Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
I'm still wondering where the PLAY button is that Ozman seems to have on his K10D.
It is probably the button with the blue triangle on it you use to view images.

04-29-2009, 02:30 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes ! I guess i should have figured that one. Makes sense

AS stated though , doesnt work
05-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Update -

I used the Debug prog that works for V3, without installing V1, and noticed that even at +300 and then resetting to zero and trying - 300, i never got one bit of difference. This was using test area 0

Someone posted earlier that they did their adjustments in test area 0 and it it worked nicely for them. I got nothing - nada. The test photos i took on the chart were all identical.

Rather strange
05-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #79
Pentaxian

speaking for myself, I set my K10D on 120 and all of a sudden lenses like my 28-300 tamron and 24-70 Sigma F/2.8 that where unusable in the K10D became superb.. I have now started to play with the focus adjustments on my K20D's.
This hack works great on the K10D

06-01-2009, 02:42 AM   #80
Pentaxian

i never got one bit of difference.
In another thread you wrote that you only use manual focus. The AF adjustment only affects auto focus and possibly manual focus confirmation, but I'm not sure about the latter.
06-01-2009, 02:47 AM   #81
Veteran Member

I didnt realise it only affected AF. I thought it was for all lenses ? Ah well, that figures.

How do you get focus confirmation on a fully manual lens - as i understood it, fully manual meant exactly that - no help ?
06-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #82
Pentaxian

How do you get focus confirmation on a fully manual lens - as i understood it, fully manual meant exactly that - no help ?
Manual focus only means you have to be the AF motor.
There is still a lot of support:
  1. Do whatever you would need to invoke AF (e.g., half-press the shutter button or the OK button, depends on your settings). If your focus is correct, you'll see the green hexagon in the viewfinder as a focus confirmation. Also, red focus indicators should show you which AF sensors see sharp focus.
  2. You can use "catch focus": Set your camera to MF and with a manual focus lens you can then press the shutter button but the camera won't take a picture until something comes into focus (e.g., by you moving or a subject entering the scene).

There isn't anything else the AF module can do for you when you use manual focus lenses. The AF adjustment only affects the AF module so it is no wonder that you saw no change. You could try and see whether focus confirmation is affected by the AF adjustment.
06-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Well i can certainly be the motor - as thats what i am already as i dont own one single AF lens

But you say " half press shutter button " for focus, but how does this work with a Manual lens ? The only help i get with a Manual lens is to use the DOF button, but its not for focusing, only for metering. Why would the red AF sensors light up when i dont actually use any AF lenses ?

Catch in focus - yes i tried this once, and while the subject was out of focus, i put my finger on the shutter button ready to use the focus ring to bring me back into focus, and the shutter went off immediately, so i figured, well that doesnt work, so i didnt bother using that again.

06-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Half pressing the shutter (or using the AF button on the back) turns the AF system on. It does not matter what type of lens is on the camera.

Then as you focus your manual lens, the camera will confirm focus for you. I think this will only work for the center focus point (some one let me know if I'm wrong?).
06-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I just tried this, and still no hexagon/ red squares to confirm focus. Neither Spot nor Centre weighted worked.

I'm wondering if the Split Image screen i fitted to replace the original has affected the focus confirm.
06-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Why would the red AF sensors light up when i dont actually use any AF lenses ?
To give you feedback on your manual focusing. The focusing screen isn't really useful for aperture ratios smaller than ~f/3 and getting the focus confirmation helps to get the focus right.

Catch in focus - yes i tried this once, and while the subject was out of focus, i put my finger on the shutter button ready to use the focus ring to bring me back into focus, and the shutter went off immediately, so i figured, well that doesnt work, so i didnt bother using that again.
I just tried this, and still no hexagon/ red squares to confirm focus. Neither Spot nor Centre weighted worked.
Are you sure you have set the focus mode switch (near the lens mount) to "AF-S"?
I sometimes need to keep tapping on the AF button (probably half-shutter release in your case) while manually focusing. If I'm not mistaken there is a timeout and if you don't obtain focus in that period, you won't get focus confirmation if you reach focus afterwards.

I'm wondering if the Split Image screen i fitted to replace the original has affected the focus confirm.
The AF module is below the mirror so it does not interact with the focusing screen. The latter may interact with the red focus point indicators but I haven't heard of this. Anyhow, the green hexagon is unaffected for sure.
06-02-2009, 04:19 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Nothing i did would bring up this green hexagon. It just doesnt appear.

Changing to AF-s , I still didnt get this Catch-In-Focus. Soon as i touch the shutter button, it took a photo that was just a complete blur.
06-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Changing to AF-s , I still didnt get this Catch-In-Focus. Soon as i touch the shutter button, it took a photo that was just a complete blur.
Unfortunately, I don't know your camera model inside out. This works for my K100D in all shooting modes. Set it to "manual" just to make sure.

Please check the AF setting of your camera (should be in the "Settings" menu). Have you set the AF button to enable AF or something similar? If so, try pressing the AF button before and while pressing the shutter release. This may cause the camera to try obtain focus first before it releases the shutter. Alternatively, you should be able to cause the AF triggering upon a half-shutter release button press.

There is a catch in focus guide which states that the AF by press halfway setting is mandatory.

Make sure you check the requirements on the lens mount. It should short-circuit the correct camera mount contacts. Perhaps your lens(es) have some isolating paint on them.
06-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Thanks CA, i'll go and read that. I have tried this Catch in Focus thing before and it never worked then , as it hasnt just recently when i posted above.

And still the Green Hexagon is missing ! I can only think that a menu setting is keeping it from appearing, but i havent a clue where to look for that in the menu
06-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #90
Veteran Member

It was in the menu - i found it

Catch in Focus now working nicely along with the Green Hexagon confirm. It was always the operator at fault and not the cam, of course