Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Always do a test run then that's it, it never gets used sad really I am just more inclined for stills, I haven't tried it on my k-3 yet.

08-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On the Kr, yes. It was sad.

On the K3, no. It is a photo camera. Why would I buy a dslr for video? Ymmv...
08-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No interest in video. I have a video camera. It stays in the closet. I prefer stills That is why I bought a DSLR.
08-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #49

Looks like I'm not the only one that separates making videos and taking pictures into two separate compartments! The only device that gets to do both is my phone, as they are just snapshots and quick videos. I would use a dedicated machine to make serious videos if that was what I was interested in. At that point, a dslr wouldn't stand a chance by comparison.

08-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tarragon Quote
I would use a dedicated machine to make serious videos if that was what I was interested in. At that point, a dslr wouldn't stand a chance by comparison.
Considering so many "real movies" are shot on DSLRs these days, it is hard to make that argument. (They are not shot on Pentax DSLRs, of course, but still.)
08-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Considering so many "real movies" are shot on DSLRs these days, it is hard to make that argument.
dSLRs are used in production for many "real" movies for specific tasks, but they are not the mainstay by any means. At least that is my impression after a couple of weeks of research regarding dSLR video. The common thread of discussion is that doing production with a dSLR is an exercise in frustration except for those projects where the makers are poor as church mice or those tasks where the dSLR has a demonstrated advantage over a dedicated pro-level video camera.

Steve
08-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
dSLRs are used in production for many "real" movies for specific tasks, but they are not the mainstay by any means. At least that is my impression after a couple of weeks of research regarding dSLR video. The common thread of discussion is that doing production with a dSLR is an exercise in frustration except for those projects where the makers are poor as church mice or those tasks where the dSLR has a demonstrated advantage over a dedicated pro-level video camera.
Yes, high-level pro productions with decent budgets use pro equipment. Some even still use film. But DSLRs are pretty much it now for independent features, web series, many commercials, etc, etc. Pretty much everything where a union is not involved will probably be using a DSLR, and more and more even union "pro" productions by real studios and commercial houses. I know of several independent features with "B" actors in them (but names you would recognize) that were shot exclusively on DSLRs, and it is only becoming more and more common.

08-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm of the opinion if I ever wanted to seriously get into video, I'm going to buy a dedicated video camera. If I want a quick video of the kids, I bring the cheap powershot because its small, lightweight and works.
08-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #54

Video? Whassat?

If I wanted to do Video I would have bought a video camera. As it is i'm a photographer and that's what I use my Pentax K10, Kx, and K30 for. I have absolutely no interest in shooting video with my dSLRs.

On the odd occasions that I do feel the need to shoot some video I use my GoPro HD Hero2 but thats another story.
08-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is video? I'm just a visitor from the 20th century.
08-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #56
Inactive Account

I have a K100D, does it even have a video mode? Not that it matters as I have no interest in using it if it does.
08-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Well I guess this answers why Pentax doesnt bother including cutting edge video features in their cameras
OR, the response would be different if Pentax did try harder.
I dont do video, but I have used video once or twice, but only for some funny family type events. Nothing too special. And for that, the Pentax DSLR video features were enough
08-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You want video, get one of these:

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 07:11 PM.
08-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

don't do video. I do occasionally do time lapses and time slices. But for both of those I need a good stills camera.
Both the D800 and the K-3 fit the bill nicely.

YMMV

Michael
08-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I have shot more video on the K3 than with all my other bodies put together--by accident. The K3 has the video switch where the AF mode switch was.