Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

What would you like to see in new DSLR?

Hi all I guess Pentax is never going to go FF so what would you like to see on new body? or get rid off, as I see pentax will only have to mid to medium photographer ie no real professional photographer.
1 a body with a built in vertical grip
2 Have select auto focus via the eye ie like Canon have done ( with my K10 I find using the wheel a pain)
3 Get rid of things like programe
4 Get rid of pop up flash dont ever use it
5 Dont ever care for a touch screen or a movable screen ( I guess I am too old school SLR person LOL )
6 Faster FPS & auto focus for sports
7Get rid of stupid colored bodies cameras are either black or silver
8 Wish more companies would make more lens / flashes etc for Pentax
9 Get rid of the movie part yes again I am old school SLRs are for stills if you want a video go & buy a video camera
Any thoughts etc welcome ie what you would like to see & keep

08-16-2014, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
...as I see pentax will only have to mid to medium photographer ie no real professional photographer.
I really disagree with this. This forum is full of Professional photographers, so that goes to show that Pentax does make "Professional" bodies.

Now for the rest:
1. I do not want this. Pentax is made to be compact, therefore detachable is best.
2. I don't have any issues with this at the moment.
3. Program is a very under rated feature/function. I contend that it serves a place in everyone's menu.
4. Pop up flash is great for adding light to a back lit subject. I believe others use it for trigger flashes. I use mine a fair bit with a piece of paper in front to diffuse/soften the light.
5. Touch screen? No thanks, that would kill it for me. Movable screen? Absolutely. This would be very handy, but I do not want it to ruin the WR.
6. I don't need faster FPS but would love faster AF. Trade off being, how fast can you spin a legacy lens before it blows up?
7. Stupid coloured bodies are making money. Making money is good business practice. Good business practice means more money to put into developing new bodies/lenses. If coloured bodies didn't make money, they wouldn't make them. Plus, who doesn't want the option to customise? Clearly, they aren't going to make a professional body (K-3) in colours. But for consumer grade, it is a wonderful idea and if i ever buy a Q, you can bet I will custom order it.
8. Yes, I do. But if there is no revenue in Pentax mounts, companies won't make them. More sales means more lenses.
9. I hate having my K-3 being bulkier than it should be for some useless features, like movies and audio. But, in this day and age, it translates to sales and sales are good. I hope they continue to make good video improvements, although I will never use them.
08-16-2014, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see pentax will only have to mid to medium photographer ie no real professional photographer.
PENTAX - 645D Black

Kinda gets to the heart of the matter if you must equate sensor size to "professional".

What do I want in a new DSLR? A compact $1900 medium format camera.

Why would Ricoh try to compete in a contest that's already been won? Medium format is the future and its the one area where the Pentax brand has more history and experience in than Canon or Nikon. It's actually a battle Ricoh can win.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-16-2014 at 09:18 AM.
08-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

would love the next K-? to have the following (all of which I would use a lot if they were available)
- tilt screen
- built-in VF shutter (for long exposures)
- built-in vertical grip with independent access to two batteries
- better integration with iPhone remote control

08-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi ok but I was really talking about Not FF or Medium format cameras. I can see your point about coloured bodies & yes about faster auto focus. I guess around here in Oz I have never seen a pro with a Pentax. Hey around my town of 60000 no more camera shops & retails like Dick Smith Harvey Norman JB Hi Fi only sell Canon & Nikon bodys a few lens & stuff all flashes , some cheap tripods & bags rest either evil bay or the net
08-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
PENTAX - 645D Black

Kinda gets to the heart of the matter if you must equate sensor size to "professional".

What do I want in a new DSLR? A compact $1900 medium format camera.

Why would Ricoh try to compete in a contest that's already been won? Medium format is the future and its the one area where the Pentax brand has more history and experience in than Canon or Nikon. It's actually a battle Ricoh can win.
If they did one for that price I would buy it. If it was announced for preorder today I would be one of the first to do it.

