Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Digital Wish List

To all those interested, I would like to develop a wish list of functions that users want for Pentax digital cameras. The intent of the list is not to complain about things that are not possible in hardware, but to get a strong voice to Pentas to implement functions that are possible within the existing hardware of the camera

I have receintly purchased a K10D to go along with the *istD I already own.

In using the K10D, I have noted a few things that would be nice to have, and a few bugs,

I will start my list and ask others to comment

Common for all cameras

1) the ability to edit the 4 letter prefix on the file name, so that the possibility of duplicate file names when using 2 cameras can be avoided. Since the camera can change the prefix with color space already this should be very easy

2) the ability to use the P-TTL flash on non automatic lenses (k10D) with the AF540FGZ or TTL (*istD with AF500FTZ). This could easily be incorporated with the green button function in flash mode, where the camera would meter both stopped down when the button is pushed, and immediately following the release of the button with the lense at full apature. as opposed to setting the shutter speed to match apature when in non flash mode.

For the K10D:

1) a special functin to permit shutter release without autofocus confirmation, This was available on the *istD and also on the PZ-1

2) the ability to tell the camera a tele converter is installed, to give the correct focal length for image stabilization and flash zoom functions

3) the modification of the flash zoom to match the effective 35mm focal length of the image sensor. there is no need to zoom the flash to 28 mm for a 28 mm lense because the effective focal length is in the 42mm range. this would improve the light output and recycle time

4) 3200 ISO setting for low light photography. I shot about 1/6 of all images with the *istD at ISO3200

Bugs noted

1) when using the AF540FGZ flash, and my 28-105mm Pentax FA-2 lense, both the *istD and K10D set the flash zoom between 24 mm with lens at 28mm, and 58 mm when the lens is zoomed past 85mm. This seems to be an issue when the flash is in the digital format mode, since the flash zooms correctly and to the correct focal length when on my PZ-1. The same issue occurrs when I put my 70-200 mm sigma zoom on the digital cameras, maximum flash focal length is limited to 58 mm

2) there is no power zoom function, even thouth it is listed in the features and in the manual

New adaptor(I Know, I said I didn't want comments about non existing hardware, but I think this one is different)

It would be desireable for pentax to develop a teleconverter that could provide automatic apature functions for non automatic lenses. Lets imagine a 1.4x converter for the 300mm F4 lense, which would allow other than full apature in automatic mode, and stopped down metering in manual mode. It shouldbe possible, and would be a great way for people to get some use out of old lenses that are not easy to replace all at once.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 01-28-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: additional comments
01-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
To all those interested, ...
1) a special functin to permit shutter release without autofocus confirmation, This was available on the *istD and also on the PZ-1
Just one comment - this is easily achieved by setting the focus control switch to MF or AF.C for manual focus lenses and to AF.C for auto lenses to retain an attempt to focus but you can shoot while it is trying for that shot that cannot wait

M42 lenses on an adaptor are not locked on ANY focus switch setting but they still give a confirmation beet which is handy.

Rod
01-29-2007, 04:46 AM   #3

For the K100D: Wireless flash control with the built in flash. Is there any reason that this can't be added with a firmware upgrade a la K10D?
01-29-2007, 06:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
3) the modification of the flash zoom to match the effective 35mm focal length of the image sensor. there is no need to zoom the flash to 28 mm for a 28 mm lense because the effective focal length is in the 42mm range. this would improve the light output and recycle time
Flash already matches camera field of vision. I have AF-360 FGZ and if memory serves me right it displays 35mm film focal length equivalent. If you have 18mm lens on Pentax dSLR the flash will display 28mm and actually match the camera's FOV.

01-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RodConn Quote
Just one comment - this is easily achieved by setting the focus control switch to MF or AF.C for manual focus lenses and to AF.C for auto lenses to retain an attempt to focus but you can shoot while it is trying for that shot that cannot wait

M42 lenses on an adaptor are not locked on ANY focus switch setting but they still give a confirmation beet which is handy.

Rod
That was pentax's response also, I still like the option of turning it off like in the past.
01-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Flash already matches camera field of vision. I have AF-360 FGZ and if memory serves me right it displays 35mm film focal length equivalent. If you have 18mm lens on Pentax dSLR the flash will display 28mm and actually match the camera's FOV.
This may be the case for your AF-360FGZ, but it clear this is not for the AF-540 FGZ, on my 18-35 mm pentax lense, it reports exact focal length, on my sigma 10-20, again it reports exact focal length (to the limits of the flash) but on the the pentax 28-105 it reports something else 24-58 mm

AF 540 FGZ reports correct focal length on my PZ-1, and the AF 500 FTZ flash reports correct (actual) focal length (of lense not related to the field of view) on both the *istD and PZ-1

One final note, According to the Flash manual for the AF540FGZ, the flash in auto zoom mode the flash coverage angle will be adjusted automatically to suit the lens focal length. I interpret, therefore that it should show the true focal length of the lens within the flash coverage between the maximum of 58 mm and a minimum of about 13 mm when in digital mode considering the flash coverage angle and image sensor size. In this case, my 28-105 should cover the range 42-58 mm for the field of vies w of the sensor. My two wide angle zooms are working correctly.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 01-29-2007 at 05:43 PM.