk. The problem is with the fool who thinks its junk, and then marvels at the images it produced.
08-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,880
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
I know how you feel, these days you cant expect a digital camera to last more than 4 years.


I make em last until they die, but planned obsolescence sadly rules and the computer age kids who now run the show and think anyone over 30 is a dinosaur, all seem to think its ok for cameras to have the life expectancy of laptops or itune players.


Old cameras are good cameras and the k100DS is a good camera. In their day a top of the line camera was accepted as the best, how is it just a few years later suddenly called junk. The problem is with the fool who thinks its junk, and then marvels at the images it produced.


The Sony died - it would not switch on. Also the battery quality was poor, both ours and a similar model owned by a relative had batteries with charge life that rapidly decayed to become not very useful.


The K100DS is still fully functional, has done about 30-40k exposures and was replaced because I wanted better. It is nice to pass it to my daughter.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shooting video with Pentax cameras. Tips, video looks, camera options, etc. JohnnyXD Video and Pentax HDSLRs 50 12-09-2014 09:53 PM
Last video I made with K-01 : DragonCon 2012 Music Video minilink Pentax K-01 3 09-20-2012 08:48 AM
Shooting Video With An DSLR Nowhere Matt Video and Pentax HDSLRs 3 02-14-2010 08:38 PM
K-7, First DSLR w/ True Aperture Control with Video! HermanLee Pentax News and Rumors 11 05-20-2009 06:59 PM
Unforseen disadvantage of Dslr with video barondla Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 05-10-2009 08:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top