I'd like a selectable IR, UV, and h-alpha filter.
08-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They could easily shave an inch off the 645d/z's depth, so I think that would be a great future improvement. However, I think smaller formats with compact form factors will dominate in the future, so Pentax should improve the speed of the Q system to make it suitable for high speed photography and not just people who care about customizable colors, which pretty much limits the target market to Japan.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess Pentax is never going to go FF so what would you like to see on new body?
Do you have some inside knowledge on this or are you just making things up?
as I see pentax will only have to mid to medium photographer ie no real professional photographer.
That is not only completely untrue it is rather insulting to the many professional photographers on this forum. I'll have to let my accountant know I am not 'professional', maybe I won't have to pay taxes

1 a body with a built in vertical grip - No thanks, that is completely anti-Pentax. If I want a grip I will add one thank you
2 Have select auto focus via the eye ie like Canon have done ( with my K10 I find using the wheel a pain) - I don't have a problem with the current method, not sure I understand the focus by eye thing though
3 Get rid of things like programe - Why? Some people find it useful, if you don't just ignore it
4 Get rid of pop up flash dont ever use it - Again, Why? It is quite useful for a little fill light and for controlling off camera flash
5 Dont ever care for a touch screen or a movable screen ( I guess I am too old school SLR person LOL ) - Touch screen, I agree. Tilt/moveable screen though I would happy to have.
6 Faster FPS & auto focus for sports - Might be better to have a dedicated 'sports' model like Nikon with faster frame rate and lower megapixels. Otherwise, no thanks, I never use burst anyway. The AF could be improved but I suspect that is going require new lenses, not a new camera. I do not think the screw drive can be made any faster and SDM just is not going to get the job done.
7Get rid of stupid colored bodies cameras are either black or silver - Again Why? If you like black, buy the black. But don't force everyone to. The colored bodies made an impact and sell.
8 Wish more companies would make more lens / flashes etc for Pentax - Third party support is important for lenses and currently lacking no question. For flashes, how many do you need? Metz and Pentax seem to cover all that is required.
9 Get rid of the movie part yes again I am old school SLRs are for stills if you want a video go & buy a video camera - Why? Lots of people making movies (and money) using DSLR video. I don't, but I do not care if it is included, there is no additional cost. And if it is not included then you automatically exclude a lot of customers that either do need it or won't buy a camera without it because they might need it.

Well I guess we agree that touch screens on DSLRs are a bad idea

08-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
I guess they havent done FF by now I can see them doing it in the future
I am sorry I have stepped on your toes or got your nose out of joint about Pro photographer Its time like this I remember why I left photographic forums

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do you have some inside knowledge on this or are you just making things up?

That is not only completely untrue it is rather insulting to the many professional photographers on this forum. I'll have to let my accountant know I am not 'professional', maybe I won't have to pay taxes

1 a body with a built in vertical grip - No thanks, that is completely anti-Pentax. If I want a grip I will add one thank you
2 Have select auto focus via the eye ie like Canon have done ( with my K10 I find using the wheel a pain) - I don't have a problem with the current method, not sure I understand the focus by eye thing though
3 Get rid of things like programe - Why? Some people find it useful, if you don't just ignore it
4 Get rid of pop up flash dont ever use it - Again, Why? It is quite useful for a little fill light and for controlling off camera flash
5 Dont ever care for a touch screen or a movable screen ( I guess I am too old school SLR person LOL ) - Touch screen, I agree. Tilt/moveable screen though I would happy to have.
6 Faster FPS & auto focus for sports - Might be better to have a dedicated 'sports' model like Nikon with faster frame rate and lower megapixels. Otherwise, no thanks, I never use burst anyway. The AF could be improved but I suspect that is going require new lenses, not a new camera. I do not think the screw drive can be made any faster and SDM just is not going to get the job done.
7Get rid of stupid colored bodies cameras are either black or silver - Again Why? If you like black, buy the black. But don't force everyone to. The colored bodies made an impact and sell.
8 Wish more companies would make more lens / flashes etc for Pentax - Third party support is important for lenses and currently lacking no question. For flashes, how many do you need? Metz and Pentax seem to cover all that is required.
9 Get rid of the movie part yes again I am old school SLRs are for stills if you want a video go & buy a video camera - Why? Lots of people making movies (and money) using DSLR video. I don't, but I do not care if it is included, there is no additional cost. And if it is not included then you automatically exclude a lot of customers that either do need it or won't buy a camera without it because they might need it.

