Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
It is more a mater of character and if you are really after the topic or not. Some spend lot of on clothes, other on camera, phone, musical instruments, sport gear, cars... Some spend their money on alcool, tobaco...

You can spend a lot in any area or all. As long as you can afford it, there no real problem for me

Was is the most important anyway is that you enjoy it this way ! You should only consider to change if there any need/desire!
That's exactly right! I can't fault anyone for spending money a hobby that they enjoy and can afford. And yeah, I'm not upgrading bodies, but I buy a lens every few months (or more!) just to have something new and exciting. I'm still developing a roll of film every now and then. We're all just having a good time (I hope!).

08-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I purchased a K100D in September of 2006 because I felt I needed more than my bridge camera (a Sony H1) could deliver. I purchased a K-7 in May of 2010 because I wanted a battery grip. I'll likely keep the K-7 until it breaks, though I may pick up a K-3 if I deem the price to be right.

I've been tempted to pick up a K-01 for those times a smaller form factor would be handy, but the lack of a VF turns me off. The KS-1 looks intriguing, if real, and that might tempt me for a smaller body.
08-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #33
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Phone > Cybershot p&s > new phone > K-50. I found myself taking more and more pictures with my phone, and thought it was time to invest money in a dslr. I'm a PC builder/case modder/overclocker (one of those guys), and was frankly getting burnt out building all of the time. PC building is an extremely expensive habit, and at the end of the day, you find yourself with a bunch of water cooled computers everywhere, collecting dust. Unlike lenses, PC parts don't hold their value, and the folks that buy used are either guys that live in foreign countries (lack availability to gear) who will pay worthwhile money, or a bunch of broke PC gamers who want you to give your stuff away.

The transition to photography has been easier than I thought, partly because I've learned some lessons from my past. I'm a gear hound by nature, so its weird for me to struggle with dropping $200 on a used lens - when i routinely spent $500 on a video card that wasn't even good enough to replace the card in my primary box. After an early bout with LBA, i sold all of that stuff off, and find myself with a reasonable kit that makes me really happy.

I think the difference for me between the two hobbies, is that with PC parts, you're always questing for more speed, while with my camera, i can get results from a $15 Pentax 35-80 - that make me just as happy as what i get with a lens that costs 20x as much. My K-50 gives me more than i can use, and in 7 months, i have 12k clicks on the shutter. I hope to give it to my daughter someday (she's only 4 now) but im guessing that i will wear it out long before then.

That will be a seriously satisfying feeling, for sure!
08-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
That's exactly right! I can't fault anyone for spending money a hobby that they enjoy and can afford. And yeah, I'm not upgrading bodies, but I buy a lens every few months (or more!) just to have something new and exciting. I'm still developing a roll of film every now and then. We're all just having a good time (I hope!).
Sometimes, spending money IS a hobby...

08-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
I think the difference for me between the two hobbies, is that with PC parts, you're always questing for more speed, while with my camera, i can get results from a $15 Pentax 35-80 - that make me just as happy as what i get with a lens that costs 20x as much. My K-50 gives me more than i can use, and in 7 months, i have 12k clicks on the shutter. I hope to give it to my daughter someday (she's only 4 now) but im guessing that i will wear it out long before then.

That will be a seriously satisfying feeling, for sure!
It is because you viewed things differently. You absolutely wanted the greatest video card and to OC it to get better score in benchmarks. Each time a new one was better was a reason to upgrade. As for photo you don't care much of the best camera body or of the best lenses.

If you did, you would want the best lenses, and this really, really cost a lot, high end lenses are in the 500-2000$ price range, each. A complete set being at least 3 zooms & 4-5 primes, we are already in the $10000 range. Add to this a good body and that easily $1000, $2000 for the FF ones.
08-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from K1 0D to K5iiS

K10d AF was terrible. Whenever I slapped on a 35mm lens, it never focused right.

With a 70-300mm lens, AF was terribly slow.

My K5iiS is great with every lens ! ! !
08-24-2014, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #37
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
It is because you viewed things differently. You absolutely wanted the greatest video card and to OC it to get better score in benchmarks. Each time a new one was better was a reason to upgrade. As for photo you don't care much of the best camera body or of the best lenses.

