Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #271
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
And minivans tend to be more practical and economical. They just aren't as cool I guess.

Smartphones usually have point & shoot sized sensors (like lesser Pentax Q models), significantly bigger than what is used on most camcorders. Some smartphones have 1/1.7" sensors (or even larger ones). For example the Huawei Mate30 Pro has a 1/1.7" main camera and a 1/1.54" ultra wide. Plus a tele camera, but I think they didn't communicate the specs there, so it won't be as impressive. Basically as good as the better Pentax Q cameras. The combination is pretty impressive, I was able to capture quite a few stars handheld with night mode, without much noise. I'd say the night mode elevated the P30 Pro beyond what even full frame sensors can accomplish (handheld, and with reasonable noise levels).
Those smartphones may have tiny sensors, but there is a lot of computing power behind them.

As an example, look at all the effort that has gone into producing convincing bokeh in their portrait modes; the results don't look like those of tiny sensors with a huge depth of fields. On top of that, some phones allow you to adjust the level of bokeh applied (As shown in the "Did you just bokeh my kid?" commercial).

Can you imagine a full frame sensor with all the latest smartphone whiz-bangery behind it? Think about what it could do!

10-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #272
LSR

12 years of using Pentax DSLR cameras and I have never once bothered to try to capture a video with them.

I grew up in a time where a camera was used for still pictures, if you wanted to capture a video then you bought a video camera. Guess I never overcame that.
10-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #273
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am not much of a videographer. I've briefly tested it and have been meaning to get into it, but stills photography keeps me busy. I even have a Samsung NX1 that can do 4K. Maybe this December holiday...
10-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #274
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Since getting a k5iis, I've tried video once to see if it worked and would be good enough for what I wanted. It easily surpasses my very limited video plans and abilities. I have no other device that shoots anything even half-decent so I'm happy it's there just in case I remember to use it.
Interesting to revisit my view 5 years later. Still using the k5iis, but I have a couple more devices that are video capable (Nikon J1 and a smartphone). I still have limited video skills, but I have been using video more and more to record little nature events. These are not terribly exciting or particularly well done, but it's convenient to be able to grab quick videos with the stills cameras.

This is from my J1, it's a bucket of gypsy moth pupa writhing around. I have photos showing how articulated the pupa are, I don't think it's possible to do the writhing mass justice with a still photo:

A wee butterfly flapping in the wind, it was the flickering iridescence that I think made a video worthwhile:

This one's even duller (and not worth watching the full 5 minutes), but it served as data for a slit-scan experiment:

And the result, which I thought was a neat way to represent a changing event in a 2-d image. For this sort of thing I'd love to have higher resolution video, but I'm not making anything worthwhile enough to get a 4k video camera. If it happens to be built into the next device I get, that'd be swell

I think this was the first time I actually used the video mode for something (and not just a test to see if it worked). It's only a few seconds, and is exactly what the title says it is.

10-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #275
Pentaxian

If something catches your interest and video is the best way to capture it, then your camera's video capabilities will become much more important.
10-27-2019, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #276
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, its me. My K-5 IIs has very poor implementation of the Video mode, including an aged video format.
10-28-2019, 03:29 AM   #277
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Yep, its me. My K-5 IIs has very poor implementation of the Video mode, including an aged video format.
Compared to later Pentax cameras, the K-5 IIs is IMHO still the best camera Pentax has for video. And that aged video format is one of the reasons why. At least this format works well. On newer cameras they do use a more modern format, but the implementation is terrible and the bitrate far too low, especially considering how few of the features of that codec they use. It is also the last camera to offer video stabilization that's not completely messed up and hurting image quality. At its time, it was decent. The competition has improved since, Pentax has gone several steps backwards and then stayed there.

10-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #278
Pentaxian

Compared to later Pentax cameras, the K-5 IIs is IMHO still the best camera Pentax has for video. And that aged video format is one of the reasons why. At least this format works well. On newer cameras they do use a more modern format, but the implementation is terrible and the bitrate far too low, especially considering how few of the features of that codec they use. It is also the last camera to offer video stabilization that's not completely messed up and hurting image quality. At its time, it was decent. The competition has improved since, Pentax has gone several steps backwards and then stayed there.
I remember the big complaint about that aged video format was that the files were too big. Now the modern formats use smaller files, at the expense of implementation issues. Be careful what you wish for...
10-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #279

Never even tried the video functions on my K3II, I'm usually more focused on the photos and don't even think about video.
10-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I remember the big complaint about that aged video format was that the files were too big. Now the modern formats use smaller files, at the expense of implementation issues. Be careful what you wish for...
I wasn't complaining about file size And it's fine that they use a more modern format, all do. But they tend to have higher bitrates and make use of the formats features in order to get good quality at low bitrates. Interestingly, the Sigma fp goes up to 2500 Mbps (420 Mbps for non-raw videos).

To be honest, IMHO the video implementation from Pentax was basically trying to follow a checklist of things they needed for marketing. They didn't care about the actual results. And as competitors took off, they just stopped caring and stuck to what they already had.
10-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #281
Pentaxian

I wasn't complaining about file size And it's fine that they use a more modern format, all do. But they tend to have higher bitrates and make use of the formats features in order to get good quality at low bitrates. Interestingly, the Sigma fp goes up to 2500 Mbps (420 Mbps for non-raw videos).

To be honest, IMHO the video implementation from Pentax was basically trying to follow a checklist of things they needed for marketing. They didn't care about the actual results. And as competitors took off, they just stopped caring and stuck to what they already had.
I can understand playing to one's strengths, but you also have to stay current in a rapidly-changing industry. In marketing, perception is everything.
10-29-2019, 08:29 PM   #282
Forum Member

I used the video on the K3 once. It was OKish. Could not print the results. Never used it again.
10-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #283
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've accidentally bumped the video button a couple of times and that meant that by the time I realized what happened, I had inadvertently shot some video. Otherwise I've never used it and never will. K3-II

10-29-2019, 09:21 PM   #284
Pentaxian

I can't say never ever but I've only used the video function on my K3 a hand full of times. I could certainly live without it.
10-31-2019, 11:47 AM   #285
Veteran Member

I think I've used the video feature 5 or so times -- its fine for what would need. Its not good enough to use professionally. I think thats why its there. If I really need to take a video, its fine for that. But if you need advanced features, get a camera that is more focused on video.