Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have done this on my K10D as well. I was initially disappointed with a new DA*50-135. Then I found this info and made my adjustment. I thought I threw off my Sigma 17-70 (which I have always considered very sharp), so I exchanged the new lens with Adorama. When the second copy was also disappointing, I got further into testing my 17-70. I found it was back focusing too (only really noticable at wide open aperture). I now have my body set at +150 and have checked both lenes on a focus chart at 45`and at real world distances. As best I can tell, I've now got my focus point at about 1/3 of the way through the sharp area. Perfect!
Thanks to all that pointed the way to, and to those that "developed" this access.
Brian

11-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is awesome, thank you.

Now I am wodering what the othetr options in the debug mode is for ?

What is the AF area test 0,1,2,3 options for ?...I left it at 0.
What is the 'capture/system test' for ?
What is the 'string disp test' for ?
12-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #33

I want to try this but have a question regarding Vista. If the debug mode stays on in the camera's setup menu, will there be any functionality issues?
12-09-2008, 04:01 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by allill Quote
I want to try this but have a question regarding Vista. If the debug mode stays on in the camera's setup menu, will there be any functionality issues?
I did mine using XP, so it might be different. I left my camera in "debug mode" while I was doing my testing. I noticed no difference in any function I tried except that the word debug mode stayed on the LCD screen. Turning off the debug in XP is just as easy as turning it on.
YMMV
Brian

12-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I did mine using XP, so it might be different. I left my camera in "debug mode" while I was doing my testing. I noticed no difference in any function I tried except that the word debug mode stayed on the LCD screen. Turning off the debug in XP is just as easy as turning it on.
YMMV
Brian
Did it say "debug" all the way accross the screen or just in a corner?
12-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It will say DEBUG in the upper left of the LCD when it is turned on. Also note that the LCD does not turn off when it's left in this state. It will switch to black, but will continue to operate the lamp, which can be a nuisance when working in the dark.
12-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #37

Oh man, I better install it on an xp machine then.
12-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by allill Quote
Did it say "debug" all the way accross the screen or just in a corner?
Like Smigol said, it is only in the upper left corner. I did some of my testing in fairly dark conditions and didn't think the LCD was bothersome. YMMV. Of course it makes more sense to me to be able to turn it off unless you intend to make adjustments for different lenses (or conditions). I found that all of the lenses I routinely use (the only ones tested) were all OK at the adjusted setting that was set for my 50-135.
Brian

12-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #39
Veteran Member

The K10D can store up to 4 lenses in memory for the AF calibration (confirmed by a Pentax tech. over the phone). My question is this: Can I access these memory settings with this software?

I have more than 4 lenses, and most seem to be OK. However, I have one that backfocuses like crazy, and my Tammy 28-75 (my most-used lens) front focuses a little, so I would like to memorise the settings for these two lenses but leave the default untouched. Is this possible?
12-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
The K10D can store up to 4 lenses in memory for the AF calibration (confirmed by a Pentax tech. over the phone). My question is this: Can I access these memory settings with this software?

I have more than 4 lenses, and most seem to be OK. However, I have one that backfocuses like crazy, and my Tammy 28-75 (my most-used lens) front focuses a little, so I would like to memorise the settings for these two lenses but leave the default untouched. Is this possible?
I am definitly interested in this but haven't gone into debug mode yet. Hopefully someone chimes in.
12-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #41
Inactive Account

If the tech told you correctly, it should be possible. In the debug mode, in focus adjust, there are 4 options, 0, 1, 2, 3. It makes sense that these should be 4 different settings and if you leave the camera in debug mode, switching between settings will be easy. Out of all the posts that I've read on this topic, no one has been sure what the different options were for. Did the tech explain how to save the 4 different options?
Brian
12-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
If the tech told you correctly, it should be possible. In the debug mode, in focus adjust, there are 4 options, 0, 1, 2, 3. It makes sense that these should be 4 different settings and if you leave the camera in debug mode, switching between settings will be easy. Out of all the posts that I've read on this topic, no one has been sure what the different options were for. Did the tech explain how to save the 4 different options?
Brian
Would be great if you could adjust to 4 different lenses and the camera would automatically switch when you switch lenses.
12-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I spoke to the tech. before I sent my K10D to get fixed for a mirror problem. I was thinking of sending in some lenses to be calibrated with the camera AF and asked the tech. guy what my options were; he said they would only calibrate Pentax lenses and that the K10D could store 4 calibrations in memory, which means when you mount one of the calibrated lenses the camera recognises it, just like the K20D does.

Calicojack: I never mentioned this software to the tech., and I'm sure he would have not answered anything to do with it as it's not official Pentax software. In any case, the setting would need to have 5 options: 4 for the individual lenses, and 1 for the default to use with any other lens.

Allill: From what I gathered, that's exactly what happens.
12-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #44
Inactive Account

snip - asked the tech. guy what my options were; he said they would only calibrate Pentax lenses and that the K10D could store 4 calibrations in memory, which means when you mount one of the calibrated lenses the camera recognises it, just like the K20D does.

Calicojack: I never mentioned this software to the tech., and I'm sure he would have not answered anything to do with it as it's not official Pentax software. In any case, the setting would need to have 5 options: 4 for the individual lenses, and 1 for the default to use with any other lens.
You got me too curious. I just hooked up my camera to the debug program again. I went to the Autofocus adjust and checked. 0, 1, 2, &3 only, no 4. I also noted that all 4 had the same adjustment set. I tried to change just #2, but all 4 changed. I reset to my desired setting, then shut down and changed lenses. This time when I adjusted just one, all 4 still adjusted. I left it readjusted, shut down and changed lenses again. Back to AF Adjust and all 4 were still at the new setting I had just changed to. I reset to my desired adjustment and left the debug mode.
It tells me that with my camera and my lenses there is no individual lens setting through this program. Of course that might be different if my camera recognized these lenses by name (or other individual characteristic). I used my two most commonly used lenses (now). A Sigma 17-70 and a DA* 50-135. My camera does not recognize either of these. YMMV
Brian

Last edited by calicojack; 12-12-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo
12-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Some questions for my k10d:

1.) I'm currently on v1.00 with no noticeable focusing issues (though ISO noise could be a bit better), is it safe to do a straight upgrade to this custom firmware?
2.) I've heard of people installing v1.3 OVER their custom firmware for more settings, has anyone done this?
3.) If I upgrade, will my current settings get replaced?
4.) Is there any improvement from v1.00 to later firmwares for high ISO?

Thanks.