Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #1

Why do you upgrade?

As the title saids I was just wondering with mainly DSLR bodies when & why do you upgrade?
Is it when new model comes out? win lotto? or is the older body getting too old? ie start playing up ? Or are you a person that has to have the latest & greatest item?
Also when you up grade what do you do with the old body keep for back up sell give away or just put on display or in the cupboard?
Thanks

08-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, in terms of cameras, I have only ever upgraded once. I bought the K-r as my first DSLR (I was a beginner and lacked funding for a K-7 or K-5). After a couple years of experience and needing additional features (TAv, WR, Level, etc) I bought the K-3.

I kept my K-r as it was not worth selling. It gets rotated in now and then as it is a fantastic camera. You can't beat the size of it with the limiteds. We also have an old K100d kicking around, the wife uses it as her main camera.

In terms of other technological gadgets, I generally run them until they die or become obsolete. However, when I buy something, I buy the newest and greatest in hopes of stalling obsolescence.
08-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K100D --> K-20D --> K5.

First for MPs, then for ISO performance. Sold older items.
08-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I started with a k100d in 2008 which seemed like the best bang for buck I could find as a beginner... Upgraded to k5 when the price got down to around 800 in 2012 bc it seemed totally worth it.. I will upgrade again either when FF is unveiled (including however long collecting all the cash may take, because I really want FF and have for a long time), or when my k5 dies.

08-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I only get a new DSLR to replace a broken one.
So far my K7 have not given my any reason to replace it.

I would still be using my K10D if it didn't break down after a few years of use. I could fix the problem myself, but I didn't realize it until after I already got a new K7. So now I have K10D as backup.

I kind of like the challenge of producing great result with older equipment. Which is another reason why I enjoy using 50-60 year old lenses.
08-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently upgraded because I wanted to shoot film again.
08-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

...because I keep thinking that getting a better camera is going to make me a better photographer....
actually It's probably just my CBO.....

08-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For me any reason is a good reason for an upgrade, or a sidegrade or even at times a downgrade. My DSLR history (most of it) is as follows:

Kr only ---> Kr + SLT A33 ---> Kr + STL A37 ---> Kr + SLT A57 ---> Kr + K100D ---> Kr + K10D ---> Kr + K5 ---> Kr + K5 + T3i ---> Kr + K5 + K7 ---> K5 + K7 + K3

My main upgrade reasons are:

1- Money. Do I have some spare money?
2- Deal. Except for the Kr and the K3, all my other cameras were second/third/fourth hand. If I see a great deal here or on ebay and (1) is true, I get a new camera.
3- Features. Is there is an option I would like to have that a new body would bring? Or is my current body limiting me?
4- Change. Do I feel like I need a change? Or do I want to try something new? This is where I usually go "off brand" or try a different thing altogether, like a Q.

At the moment, I know that I will not be upgrading my main body (the K3) for a while. My plan is to skip one generation (so no K3ii). As for my backup body, unless I see an incredible deal on a K5iis, I'll also stick with the K5 for a while. But again, I have been checking a few m4/3 recently so it wouldn't be a surprise if one appeared in my lineup.

And regarding of what I do with the "older" cameras, it will depend. I usually put it for sale at the price I think it is worth. If it doesn't sell, it will go on display. Bodies normally are fairly easy to sell. At times (like my current K7) the camera is just not worth selling, it is near the end of its shutter life and cosmetically it looks like it's been through war... several times, so it will stay with me until death do us part.
08-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded from the K-5 "classic" to the K-3, not for the extra gigawatts, but for all the small improvements such as two card slots, brighter VF, focus peaking, AF performance, user modes. I still wouldn't have upgraded now if I hadn't found a good deal, though.

