Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
I guess they havent done FF by now I can see them doing it in the future I am sorry I have stepped on your toes or got your nose out of joint about Pro photographer Its time like this I remember why I left photographic forums
Nah, you didn't step on my toes, I was just (perhaps a little harshly) pointing out that you are making some assumptions that are not true. Ricoh will produce a FF body when it makes sense for them. Might be next month, it might be next year.

But saying Pentax will have no real photographers? Don't you think that's a little antagonistic? You could just as easily (and as erroneously) say that real photographers only use medium format.

But to answer you question, what I would like to see in a new body (APS-C or FF):

1. Tilt/movable screen. I have said no to that for a long time, but as I get older it would be really nice to see what the heck I'm shooting sometimes.
  2. 16-85 f/4 lens with DA* image quality (OK, that's not a body, sorry)
  3. Built-in GPS
  4. Tethering via cable
  5. True manual flash control on the hot shoe
  6. make the grip 1/4" longer so my pinky does not fall off

08-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I agree.
I would not mind some minor changes as well as some of the ones suggested in this thread but the problem is that it does depend on the photographers workflow preferences.
For example a minor thing I would love because it would make my life easier is if the "M" mode was adjacent (or at least close) to the "P" mode because I spend quite a bit of time switching between them (which is fiddly on the k-5 but a bit better on the K-3 no doubt). I know on the K-3 you could effectively set up a couple of adjacent User modes which would be easier than on my K-5 (hard to select between user modes).
I like the idea of a "Hyper Manual" in P mode too (if you change aperture and shutter and fix ISO then you are in Hyper M)- so that you can transition almost automatically into manual whenever P mode is not doing it for you.
To be able to turn Hyper-P into manual setting you have to use exposure compensation. The purpose of Hyper-P and Hyper-M are completely different
The idea behind Hyper-P or any other P-mode is that the camera should not let you set a exposure setting that will be way off. So if a P-mode should also support fully manual settings, it would probably be a very confusing mode. ISO is not really any part of the P-mode.

If you want both P and M settings in one mode, you can use Hyper-manual and the set green button for P, and use AE-L when you want aperture or shutter speed to change in relation to the other. It kind of seems like you might have more use of TAv mode than Hyper-P.
08-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1 a body with a built in vertical grip - Doesn't really make sense to me with the market (also FF) are going in the opposite direction. "Big is good" is losing traction.
2 Have select auto focus via the eye ie like Canon have done ( with my K10 I find using the wheel a pain) - As I recall, not even Canon use it anymore. Why, I do know.
3 Get rid of things like programe - I have yet to find a mode on the dial that is bad. The green mode is never used by me but I can see the value of it. Program is a really cleaver mode that I should use more often due to the sheer speed of work-flow with it.
4 Get rid of pop up flash dont ever use it - Well, it doesn't do any harm and I've used it to control external flashes.
5 Dont ever care for a touch screen or a movable screen ( I guess I am too old school SLR person LOL ) - I'm fine with touchscreen ,as long as it doesn't affect the physical controls, it would be nice to have in some occasions like macro or studio. After crawling around for a day shooting bugs two weeks ago my body was screaming for a pop-out screen, not needed but nice at occasions.
6 Faster FPS & auto focus for sports - As one who started shooting by shooting Ice Hockey, this is probably my top priority. I would like 7fps so I don't lose anything coming from the K-5. I would for sure sacrifice MP for speed.
7Get rid of stupid colored bodies cameras are either black or silver - As long as they bring in extra profit to Pentax I can't see why the possibility to choose colors is a bad thing.
8 Wish more companies would make more lens / flashes etc for Pentax - Third party support is pretty bad yes. Third party flashes are though with Pentax bad flash control system that is light years behind Canon and Nikon.
9 Get rid of the movie part yes again I am old school SLRs are for stills if you want a video go & buy a video camera - Well, DSLRs are starting to take over the budget movie industry as they provide way more bang for buck. Consumer camcorders are lagging far behind today and sales are dropping quickly. I bet that the small extra cost of video is eaten up by the extra sales profit and better reviews.
Check this about camcorders and why people are switching to DSLRs and mirrorless for video:
08-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #19

A viewfinder that is big enough would be wonderful. I wear glasses and am so used to not seeing all the image in the viewfinder that the ability to do this would come as a shock!! Maybe they need to acknowledge that photographers like to actually see what they are shooting!

