Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
You got me too curious. I just hooked up my camera to the debug program again. I went to the Autofocus adjust and checked. 0, 1, 2, &3 only, no 4. I also noted that all 4 had the same adjustment set. I tried to change just #2, but all 4 changed. I reset to my desired setting, then shut down and changed lenses. This time when I adjusted just one, all 4 still adjusted. I left it readjusted, shut down and changed lenses again. Back to AF Adjust and all 4 were still at the new setting I had just changed to. I reset to my desired adjustment and left the debug mode.
It tells me that with my camera and my lenses there is no individual lens setting through this program. Of course that might be different if my camera recognized these lenses by name (or other individual characteristic). I used my two most commonly used lenses (now). A Sigma 17-70 and a DA* 50-135. My camera does not recognize either of these. YMMV
Brian
I've read elsewhere that the 0-3 are to choose which autofocus sensors to use: horizontal, vertical, both or none (probably not in that order). It was somewhere on DPReview.

Thanks for the test, CJ. It might be that we need more functionality than this program offers in order to do individual adjustments.

When you use those two lenses, do their names appear in the EXIF data? If so, then the camera recognises them as individual and unique lenses.

12-13-2008, 04:08 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
When you use those two lenses, do their names appear in the EXIF data? If so, then the camera recognises them as individual and unique lenses.
That is how I know that my camera doesn't recognize these lenses. I also have an older F 100-300 4.5-5.6, and a DA 21 Ltd. that are named in the EXIF, so I know it works. Curiously, my old Vivitar Series 1s (28-105 & 70-210) and a cheap Samyang 100-500 get named "A" lens by the camera (all 3 have the A setting on the aperture ring). I guess older (built before the camera) Pentax lenses will be named, older non Pentax lenses will get a generic name, but newer Pentax or recent off brand lenses aren't recognized. YMMV
Brian
P.S. My focus adjust setting doesn't change for either the 100-300 or the 21 mm.
12-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #48
Pentaxian

In the debug mode, in focus adjust, there are 4 options, 0, 1, 2, 3. It makes sense that these should be 4 different settings and if you leave the camera in debug mode, switching between settings will be easy.
At the DPR forum someone figured out that the 0-3 settings control which components (vertical & horizontal) of the AF sensors are used.

You cannot use the 0-3 setting to set individual compensation values for different lenses.
12-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As has been mentioned the AF 0,1,2,3 are for the differnet sensors to set the AF adjustments.

It is EASY to use this debug mode to set any number of lenses you may have. Just do the adjutments for each lens and note the change needed and stick it it to the lens cap of each lens. My 43 ltd lens cap says +110, the sigma 10-20 says +130 and so on. Now, when i attach the lens, I just go to the menu and dial in the needed AF adjustment for each lens. Works like a charm (why wouldn't it) and it is so easy to do. It makes such a HUGE difference is lens performance, it is worth it.

12-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
As has been mentioned the AF 0,1,2,3 are for the differnet sensors to set the AF adjustments.

It is EASY to use this debug mode to set any number of lenses you may have. Just do the adjutments for each lens and note the change needed and stick it it to the lens cap of each lens. My 43 ltd lens cap says +110, the sigma 10-20 says +130 and so on. Now, when i attach the lens, I just go to the menu and dial in the needed AF adjustment for each lens. Works like a charm (why wouldn't it) and it is so easy to do. It makes such a HUGE difference is lens performance, it is worth it.
I guess that would work if you had lots of time between lens changes. I seem to do changes in primes which are often JIT.
12-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #51
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I guess that would work if you had lots of time between lens changes. I seem to do changes in primes which are often JIT.
It will take less time to push a few buttons to change the focus adjustment than it will take to physically change the lens (or to try to correct oof in post processing). Of course you will have to change the lens AND the focus setting (and always leave your camera in debug mode).
I did one full set of tests and averaged the readings biased towards my DA* 50-135. I'm happy with it that way.
Brian
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

Not a huge amount of time, it takes a few seconds, that's all.