Too soon to say what I'll do with the K-5. Hard to pass on such a good camera! And having two bodies can be useful at times

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I recently upgraded because I wanted to shoot film again.
Good one.
08-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I upgrade because I hit the limits of what I can do with my current equipment and/or an upgrade in image quality. I have hit limits with my K5, but I'm holding off before upgrading to see what is next. Some of my lenses likely out resolve the sensor on my equipment right now.
08-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't make my income from photography, so I am not in a rush. I imagine if photography was my job, I would upgrade more often to stay "competitive." On the other hand, I know some pros who use pretty old equipment and take wonderful photos and make money with them.
Basically, I will upgrade my DSLR when a) my old one fails or if b) there is groundbreaking new technology
At the moment, my current cameras fit my needs, and I imagine they will for at least a year or two
08-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm afraid my reason is the same as Peter's; although having moved from the K-r to the K30 and I have a lot more confidence using the viewfinder to focus
08-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Why upgrade? For me, the upgrade path is driven by pain, as in "pain in the rear". Here is the history:

Canon G2 (first digital camera)
  • Great features
  • High resolution for the time (4Mpx)
  • Great lens
  • Slow AF and slow operation overall (PAIN!)
  • Clumsy manual focus (PAIN!)
  • Limited closeup capabilities (PAIN!)
  • No interchangeable lenses (PAIN!)
Pentax K10D (fix for G2 pain points)
Game changing camera at the time of release with too many plus points to name. The K10D fixed all of my G2 pain points and then some.
  • Incredibly practical camera
  • Great build and handling and a good fit for my style of shooting
  • Great sensor
  • Poor exposure metering with vintage lenses (HUGE PAIN!)
  • Fast and reliable AF performance with stationary subjects
  • Poor AF-C performance and poor AF overall with moving subjects (PAIN!)
  • Poor high ISO performance, though typical for the time (PAIN!)
  • No external PC flash sync (PAIN!)
  • Limited wide-angle options due to APS-C format (PAIN!)
  • Relatively loud shutter (minor pain)
Pentax K-3 (fix for most K10D pain points)
Also a game changing camera with multiple points of excellence. The K-3 addresses and fixes most of my pain points from the K10D and adds several features that I didn't know I needed until I actually used them.
  • Very nice build
  • Fast and quiet operation
  • Huge improvement to the AF system including a truly usable AF-C
  • Huge improvement in high ISO performance over K10D
  • Limited wide-angle options due to APS-C format (PAIN!)
  • Soooo many buttons that are soooo easy to push by accident (minor pain)
Hmmmm...still one outstanding pain point. Oh well, I managed with the K10D* for seven years. I can manage until Pentax actually releases a FF camera and I can actually afford the upgrade

BTW...This is only the digital progression. There is a parallel branch of film cameras driven (for the most part) by low price and desire for a larger format. Truth be told, for what I have paid out for film gear in the last five years, I could easily have bought a nice FF kit from Nikon.

Steve

* To be honest, I sort of miss the K10D. Its body, though a little larger than the K-3 had a better shape for a two handed grip. It also had a lot fewer buttons to keep track of.
08-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I updated from the K10 to the K5 for improved high iso performance (had just returned from African safari with the k10 and when the light went I was done, but others were able to keep snapping).
I updated from the K5 to the K5IIs to get rid of the AA filter since I mainly shoot landscapes and moire really wasn't a concern (and for me, turned out great).
Both times I had a very specific reason to change. I'm on the fence with the K3. I like the increased resolution and improved autofocus, but truthfully I'm in manual focus more than not so I question the need for what I do.
08-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #15

I upgraded 'cause it was part my living and partly 'cause I started with an easy Samsung DSLR. Mainly because it was easy as I was able to use Pentax lenses on it. So for the lenses, it was an investment for the future. As the Samsung was a standard DSLR for just starters. I knew I had to invest in better camera's in the future. In 2009 I bought the K200. The Samsung went to my dad. In 2012 I bought the K5. Which I'm still using. Got the Samsung camera back and my dad is using the K200 now. Like Na Horuk, the K5 fit my needs, also professional. And as long as it doesn't start failing like the Samsung does now I'll be happy the next few years. And I can save for a new camera.