08-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree!

Agree with Jatrax. I like most stuff on the list seen on Pentax cameras.

I wish higher sync speed for pop up flash
I wish tethering built in the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do you have some inside knowledge on this or are you just making things up?

That is not only completely untrue it is rather insulting to the many professional photographers on this forum. I'll have to let my accountant know I am not 'professional', maybe I won't have to pay taxes

1 a body with a built in vertical grip - No thanks, that is completely anti-Pentax. If I want a grip I will add one thank you
2 Have select auto focus via the eye ie like Canon have done ( with my K10 I find using the wheel a pain) - I don't have a problem with the current method, not sure I understand the focus by eye thing though
3 Get rid of things like programe - Why? Some people find it useful, if you don't just ignore it
4 Get rid of pop up flash dont ever use it - Again, Why? It is quite useful for a little fill light and for controlling off camera flash
5 Dont ever care for a touch screen or a movable screen ( I guess I am too old school SLR person LOL ) - Touch screen, I agree. Tilt/moveable screen though I would happy to have.
6 Faster FPS & auto focus for sports - Might be better to have a dedicated 'sports' model like Nikon with faster frame rate and lower megapixels. Otherwise, no thanks, I never use burst anyway. The AF could be improved but I suspect that is going require new lenses, not a new camera. I do not think the screw drive can be made any faster and SDM just is not going to get the job done.
7Get rid of stupid colored bodies cameras are either black or silver - Again Why? If you like black, buy the black. But don't force everyone to. The colored bodies made an impact and sell.
8 Wish more companies would make more lens / flashes etc for Pentax - Third party support is important for lenses and currently lacking no question. For flashes, how many do you need? Metz and Pentax seem to cover all that is required.
9 Get rid of the movie part yes again I am old school SLRs are for stills if you want a video go & buy a video camera - Why? Lots of people making movies (and money) using DSLR video. I don't, but I do not care if it is included, there is no additional cost. And if it is not included then you automatically exclude a lot of customers that either do need it or won't buy a camera without it because they might need it.

Well I guess we agree that touch screens on DSLRs are a bad idea

08-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #21
Forum Member

Hi all I guess Pentax is never going to go FF so what would you like to see on new body? or get rid off, as I see pentax will only have to mid to medium photographer ie no real professional photographer.
1 a body with a built in vertical grip - don't agree, prefer small/medium size - a lot of camera in a little package!
2 Have select auto focus via the eye ie like Canon have done ( with my K10 I find using the wheel a pain) - meh, why, I like BF only would this still work the same way?
3 Get rid of things like programe - no its great for hasty, outdoors and confusing situations
4 Get rid of pop up flash dont ever use it - no issues either way
5 Dont ever care for a touch screen or a movable screen ( I guess I am too old school SLR person LOL ) - Touch scree? Hell no. Mocable screen? Maybe, if 110% sure its robust
6 Faster FPS & auto focus for sports - ok, but not if it lessens the accuracy of the focus
7Get rid of stupid colored bodies cameras are either black or silver - only if it makes black bodies cheaper
8 Wish more companies would make more lens / flashes etc for Pentax - Hell yes, especially a great 100-300 F4
9 Get rid of the movie part yes again I am old school SLRs are for stills if you want a video go & buy a video camera - no issues either way.
Any thoughts etc welcome ie what you would like to see & keep
And further thoughts

- make a spare battery included in new package
- more lens - 35-120 F2.8 or f3.5 weather resistant, constant shape, great motor (basically a little brother for the 50-135 with DC motor
- can do without live view if it make cheaper and simpler
08-25-2014, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
What would you like to see in new DSLR?
Well I'm still gonna say it anyway... a FF sensor.