12-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #53
Pentaxian

always leave your camera in debug mode
Not annoyed by being in debug mode all the time?
Presumably it doesn't have any adverse effects on performance (frame rate, etc.)?
12-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Not a huge amount of time, it takes a few seconds, that's all.
Perhaps you are better at doing this by habit, but for me, making that extra adjustment could keep me from getting the shot, or, if I am in a hurry, give me another opportunity to make a mistake. For me, personally, I'd probably be more likely to come out right by making a mf adjustment.
01-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #55

QuoteQuote:
Not annoyed by being in debug mode all the time?
Presumably it doesn't have any adverse effects on performance (frame rate, etc.)?
Also, the LCD being on all the time will surely drain the battery quickly.
01-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #56

Ok,
After a lot of frustration, and thinking about really hating the focus on my K10d, I downloaded the debug mode, and it worked surprisingly well.
One note: While it seemed to download ok on my vista laptop, It refused to perform the required tasks.
But when I performed the exact same steps with my XP desktop it worked perfectly.
Now my situation is a little unique, I almost exclusively use only the da35 macro, and most of the time I shoot exterior bulidings and landscapes @ f5.6-f8.0 , and I almost always shoot manual focus. At these distances focus isn't that critical.
Occasionally I do like to take shots of my family, and at these times the focus was really frustrating.
Ok, now I have one more question,
The visually aquired focus on the focus screen is also off by a noticable amount, Has anyone tried to do the actual physical adjustment to correct this?
I have no intention of ever sending the camera in for Pentax service.
Incidentally The adjustment I settled on for the DA35 was +130.
I haven't decided yet on whether to leave the camera in DeBug mode or not.
Actually the only reason I could see to switch it back is if I were going to sell or trade it in.
Levi
01-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Levi Quote
Ok,
After a lot of frustration, and thinking about really hating the focus on my K10d, I downloaded the debug mode, and it worked surprisingly well.
One note: While it seemed to download ok on my vista laptop, It refused to perform the required tasks.
But when I performed the exact same steps with my XP desktop it worked perfectly.
That utility is not Vista compatible.

QuoteQuote:
Now my situation is a little unique, I almost exclusively use only the da35 macro, and most of the time I shoot exterior bulidings and landscapes @ f5.6-f8.0 , and I almost always shoot manual focus. At these distances focus isn't that critical.
Occasionally I do like to take shots of my family, and at these times the focus was really frustrating.
I feel for you. :-)

QuoteQuote:
Ok, now I have one more question,
The visually aquired focus on the focus screen is also off by a noticable amount, Has anyone tried to do the actual physical adjustment to correct this?
I have no intention of ever sending the camera in for Pentax service.
How is it off? Front focusing or back focusing or simply the in-focus range is too large?

Anyway, read also my articles below which should give you more ideas about focus calibration of SLRs, the focus screens and tricks:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Focus Calibrations for (Pentax) (D)SLR Bodies and Lenses

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When the Focusing Screen Lies (for Focusing and Metering)

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When the Focusing Screen Lies - Part 2

QuoteQuote:
Incidentally The adjustment I settled on for the DA35 was +130.
I haven't decided yet on whether to leave the camera in DeBug mode or not.
Actually the only reason I could see to switch it back is if I were going to sell or trade it in.
Levi
Just leave it there then.
01-25-2009, 02:24 AM   #58
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
That utility is not Vista compatible.
and yet I downloaded it, instaled it, got in debug, changed what needed to change and got out of debug again. And all on Vista operating, Toshiba laptop...
BR
01-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by quattro Quote
Also, the LCD being on all the time will surely drain the battery quickly.
I was concerned about this when I went on a week-long road trip through Southern CA and AZ and found that so long as I watched how many images I snapped during the days, I was more that able to keep up with the battery usage. Only when I snapped more than 300 images in one day did I find that the battery didn't last as long as I'd hoped.

Would turning the debug mode off help during that day? Most likely.
How often would I expect a run of shooting pictures over a 10 hour period? Not likely.

For me, it's not as much of a big deal as being able to change the focal adjustment based on the IR component of the available lighting.
01-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
I was concerned about this when I went on a week-long road trip through Southern CA and AZ and found that so long as I watched how many images I snapped during the days, I was more that able to keep up with the battery usage. Only when I snapped more than 300 images in one day did I find that the battery didn't last as long as I'd hoped.
For what it's worth, I have shot over 1000 shots in 1 day on a single battery (K10D, non Debug mode), and the battery indicator was still full at the end of the day. So if turning on Debug mode reduces this to substantially less than 1000 I would be concerned.

I also downloaded the Debug mode switcher program, and contrary to ricehigh's post it worked in Vista and XP with no problems.

I used it to confirm my K10D was focusing correctly on all the lenses that I regularly use (using a focusing chart) and therefore any focusing problems would be due to operator error (LOL!)

Since then, I have switched off the Debug mode as I was concerned about the impact on battery life, LCD lifespan and potential impact of the heat generated on the sensor.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 01-26-2009 at 01:40 PM.