Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #121
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pdxbmw Quote
neither the debug program nor the modset.txt on an SD card is getting me into my K10D with 1.3. Any ideas?
What operating system are you running?

11-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #122

XP pro. I tried the debug program and it restarts my system. I tried the SD card debug and nothing.
11-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #123
Inactive Account

XP pro. I tried the debug program and it restarts my system. I tried the SD card debug and nothing.
I'm running XP Home. I just tried reopenning the program I downloaded sometime around the beginning of this thread. No problem. I haven't connected my camera to since I initially finished my focus adjustments, so as a test, I just did. No problem. I disconnected my camera, turned it back on and went two clicks right in the menu and two clicks up from there and was right where I should have been, at the focus adjustment.
My downloaded program is still working just fine.

Maybe you should try deleting the program and re-downloading it.
11-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Instead of using the program, you could try this alternative way of enabling the debug mode.
So I used this method to finally get into the debug mode, but how do I get out?

11-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #125
Pentaxian

So I used this method to finally get into the debug mode, but how do I get out?
Should be similar on a K10D (I only got the K100D, where the "disable" item is the first one in the service menu).
11-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #126

nope, nothing in the service or test menu.
11-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #127

I did notice that in the debug mode, if you go to the shake reduction in the menu, it looks like you can adjust it. Mine was set to minus. It is either -, 0 or +. I hadn't noticed anyone else mention this in there posts.

11-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #128

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tried it on my Grand Prix and it seems that my camera need not be modified..
11-22-2009, 12:28 AM   #129
Pentaxian

nope, nothing in the service or test menu.
Isn't the first entry of the service menu "debug mode" (or similar) and you can set it to "DIS" (disabled)? If everything else fails, you should be able to use the "MODSET.TXT" method with the corresponding disabling command (see the site I originally referenced).
11-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #130

I created a file called modset.txt, wrote
[debug_mode en]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
turned the camera on with the card door open and pressed the menu button. Turned camera off, closed the door and turned it back on. It then said debug mode. I changed the focus and now I can't get out of debug mode. If I was in debug mode all the time I wouldn't mind, if the screen was blank. I tried the [debug_mode dis] and that does not seem to get it out either. The Russian program just restarts my system every time I try it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times. Not sure what to do next.
When I try the exact opposite with the [debug_mode dis], nothing happens. Turning the camera on and holding the menu button, it tells me dsp ver: 1.30.00.18 cpu ver:1.30.00.18
When I go into the setup menu and hit up it takes me to the "test menu" which only has three options: capture/system test, af test and strings disp test.

Last edited by pdxbmw; 11-22-2009 at 12:47 AM.
11-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #131
Veteran Member

I created a file called modset.txt, wrote
[debug_mode en]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
turned the camera on with the card door open and pressed the menu button. Turned camera off, closed the door and turned it back on. It then said debug mode. I changed the focus and now I can't get out of debug mode. If I was in debug mode all the time I wouldn't mind, if the screen was blank. I tried the [debug_mode dis] and that does not seem to get it out either. The Russian program just restarts my system every time I try it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times. Not sure what to do next.
When I try the exact opposite with the [debug_mode dis], nothing happens. Turning the camera on and holding the menu button, it tells me dsp ver: 1.30.00.18 cpu ver:1.30.00.18
When I go into the setup menu and hit up it takes me to the "test menu" which only has three options: capture/system test, af test and strings disp test.
Man, try to think...
Why would you need [debug_mode en] if there is [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
???

Create MODSET.TXT with such contents:
Code:
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
I have MODSET.TXT permanently on all SD/SDHC cards. When I need to enter debug menu, I just turn mine K10D on with opened card-door, enable debug and calibrate AF. Then turn-off-on and again disable debug. That's all.
11-22-2009, 02:01 AM   #132

Zebooka, Thanks. I did both because I don't know programing at all and couldn't get anything else to work. I changed it over to just [open_debug_menu] and it finally got me out. Thanks, now I can go to sleep.
11-22-2009, 04:40 AM   #133
Veteran Member

Zebooka, Thanks. I did both because I don't know programing at all and couldn't get anything else to work. I changed it over to just [open_debug_menu] and it finally got me out. Thanks, now I can go to sleep.

I had about the same feelings when used makc's debug enabling program for K10D 1.30 on mine K100D Super and can't get out debug mode ))
Still, I found, that key combo for K100D worked in debug mode and I managed to switch it finally off.
12-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #134

Just bumping here to add some clarification to an old thread. I noticed I was getting more and more backfocused pics in my K10D and to correct for that, I had to add +60 um calibration in the debug mode, from +50 to +110 - it indeed seems as if some K10D's started to backfocus more as they age!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you have access to a computer with XP, try that, because it was the only way that I could get it to work (have an ancient computer in my basement that I just use for word processing).
The debug mode activation tool works fine in Vista too, also in 64-bit (Win 7 I haven't tested) - you just need to go to the properties of the .exe file with the right mouse button, and in the compatibility tab (if I recall correctly) set the program to run in administrator mode. You can also try running it in XP mode, but administrator mode was the one that did it for me.

Also, someone said that the shortcut the installer created to Start menu didn't work - there's indeed a bug in the installer. Just use your explorer to browse to the directory where you installed the application and run it from there.
12-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #135
Veteran Member

I have the software and the camera all working fine and I can turn it on and off ok via the laptop any time but can some can some one please explain the charts use.

With my k10 on a tripod set at 45 degrees to a table and the printed on A4 paper the chart absolutely flat, the aperture at its widest and the distance to the paper just off the minimum focus distance, there is a big difference how much of the scale is visible depending on the focal length of the lens due to the minimum focal distance of that lens.

So, with my adjustment set on 0 with a 50mm lens the difference on seem to start on the chart at the 30mm mark the one furthest away [back focus I presume] is blurred but the front[ closest] one is not.
is this enough of a problem to warrant adjustment?

The charts instructions I have seen all seem to be more worried about up to the 6mm mark being out compared to the other same distance.

Also as i mentioned above as you test a longer focal length lens the minimum focal distance increases and you see more of the chart,
so which distance with a difference are acceptable and which ones are not?
Alistair

It occurs to me that if the K7 and te K20 have the ability built in to adjust back focus in the standard in camera software, where are these charts to use and the instructions of how to interpret the results???

Last edited by adwb; 12-16-2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: another thought