Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 427
Indecisive and sad

Some of you may know my beloved k-50 only 3 months old had to be sent in for repairs due to an electronic fault won't shut off after a burst mode in any function unless you pull the batteries out yes even using the off switch. While that is a problem alone I bought it for my trip of a life time to Alaska and Canada and the camera won't be repaired by the time I go
So I suggested to Pentax Australia they replace it since I won't have it for what it was purchased for but um no so now I have to buy another camera before I go the question is do I get another k-50 only very limited amount in the country I have Kennedy Qld holding me one till Monday the best price they can do me is $490 postage included, I am worried that Photokina will release a new model and I will be stuck with 2 reasonably new k-50s. Another option spend $1500 get a k-3 but must say I am scared to death that I will get one and suffer mirror flop kennedy are sold out of k-3 so would buy through a dealer with genuine warranty but also running low so if something happened to that camera I am out of money and no camera. I did look at a Nikon D7100 by the time I got what I need for it about $2000 but have some older lens from my DIL from his professional photography days over 10yrs ago.
So I think initially I should go the cheap option and get the k-50 but must say getting a k-3 would be awesome but scared to death of it having issues. All these cameras would have to be bought online and posted as our local dealer has no stock except for the nikon D7100 which I can get from my local Harvey Norman.

What would you do?

08-16-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 698
If I were in that situation I would definitely go for the K-3 without hesitation.

I upgraded from a K-30 to the K-3 about a year ago and I never regretted it.

I still have the K-30 and use it as a second camera. As far as I know the K-30 and the K-50 are exactly the same thing except for the external visual appearance.

I don't think the mirror flop issue is anywhere near as common as is is made to seem. Whatever you buy there is always the chance of it having some fault and if you buy something else instead of the K-3 I don't think it would be any less likely that you may buy a faulty camera.
08-16-2014, 01:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 427
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
If I were in that situation I would definitely go for the K-3 without hesitation.

I upgraded from a K-30 to the K-3 about a year ago and I never regretted it.

I still have the K-30 and use it as a second camera. As far as I know the K-30 and the K-50 are exactly the same thing except for the external visual appearance.

I don't think the mirror flop issue is anywhere near as common as is is made to seem. Whatever you buy there is always the chance of it having some fault and if you buy something else instead of the K-3 I don't think it would be any less likely that you may buy a faulty camera.
Cheers thanks for that I appreciate your thoughts nice to know you haven't had any issues👍
08-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
kev.pride's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Modbury North, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 346
Any camera model of any brand can have issues, I would say most of the K3's sold have not had issues - mine hasn't.

If the price does seem reasonable go for either camera - $1500 seems a lot for a K3 however.

Kevin

08-16-2014, 03:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Posts: 1,226
Another option would be to pick up a K5 lls if the prices are reasonably what they are as here in the states. Here it is only a couple hundred dollars more than the K50 and one heck of a camera.
08-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,767
If I were you I would demand a replacement instead of a fix. It depends on your local laws, sure, but if you get a faulty product you should be able to get a replacement or money back. Of course its easier/cheaper for the store to just "fix it", but you should look up the laws on this subject and make a demand. Fixing the camera can take a long time and might not even fix it completely. If you have warranty and the original receipt, it should be okay. There is probably some local bureau or other consumer protection agency that can help you out, as well. Just mentioning them at the store will often make things easier.
Another thing you could do is rent a camera for the trip and give the bill to the repairs store.

Its really too bad you have this problem. I hope you get it all sorted out.
08-16-2014, 04:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,771
Vanbar is still selling (3 left only) K-x's new, I noticed the other day, for just $330, if you want a real budget option. Great travel camera too, since it takes AA's without the need for an adapter.

But if you can get a K-50 for $490 postage included, that's a great price for a nice camera, and it's always handy to have 2 bodies at the end of the day.

And don't forget, Photokina may reveal nothing interesting. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

EDIT: I agree with Na Horuk. Under the national Competition and Consumer Act Law 2010, you could make a case that you were offered a camera that was not of merchantable quality and you are entitled to a refund or replacement. Mention that you might have to call the ACCC about the difficulty you have been having getting your consumer rights respected, and see what your retailer, or CRK, say then

Last edited by rawr; 08-16-2014 at 04:44 AM.
08-16-2014, 04:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member
chromo's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Coast NSW
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 567
I second demanding a new camera.
Did you just happen to mention to the seller that you'll be using it for photos on your trip ?

08-16-2014, 04:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 427
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Any camera model of any brand can have issues, I would say most of the K3's sold have not had issues - mine hasn't.

If the price does seem reasonable go for either camera - $1500 seems a lot for a K3 however.

