Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Speaking of video.. I recently tried taking a short panorama style video with the K-01 just around sunset time. Due to the low light and the tele lens I was using, I enabled SR. The video was terrible. The stationary Alps in the distance were wobbling as if they were made out of jelly! Pentax really should fix this issue, I felt it was embarrassingly poor. Most of us don't have a movie dolly and follow focus rig, so Pentax has to work around that. The digital SR is really bad, coupled with the regular CMOS sensor jello effect

11-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Simple. Because another camera costs $10000.
Or get a Blackmagic Design Pocket or Cinema camcorder from anywhere between $1000 to $3000... Aside from having a smaller sensor, you get great dynamic range, RAW video and lots of features useful for videographer.
11-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #108
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I guess most photographers here are hobbyists, and as such you're free to do whatever you want to. I am for the most part too, though I do enjoy video. A phone or point & shoot or video cam is really not an alternative for me, as it doesn't give me the look and the creative control that I'd like to have. To get those I would have to spend around 5-10k on a dedicated video camera, or I get a DSLR or mirrorless camera. I don't have the budget to do that, and no interest in carrying 2 separate and heavy cameras plus lenses for them, when I can flick a switch and do both with one device...
interesting. I always figured the video capabilities on DSLRs were for the hobbyists, and any serious pro wanting serious video, would look to a dedicated video rig. Assuming you are an event shooter, you cannot do both at the same time, right, so don't you need two rigs anyway? Help me understand this.

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Or get a Blackmagic Design Pocket or Cinema camcorder from anywhere between $1000 to $3000... Aside from having a smaller sensor, you get great dynamic range, RAW video and lots of features useful for videographer.
seems like a good solution
11-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
interesting. I always figured the video capabilities on DSLRs were for the hobbyists, and any serious pro wanting serious video, would look to a dedicated video rig. Assuming you are an event shooter, you cannot do both at the same time, right, so don't you need two rigs anyway? Help me understand this.

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 05:35 PM ----------

seems like a good solution
It depends. On the higher end, yes, dedicated video rigs for sure. And hobbyist who want to have control, just like hobbyist photographers who want to have control, might go for a DSLR. People who just want it to work, without having to bother much, should go for a camcorder. Just like people who just want to take photos should go for a point & shoot. A DSLR is about control, and Pentax doesn't really give that to users.
I do events only for fun, but I do switch back and forth all the time. Sometimes I grab a video, sometimes I take photos. Whatever seems more appropriate at the moment. Some things work better as a video (anything with music for example), some better as stills. Two rigs would make this hard and unpleasant.

The Blackmagic cameras are quite limited IMHO. I'd really rather have something like the NX1 or a A7S than one of those. The dynamic range and low light capabilities from that sensor are pretty bad, and I personally don't need raw footage. It would not help me, but cost me a fortune and even hinder me.

@Na Horuk: The solution is using the mechanical SR. It works very well, but Pentax has deactivated it for no reason other than the camera making a bit of noise while doing it, that might, under some unlikely circumstances, be heard. The solution to that is of course to deactivate something that in most cases is very beneficial, and to offer something that in most cases looks awful instead. Because of something unlikely. That's the sort of idiotic behavior I hate. It makes even less sense when you consider that they really screw up video, yet offer a headphone out, which costs money to implement on every camera and is only useful for video.

All I ask from Pentax is to hire a few "consultants" that work in videography/cinematography for input, and have a few programmers implement their suggestions in the firmware. A few firmware changes are all it takes to make the K-3 a very fine video tool for those who want it, without making it any worse for people who don't want video. That can lead to more buyers, which leads to Pentax having more budget to improve their cameras for stills.

11-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #110
Site Supporter

great reply, thx for explaining this.
11-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #111
Site Supporter

And Pentax becomes completely unsuitable for professional photographers who are more and more hired only if they can do stills and video.
Oh, you mean real estate, insurance, and low end weddings?

Steve

---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 06:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
With that many videos, just get another camera, Kadajawi. Who owns just one?
I would suggest Kadajawi get the M43 GH4. It will make passable stills and excellent video and has all the video bells and whistles. Kadajawi will be marketable again and their customers should be thrilled since the camera will no longer be holding them back.

Somebody should also tell Lauren. She is still making money with her stable of K-3s and apparently has not heard they are damaging her output.

Steve
11-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #112
Forum Member

yup black magic camera has nice reviews as it can use dslr lens too
11-01-2014, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter

if Pentax wants to capture the professional market, they don't need full frame, they need video
Those in that "professional market" will buy professional level video cameras. The $10,000 is a capital expenditure and part of the cost of doing business. They will also buy video capable dSLRs that meet their needs and the brand will probably not be Pentax.

BTW...I know several working pros and none (yes, that is right, none) do video as part of their practice. None.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 06:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The stationary Alps in the distance were wobbling as if they were made out of jelly! Pentax really should fix this issue
Get better alps and the jello will go away. The mountains outside my windows (Mt. St. Helens and the Cascade range) are of a higher quality rock and do not quake at all when I pan them.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-01-2014 at 06:58 PM.
11-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mt. St. Helens and the Cascade range) are of a higher quality rock and do not quake at all when I pan them.
You sure about that? I'm positive that Mt. St. Helens has had some stability issues in the not so distant past and the Alps have been pretty solid.

I would blame the videographer and not the mountains... If the video was made from the Italian side, probably had too much coffee... If from the Swiss side, too much chocolat... and if from the French side, too much fatty food and his heart was pumping too hard
11-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Oh, you mean real estate, insurance, and low end weddings?

Steve

---------- Post added 11-01-14 at 06:45 PM ----------

I would suggest Kadajawi get the M43 GH4. It will make passable stills and excellent video and has all the video bells and whistles. Kadajawi will be marketable again and their customers should be thrilled since the camera will no longer be holding them back.

Somebody should also tell Lauren. She is still making money with her stable of K-3s and apparently has not heard they are damaging her output.

Steve
Funny. Nothing wrong with those, is there? Lauren btw. is also off the opinion that video should be part of the skill set of a photographer these days. And yes, she does good work with her K-3s. Then again, she could do with any other DSLR apart from the remote issue. She uses sliders and jibs etc., which is fine for her and helps work around the (unnecessary) deficiencies of the K-3.
11-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #116
Pentaxian

I shot a class video on my K-x and even if it was supremely choppy, I was the only who seemed to mind. Learning how to edit was fun.
11-02-2014, 02:30 AM   #117
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had never used the video mode on K3 until a couple of weeks back. One of my students needed some video for measuring something. Found it was really easy to do, without needing the book, and we stepped through all the different resolutions and frame rates to be able to test the algorithms he is using.

Creates bulk data!

The videos themselves look boring, like nothing is happening.
11-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #118
Veteran Member

I've used the video mode on my K-5 a couple of times on the request of my brother (to record his son being cute, for instance when santa paid him a visit on Christmas afternoon because one of his presents had fallen off of the sleigh), but never really on my own. I just prefer taking pictures. Crazy, isn't that....
11-02-2014, 03:49 AM   #119
Veteran Member

I've used the video on my K7 twice, and I am yet to use it on the K3.
Highly tempted to shoot videos of our cats doing crazy stuff so I can get famous on youtube!
Only worthwhile use is videoing thunderstorms for me.
11-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #120
Site Supporter

... BTW...I know several working pros and none (yes, that is right, none) do video as part of their practice. None.

Steve ...
My two French (wedding) pro friends won't do/don't do video either ...