Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #31
Pentaxian

You need to have a moderator update the thread title to add. "......and now elated!"

08-17-2014, 01:43 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
Yep good old CR Kennedy what a bunch of p****s I was really sad the day that Bronica & Metz were stopped going from Gunz here in Oz to C R Kennedy . From 1 really good company to a bunch of A holes.
CR Kennedy is the reason why I would never buy a new Pentax Metz or Sigma product in here in Oz would rather get a grey import
Oh wow they have hurt you badly I am so sorry to hear that 😞

---------- Post added 08-17-14 at 01:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
For tourist type travel, a good option may simply be to take along a quality pocketable compact like a Sony RX100 (version 1 prices have dropped a lot now) or perhaps a Ricoh GR instead of a DSLR + lenses + charger + bag etc etc.

Just saying.
Yeah I know that would be the sensible thing to do but I am not known for my sensibility 😜

---------- Post added 08-17-14 at 01:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I personally would find a camera rental company and rent a body, because I think there's a flaw in your logic.

you are afraid to (in worst case) completely destroy or lose the "new" body, in which case you'd have to replace it and you'd be out the full purchase price.

instead you prefer to purchase another body, in which case you are out the full purchase price regardless.

since you will have a functioning body in the future, minimize the financial impact and rent or take a loaner, since it's only in a worst case scenario you are out the full purchase price.

if you insist on purchasing a new camera, you might as well upgrade for this "trip of a lifetime" and get the k3. sell the k50 upon return to recoup costs.

It really makes no sense to me to purchase a duplicate/redundant second body (k50 or k5) just because you are afraid you might lose/ruin it.

I'm sure there are several PF members that would be willing happy to ship you a spare body they have lying around. Terms might be something like you pay costs to and from OZ and only if you break it you buy it for a prenegotiated price with the money perhaps held in escrow, such as paypal. It wouldn't be any different than putting down a deposit on a loaner, and at least you aren't out the full cost of a new body before your trip even begins.
Yes I checked out several rental companies and all had a minimum of 6 months rental so basically half the cost of the camera so I had to work out if I sold the camera I could make half of what I bought it for and the odds seemed pretty good. It really was a matter of taking a leap of faith with the k-3 and I am so glad I did. I fully understand where you are coming from and think it makes good reason but when I pay for things I like them to be mine 😜
Thanks for taking the time to reply I really appreciated it and you gave me something to think about.

---------- Post added 08-17-14 at 01:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Despite what you may have read on these forums, that is an irrational fear. At least it is irrational in practical terms. Your chances of getting a bad K-3 are no larger than getting another bad K-50 or getting a bad EOS 700D or bad D5200.

Steve
Hehe Steve you always know the right things to say 😀
08-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Hehe Steve you always know the right things to say
No, not always, but thank you for the compliment. You are going to like the K-3 even more as you spend more time with the camera. As noted above, having a backup camera (P&S or even a cell phone) is a good idea. Have a great trip and do share your photos here!

Steve
08-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, not always, but thank you for the compliment. You are going to like the K-3 even more as you spend more time with the camera. As noted above, having a backup camera (P&S or even a cell phone) is a good idea. Have a great trip and do share your photos here!

Steve
Had a play this morning and put up one of my first shots it is not as hard to use as I envisioned I totally love this camera thanks for the nudge in the right direction 👍

08-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Had a play this morning and put up one of my first shots it is not as hard to use as I envisioned I totally love this camera thanks for the nudge in the right direction 👍
I am officially jealous ...... time to brake one of the cameras and tell my better half that I cannot go on with life unless it is replaced with a K3

Mark
08-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I am officially jealous ...... time to brake one of the cameras and tell my better half that I cannot go on with life unless it is replaced with a K3

Mark
Do it 😜 but I have to tell you the bank account she no longer is there but I am gonna get my money's worth. Lol no Xmas or bday presents for me for the next several years and no bigma for a long while now.

---------- Post added 08-17-14 at 07:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote

Mark
Also own horses anything you do from there in is cheap in comparison even with 2 DSLRs in three months and a collection of lenses I am way ahead lol
08-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So camera is back in under one week they upgraded the firmware and guess what couldn't find anything and blamed my SD cards for being corrupt........... I only use Mac iPad and format my cards regularly and happens on two different cards and had no issues with the K-3 yet fingers crossed. So not convinced the problem is fixed well guess we will see sigh....... Oh well still not complaining about getting my k-3 hubby now has a k-50 to take on holidays
09-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi gang back from Alaska and my k-3 didn't miss a beat but the k-50 is up to its old tricks again had and awesome time if there is anyone that is from Alaska on this board I love love love your state the country animals and people all beautiful. Hubby took the k-50 as a back up well I am surprised he didn't throw it overboard back to freezing and not switching off multiple times and it was erratic when he did it but.......... This time we got it on video so back for repairs it goes I feel I got a dud in this one. I took just under 5000 shots on the k-3 so might have a couple to share hehe. Took a tour with Ron Murray in Fairbanks and his wife Marketta beautiful people that do tours of the Northern lights and how to photograph them worth every cent. Anyhow I will post some in the picture sections. Hope everyone is well I feel like I have been away for an eternity.