Well I guess we agree that touch screens on DSLRs are a bad idea

08-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the current bodies. I'd much rather see some lenses to cover current gaps/wishes, such as:

1. fast tele-zoom that compliments the 50-135 rather than overlapping so much it's basically a replacement (120-300 f2.8, like the sigma?)
2. something between the 300 and 560 that I can actually afford
3. WR 12-24 update
4. WR primes
5. how about an updated version of the legendary and rare A 200 macro. Optical formula is there and obviously works.
08-16-2014, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The thing I would like to most see in a new DSLR is some Antarctic wildlife. Actually the camera and lenses I have, have every feature I really need to take fantastic photos. It's the locations I would love to get to.
08-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What I 'would' like to see in a new DSLR - hmmm..
Note: This may be in different bodies!

1. A Samsung / Sony NEX style device (K-01 was a 'nice try')
2. WiFi / GPS tagging built in (not all bodies... but some) - doesn't even have to be remote control style.
3. Stereo video recording (again - not all models) - and external mic jack (again not all models)
4. Dual SD card, USB-3
5. External power source (high end models?)
6. External HDMI out (high end models)
7. WR primes
08-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I really disagree with this. This forum is full of Professional photographers, so that goes to show that Pentax does make "Professional" bodies.

Now for the rest:
1. I do not want this. Pentax is made to be compact, therefore detachable is best.
2. I don't have any issues with this at the moment.
3. Program is a very under rated feature/function. I contend that it serves a place in everyone's menu.
4. Pop up flash is great for adding light to a back lit subject. I believe others use it for trigger flashes. I use mine a fair bit with a piece of paper in front to diffuse/soften the light.
5. Touch screen? No thanks, that would kill it for me. Movable screen? Absolutely. This would be very handy, but I do not want it to ruin the WR.
6. I don't need faster FPS but would love faster AF. Trade off being, how fast can you spin a legacy lens before it blows up?
7. Stupid coloured bodies are making money. Making money is good business practice. Good business practice means more money to put into developing new bodies/lenses. If coloured bodies didn't make money, they wouldn't make them. Plus, who doesn't want the option to customise? Clearly, they aren't going to make a professional body (K-3) in colours. But for consumer grade, it is a wonderful idea and if i ever buy a Q, you can bet I will custom order it.
8. Yes, I do. But if there is no revenue in Pentax mounts, companies won't make them. More sales means more lenses.
9. I hate having my K-3 being bulkier than it should be for some useless features, like movies and audio. But, in this day and age, it translates to sales and sales are good. I hope they continue to make good video improvements, although I will never use them.
I agree.
I would not mind some minor changes as well as some of the ones suggested in this thread but the problem is that it does depend on the photographers workflow preferences.
For example a minor thing I would love because it would make my life easier is if the "M" mode was adjacent (or at least close) to the "P" mode because I spend quite a bit of time switching between them (which is fiddly on the k-5 but a bit better on the K-3 no doubt). I know on the K-3 you could effectively set up a couple of adjacent User modes which would be easier than on my K-5 (hard to select between user modes).
I like the idea of a "Hyper Manual" in P mode too (if you change aperture and shutter and fix ISO then you are in Hyper M)- so that you can transition almost automatically into manual whenever P mode is not doing it for you.
08-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What would you like to see in new DSLR?
In general a smaller lighter simpler camera optimized for speed and responsiveness for the still shooter - not the swiss army knife approach so common now.

For starters get rid of video and flash and be able to hide menu items you never use or set once and forget and, of course, better ISO performance.

I find DSLRs bloated marketing BS that, to a great extent, get in the way of serious photography.

Last edited by wildman; 08-16-2014 at 08:33 PM.
08-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like them to add one diopter control that worked on the OVF (as it now does) and..... the LCD screen (top one and rear one) and all control markings!!......oh to be young again!

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-16-2014 at 10:33 PM.