Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had a Cannon A1100 P&S with vedio capabilities for 5 years and never used it, had my K50 for about 8 months and never used it. I have enough problems trying to master still photography!!!

08-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Never used the video mode ever in 2 years since I started. No immediate plans to do anything different.
08-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to sneer at video mode. "Doesn't belong there!" You know the rant. Or maybe get all technical about the implementation. "If it's not 8K, what is the point?"

The fact is, I have tried it, and all my videos are unwatchable. Mostly I don't even have an idea of what to shoot, let alone the technique, which is also bad. It is discouraging.
08-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Just like Paul Newman said in the movie Nobodys fool Nope not now not ever.

08-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's often touted as an important feature by review sites and salesman. Asides from very few people I know (among which even fewer produced a decent, good quality and interesting video) no one seems to use their DSLR as a video shooter. It's a niche market within a niche market within another niche market, yet it's often promoted as a major feature.

I too uses my phone for shooting short videos, the AF is pretty impressive, the full auto mode does a good job and it is more than decent at capturing my dog running around like an idiot.

If I were to start making videos I would more than likely get a video camera (or a more "inclined for video" camera), not giving a single f___ if this camera takes pictures or not.
08-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't use it often on my K-5's or my Q but they have all done it.

Q is nice for lunar stuff, random moments, wildlife and concerts:

K-5 is good for low light stuff and filming stuff like my fishes:
08-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Have K5ii, 2x Q and 2x K3 and none of them have ever been switch to video mode.

08-17-2014, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

I have had k100d, K10d, Km,Kr,K5,K30, extra K5 body, and K5IIs, I have never used or tried the video.

If was interested I would buy a video camera.

They could also remove all the menu choices and infact any thing to do with jpegs as well apart from the rear screen preview, as I only shoot raw and never use the shadow or highlight adjustments or HDR or any of that stuff.

It would make for a easier to use and probably cheaper camera.
08-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K30 does video?
Have never shot a video on anything in my life, still trying to master the single shot, let alone 30 a second :-)
08-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Never used it. Still images are already very difficult to get right. Videos are just 24 fps of crap for those who can't shoot.
08-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Kx once as an experiment. K5 never.

Lumix GF2 yes and Canon camcorder a lot. A small sensor fully auto camcorder is a lot more forgiving than a DSLR.
08-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
It's often touted as an important feature by review sites and salesman. Asides from very few people I know (among which even fewer produced a decent, good quality and interesting video) no one seems to use their DSLR as a video shooter. It's a niche market within a niche market within another niche market, yet it's often promoted as a major feature.
It's an important feature, as many that start to invest in ILC systems will want to have video as they believe they will use from time to time. It's not about making professional videos, but to be able to capture videos from vacations, holidays, or the kids doing something worth capturing. To be able to capture high quality images and video on the same device is worth a lot for many users.

Video is a checkbox feature that many look for when buying a new ILC, and if one camera don't have it, they just look for another brand that have video. They might not use it very often, but to have the option to capture video is important. Video is a feature that sells cameras, and in the end it make the equpment cheaper for the small niche of users that has photography as their main hobby, or make money on photography.
08-17-2014, 01:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I was gonna run a poll but I figured that having direct feedback is probably just as good.

Who here would be just as happy if your camera would not have any kind of video mode?

I am asking for a few reasons.

1- I personally never shot a video with my K3 and I can't remember shooting one with the K5. I did try it on the Kr but regardless, it was more for testing it out.
2- Most comparisons I see between Pentax and the other brand come down to two things, poorer AF (no as true anymore) and weaker video performances (probably true).
3- I keep flipping the video switch on my K3 thinking it is the AF dial like on the K7/K5 and I am just about to glue it in still mode (old habits die hard).

I understand that there are a few videographers within our ranks but I am more interested in the casual still shooter
Hand goes up. I couldn't care less. The only time I've ever done a video clip on any of my cameras it's because I accidentally hit a button for it and put the camera in video mode by accident. If I want to make a video I will use a decent video camera. Don't want or need video on anything else.
08-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #29
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no interest in video. I won a dedicated video cam last year - that I haven't used. It does a lousy job with still images.

Video is a different game. It would take too much time and effort for me to make even tolerably good videos. Time better spent to work on my photography.
08-17-2014, 01:17 AM   #30

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Own K10D, K7 and K5-IIs. With the K7 shot a 3 sec movie... yep, it works... deleted it and never again...

If I wanted to shoot video, I would have bought a video camera!!!