If you did, you would want the best lenses, and this really, really cost a lot, high end lenses are in the 500-2000$ price range, each. A complete set being at least 3 zooms & 4-5 primes, we are already in the $10000 range. Add to this a good body and that easily $1000, $2000 for the FF ones.
Well I guess that's my point. I don't need the best lenses to get results that make me happy. Trust me, if the results weren't good, then I'd be doing a heckuva lot more reading/studying/shooting until they improved. And if they didn't after that, then I would have to take a look at the hardware (lenses/body) involved. But that hasn't been the case. The learning curve is different in this hobby. You can get satisfying results without the top-level gear -- and the extreme know-how to go along with it. The people that have those high-end lenses + the experience + something of a gift, can get those otherworldly results that make everybody go "wow". The step-down from that level, and even hacks like me, can still produce stuff that makes them happy, even operating under a lesser budget, and in my case, with only rudimentary skills. It's not that I don't care about the best body/lenses -- it's the understanding on my part, that in my hands -- the results won't be a lick better than what I'm already doing. My guess is that the day I "upgrade" the camera body, will be the day the inner "gear guy" gets the best of me, as opposed to "needing" something more

08-25-2014, 03:14 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mainly cause I want to. I have owned a K100, K10, K20, K7, K5, K5 II, and K3 (oh, and k-01 too). My wife does shoot professionally and uses photography funds to pay for upgrades, but there usually isn't any particular "need" except that there are more bells and whistles or a slightly improved sensor.

We usually wait to get cameras until the price drops off of the release price somewhat and that helps.
08-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I've had the k100 since 2007 and my use of it has decreased over time as the AF and low light performance started becoming inadequate.
Have a k-5 on the way and hoping it addresses both of those issues.
As far as lenses go, the weird and wacky ones appeal to me the most.
08-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I went from a k100d to the k5iis early spring. I had the k100d for about 7.5 years and nearly 60k photos. Buttons weren't always working and I wasn't sure how much life it had left in it, it certainly owed me nothing.

I was pretty set on getting a discontinued 'flagship' model for the extra features (especially a top lcd) at a bargain price. Buying last years tech wasn't a problem, I was still pretty happy with several years ago tech. I didn't see that the K-3 offered me anything I would drool over compared to the k5iis and I was also not sure if the old k100d would hang on long enough for the k-3 to drop to my price range, so k5iis it was.

I expect to use the k5iis for several years or until it is threatening to fall apart.
08-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon film ('76) => Pentax film (ZX5) => K5 (2011) => K5IIs (2013). K5 is the backup/knockaround just now, no plans to sell it.

Next???
08-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #42
Inactive Account

I had a Canon before but switched to a Pentax K100D due to lens compatibility. It seemed sensible to be able to use the same lenses from my film stuff on the digital.
08-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reason to upgrade

Canon AE-1, A-1, F-1, etc.--> Pentax K-1000 (Sears brand) -->Canon G-12 --> Pentax K-10 --> Pentax K-20 --> Pentax K-20 with Katz eye --> K-7 --> K-01 mirrorless--> K-5II

Still have shelves full of Canon film equipment, but have converted two 50 mm f 1.2 lenses to K-mount.

I used Sears (K-1000) film camera for 15 years of international consulting travel until it felt like part of me with four film cannisters taped to the carrying strap always loaded with different film or slide film. Always used in all manual mode until I reached the point that my eyes served as light meter, and did not have too many misses!

Bought Pentax K-10 after international travel days, and enjoyed using the old Sears lenses with it, plus began buying a few other manual lenses.

Bought the Canon G-12 digital for easy portability for international travel and because of residual affection for Canon.

Kept the K-10 and upgraded to K-20.

Bought another K-20 from a member to get the Katz-eye focussing screen, only to realize I hardly needed it with all the other Pentax focussing aids such as catch in focus.

Upgraded by buying K-7 from Keh, still one of my favorite cameras.

Gave the K-10 to one of my sisters to get her started back in photography.

Bought K-01 mirrorless because the K-5 level image quality and extremely low close out pricing made it a no brainer.

Gave the original K-20 to another sister to get her started back in photography.

Bought a Q from a member and three different lens adapters so I can use Pentax, Canon FD, or Pentax 110 lenses. It is still just a toy to play around with, and I will have to become a bird photographer to make any practical use of all the adapted lenses I have to use on it!

Bought K-5II from Keh and six months later turned it into a brick installing updated firmware. That was June 2014, and the camera is still with CRIS, or rather CRIS shipped it to Precision, the new Pentax repair shop, and still hoping to get it back before K-3 prices fall into irresistable territory.

Reading the K-10 Club posts and seeing the photos makes me wish to have a K-10 again, but I have so many cameras now I am trying to resist.

Anyway, I am resisting the K-3, but my desire to have the latest will probably push me toward a purchase when pricing drops to around $700 or $800.

(This is just the Pentax digital trail. I also have numerous Pentax film cameras including two MZ-Ss and a nice Pentax 645.)