Kevin
Our dollar and specials don't seem to match the states anywhere near as well I should mention that price is with a battery grip still not super cheap but obviously bought in when our dollar was lower

---------- Post added 08-16-14 at 04:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Another option would be to pick up a K5 lls if the prices are reasonably what they are as here in the states. Here it is only a couple hundred dollars more than the K50 and one heck of a camera.
Now that is the irony the k-5iis are only a couple of hundred cheaper than the k-3 here
08-16-2014, 04:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
kev.pride's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Modbury North, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 346
$1500 with a grip is near the mark.

Kevin
08-16-2014, 04:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 427
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
I second demanding a new camera.
Did you just happen to mention to the seller that you'll be using it for photos on your trip ?
Yep both the seller and the Pentax supplier here in Qld I was pretty miffed at the time. Think they saw it as an opportunity to make some more bucks although the rep I spoke to did manage to find a possible loaner k-3 for me but I was hesitant because if anything happened to it I would be expected to pay and my insurance wouldn't cover it and I would have to pay for a camera that wasn't mine. All of this happened on Monday and they had no cameras in the country and then a shipment arrived of k-50 that arvo and she got one sent to Office in Qld for me but failed to give me a price on Wednesday there was a state holiday and still hadn't contacted me by Thursday so I had to ring her so needed to decide by Friday and gather some money together so I have the w/e to make my mind up.
08-16-2014, 05:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Posts: 3,067
When are you going and how long for? I'd consider loaning you my K5II.....however I'm taking at as a second body OS from 3rd September.

I just bought a K3 body only for $1250.
08-16-2014, 05:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newcastle
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,506
QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Yep both the seller and the Pentax supplier here in Qld I was pretty miffed at the time. Think they saw it as an opportunity to make some more bucks although the rep I spoke to did manage to find a possible loaner k-3 for me but I was hesitant because if anything happened to it I would be expected to pay and my insurance wouldn't cover it and I would have to pay for a camera that wasn't mine. All of this happened on Monday and they had no cameras in the country and then a shipment arrived of k-50 that arvo and she got one sent to Office in Qld for me but failed to give me a price on Wednesday there was a state holiday and still hadn't contacted me by Thursday so I had to ring her so needed to decide by Friday and gather some money together so I have the w/e to make my mind up.
Buy a second hand K-5 or the like. Get a good price and a good camera wrapped up in one. And, of course, demand a replacement or refund.

Mark
08-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Bob from Aus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,084
PM sent
08-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 427
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
When are you going and how long for? I'd consider loaning you my K5II.....however I'm taking at as a second body OS from 3rd September.

I just bought a K3 body only for $1250.
You are so lovely I wouldn't take your offer though for the same reason I wouldn't take the k-3 that they may have been able to lend me because if anything happened to it I would be horrified. Thank you that was so lovely of you. Hope you have a fabulous holiday. Can't wait to see your piccies when you get back.

---------- Post added 08-16-14 at 05:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Vanbar is still selling (3 left only) K-x's new, I noticed the other day, for just $330, if you want a real budget option. Great travel camera too, since it takes AA's without the need for an adapter.

But if you can get a K-50 for $490 postage included, that's a great price for a nice camera, and it's always handy to have 2 bodies at the end of the day.

And don't forget, Photokina may reveal nothing interesting. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

EDIT: I agree with Na Horuk. Under the national Competition and Consumer Act Law 2010, you could make a case that you were offered a camera that was not of merchantable quality and you are entitled to a refund or replacement. Mention that you might have to call the ACCC about the difficulty you have been having getting your consumer rights respected, and see what your retailer, or CRK, say then
Mmmm I might mention that on Monday and yes I know even if Photokina does offer something it may take months to get here as well .it just bites. Lol I have a feeling that would save me ever having to deal with CR Kennedy ever again

---------- Post added 08-16-14 at 05:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
PM sent
Hi Bob some reason the PM hasn't come through so not ignoring you just haven't got it 😜
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, bunch, camera, camera model, consumer, couple, cr kennedy, d7100, day, dealer, death, dollar, dslr, issues, k-3, k-50, kennedy, metz, nikon, offer, option, photography, photokina, pm, price, reason, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sad sad day.... manacho2005 Pentax K-5 36 03-01-2013 10:05 PM
Indecisive choosing a camera. ckusnierek Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 34 04-10-2010 09:37 AM
Travel Three: pilgrims, waiting and sad puppy sealonsf Post Your Photos! 2 02-21-2010 11:39 PM
Indecisive Taff Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 12-02-2009 08:14 AM
indecisive potatostar Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 12-09-2006 11:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top