08-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
never ever ! i won't use it.

08-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a K10 and a K5.

Do either of these cameras have a video feature?

I'm afraid I'm just not interested in video.

Tom G
08-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Since getting a k5iis, I've tried video once to see if it worked and would be good enough for what I wanted. It easily surpasses my very limited video plans and abilities. I have no other device that shoots anything even half-decent so I'm happy it's there just in case I remember to use it. I'd rather have an unobtrusive feature included that I may never get around to using than buy a dedicated video camera that I also may also never get around to using.

I wouldn't be too sad if it was left off entirely though and it in no way influenced my buying decision.
08-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Who here never, ever used the video mode?
That'll be me then.

08-17-2014, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

I never use it for real, but I use it sometimes to find dust on the sensor or see bad pixels (to see if I need to do a pixel remap), it is good for that. Stop down heavily so the dust will show up, and then take a video where you are panning over a textured wall or something like that (keep it moving so you create blur). Play it on the tv and anything "frozen" like sensor dust or hot pixel will stick out like a sore thumb...
08-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'd rather have an unobtrusive feature included
See that's the thing, one the K5, it was out of the way but now on the K3 it is using some real estate on the back of the body. Video mode has its own dedicated switch, which is used for nothing else. Shooting video requires the same amount if not more commitment as shooting stills; lighting is more important, being stable is more important. So in a way, shooting video requires more work and more preparation than shooting stills so the speed at which you can get to the video mode probably doesn't matter all that much.

Anyone heading out to do some serious video work will do just that; go out and shoot a movie. The rest of us who may want to shoot a short clip here and there could probably live with turning the mode dial and have the switch on the back perform another duty.

I'm sure that most videographer would rather have the option to quickly shoot stills while doing video (which is still not possible with Pentax) than having a dedicated switch for video on the back.

As a photographer, I can think of a few things this switch could do which would be more useful than engage the video mode. Stuff I actually change several times a day when shooting; SR and AA filter comes to mind. And I do miss the dedicated switch for AF mode of the K5, which I could change without looking.

---------- Post added 08-17-14 at 10:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Play it on the tv and anything "frozen" like sensor dust or hot pixel will stick out like a sore thumb...
Well that is clever, kudos for creative use of the video mode
08-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny how this thread is going now ...
The OP's question is:

"Who here never, ever used the video mode?"

yet, we have here quite a few people saying that they did "tried" it, "tested" it, etc ...

08-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The OP's question is:

yet, we have here quite a few people saying that they did "tried" it, "tested" it, etc ...
Well, the "Never, Ever" is kind of a figure of speech. It seemed like a funnier way of saying "people who don't really use the video mode"
08-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Nope.
08-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #40
Veteran Member

See that's the thing, one the K5, it was out of the way but now on the K3 it is using some real estate on the back of the body. Video mode has its own dedicated switch, which is used for nothing else. Shooting video requires the same amount if not more commitment as shooting stills; lighting is more important, being stable is more important. So in a way, shooting video requires more work and more preparation than shooting stills so the speed at which you can get to the video mode probably doesn't matter all that much.
I hear you, and used to feel your pain with my first P&S. The wheel would turn easily when I took it out of it's case and I'd end up with a video of the thing I was trying to photograph that then aims at my feet with a voice over "why isn't this working?".

There must be a crowd that thinks instant video access is a useful thing. I always advocate user-programmable buttons, and it's a shame the k-3's video lever can't be customized to something a stills-only shooter would use.
08-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not interested, never touched it.
08-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, the "Never, Ever" is kind of a figure of speech. It seemed like a funnier way of saying "people who don't really use the video mode"
Canon G2 (bought in about 2004) has video...almost never used
Samsung smart phone has video...almost never used
K-3 has video...have fiddled with it, but have only a small desire to take up the hobby

Steve
08-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #43
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The OP's question is:

Sure, most people here are gear heads so they'll go through and try all the functions, even those they'll never use. Or rather, those they'll probably never use. You can't know for sure before you have tried...

I have tried video before, therefore I knew video is not for me - and I have had no reason to try on my K-5/K-3. Actually, the only time I have twisted the video toggle was when I showed my father how to enable video shooting
08-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Or rather, those they'll probably never use.
One thing I have been thinking of using the video for is simply scene documentation for future reference.

A larger task that is not quite so easy to develop is a "video eye". After a recent trip to the county fair, I was reviewing my photos and realized that what I saw in my mind for many subjects would be better expressed as video rather than stills. Wow! That was a revelation

Steve
08-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K5 has made three sort videos: but not by me!
My son (Canon user) is a fiddler and tries things - so I have three short clips of my grandchildren doing not very much.
For myself, I agree with all those who say they have no interest in video on what is essentially a still camera.
I'm not into 'convergent technology' all that much, so I probably have a psychological thing against a do everything device.