Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

Lexar 16gb 1066x CF-Card For *istD ?

Hello, this is my first post. I recently bought an *istD with aprox. 2700 shutter actuations. It came with v1.0.0 firmware, which is now replaced with v1.0.4 The camera will now accept 4gb and larger CF-cards. The camera came with a Lexar 1gb 40x compact-flash card and it takes about, maybe 8-9 secs. to write a raw file. A 1gb Industrial-Brand, unknown speed, card takes about 6 secs. to write a RAW file. Can someone please tell me if the Lexar 16gb 1066x will or will not be faster than a slower speced card, in the *istD?
Also, this is my first Pentax DSLR. Long ago I owned several Pentax film slrs. I also owned a Pentax P&S when it came out, 750z. So far I only have one lens for the *istD, Pentax-A 50/f2, but I anticipate aquiring others ASAP. Thanks for any info that you can share regarding my question.

Owen

08-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1066x will be faster, but that kind of speed is overkill in the ist D. 600x or 800x would already be more than enough.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick answer, Adam.
08-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to our small tribe, *iUser.

Enjoy the "new" camera. It is solid in most respects (AA NiMH batteries in high heat using the on-board flash can be funky, though). I still have mine, and used mostly CF cards that easily maxed out the buffer speed. As you likely are already aware, no shortcuts were taken in creating PEF raw files (i.e. no compression), and it has been speculated that the Pentax engineers did not know how to work around the zeros filling in from 12 bits all the way up to 16 bits. So, the Nikon cameras using the same sensor wrote significantly smaller files and the D70 apparently used some form of compression which may or may not have limited highlight dynamic range (the forum debates about this apparently were endless).

This is a long way of saying that Pentax PEFs were huge, the buffer on the *istD less than robust, and your generic CF card might be the same (max) speed as the new acquisition (or at most one second per image slower). So, look on the bright side - the *istD is faster than any Polaroid, and the IQ is much better, as well. Be sure to shoot RAW even with the immense lag; the JPEGs were soft, and color balance in room light horrible. However, the overall quality of the RAW files (taking into account both low ISO and moderately high ISOs up to at least 800) were not surpassed until the KX came along several years later.

08-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums & congrats on your first Pentax DSLR. The *istD was also my first, and I just recently acquired another . It's a very good little camera, and very capable in good light. As mentioned above, for the best IQ possible, shoot in RAW. In good lighting I get nice results in jpeg as well - the images may be a just a little soft, but they respond well to a bit of sharpening in post. I recommend Eneloops (or equivalent) rechargeables - I'm actually using the same set of Eneloops I originally purchased 4 yrs ago, when I acquired my *istD.

You may want to take a look at this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/220644-istd-10th...y-tribute.html
It's not very active at the moment, but there are some nice images posted there. Enjoy your "new" old camera
08-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, Jim and Paul. Ok then, I can easily live with the long write times and largeish file sizes of the PEF files. RAW is all that I shoot in. I put Eneloops in the *istD the minute I opened the package. I only have 1st and 2nd Gen, Eneloops in AA, but 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen. in AAA. I'm probably going to order 8x of the latest high capacity AA Eneloops for using in this camera. I am still considering a fast card for faster data transfer to my computer. I'm completely unfamiliar with the new CF term, and SD, UMDA/UMDA-7, but I see that there are UMDA-7 card readers for these devices. Are the UMDA-7 cards compatible with the *istD ? Thanks for the link about 10th Anniversary Tribute. And thanks for your taking the time to make me feel welcome and for the helpful information, too.

Owen
08-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My guess is the later cards will be incompatible simply because it has been about 8 years since the last firmware update. Anything over 300x isn't going to make a huge difference, even regarding image transfer.
08-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, Jim. That's what I needed to know. BTW, I'm really liking the image quality from the *istD. I had the D100, long ago and I didn't warm to it, at all. Even though this camera, *istD, has the same sensor as the D100 it really is something special. I bought my first DSLR in Feb. 2002, Kodak NC2000E (G), 1.3mp, APS-C sensor, and have owned many others over the years. The *istD may very well be my favorite of them all.