Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
My two French (wedding) pro friends won't do/don't do video either ...
Interesting! I thought video was the done thing at weddings these days?

11-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's always been done... My parents who got married in the 60s have it on video... granted it's not in 4k but still. Wedding photography is demanding enough to not have time to do both pictures and video. Most photographers (I know) can't even be bothered to do anything else than stills. There are however quite a few who do video primarily.

Weddings are a photo thing IMO... you're gonna have pictures on your walls, your fireplace, the corner of your desk at work and have a fancy album at home. There are key moments which only last a few minutes... Not the greatest for videos but perfect for pictures.
11-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually made a short film on Pentax and an E-PM2. I found out that keeping the Pentax on tripod really helps the quality, rolling shutter effect, IS problems etc. Even the sound was acceptable. I found it no harder to use than Canon 5D Mk II, but the video seemed to have a lot of jagged lines in Pentax.
Overall though, M43 seems to be a better option for video imo.
11-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We only had stills at our wedding. Colour and Black and White. (This was in 1996) I never get the urge to look at videos of anything, but I do like pulling out a photo album!

11-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #125
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, but not by the stills photographer. The savvy bride knows that you can't do both at the same time.
11-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, but not by the stills photographer. The savvy bride knows that you can't do both at the same time.
You're right!
11-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #127
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
It's always been done... My parents who got married in the 60s have it on video...
That is remarkable.* I got married in 1975 and video was not available at that time.

Looking back, I think it was well into the 1980s before wedding video was common and even then the issue was that it was so very intrusive due due to the high powered lights that were required.

Steve

* I suspect that your parent's wedding footage was originally done on 8mm film and later transferred to video tape.

11-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is remarkable.* I got married in 1975 and video was not available at that time.

Looking back, I think it was well into the 1980s before wedding video was common and even then the issue was that it was so very intrusive due due to the high powered lights that were required.

Steve

* I suspect that your parent's wedding footage was originally done on 8mm film and later transferred to video tape.
Well spotted Steve!
11-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup but on Super 8 (I think), along with most of my brothers childhoods (Super 8 for sure). Never made it to VHS but I did try to get the films digitalized a few years ago but they were too far gone to justify the expense. I am pretty sure that my dad had a film (8mm) of my grandparents first trip to NYC... circa 1950ish that we used to watch when I was a kid.
11-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Steve

I agree that weddings are probably not getting video done by the same guy doing the stills, however I have seen companies covering a wedding with stills and video, and they were all shooting for example Canon or Nikon DSLRs. Guess the advantage is you can share lenses, and the video guy can take a couple of stills when he is in a good location, or vice versa. You simply get more coverage by having everyone on the team be able to do both. I have been to a couple of weddings in the past couple of years, and the only time I've seen someone shooting with a traditional professional video camera was when a friend of the family who used to shoot wedding videos was asked to pick up his camera again. It was a well worn (I believe) non-HD ENG camera. Otherwise it's always been DSLRs.

Video these days doesn't have to be nearly as intrusive... the cameras have become small but very light sensitive.

I'm not shooting video for money, but I love being able to switch back and forth when I'm out taking photos. There's just scenes, things that work great on stills, and others that work better on video.

Last edited by kadajawi; 11-06-2014 at 06:22 PM.
11-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Stop it all of you you have given me an itch I can't scratch brings back memories of my high school days where a friend introduced me to 8mm sigh reminiscing my youth lol
11-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Stop it all of you you have given me an itch I can't scratch brings back memories of my high school days where a friend introduced me to 8mm sigh reminiscing my youth lol
Oh, it's sad but yes, I remember the 8mm days and splicing and all!
11-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't use it on my K-x. I forget it's there.
11-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have never tried video. I don't even know how to access it on my K-X or K-30.

The ergonomics of a DSLR doesn't look right doing video.
11-06-2014, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Don't use it on my K-x. I forget it's there.
Kind of like an appendix ...