Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Who here never, ever used the video mode?

I was gonna run a poll but I figured that having direct feedback is probably just as good.

Who here would be just as happy if your camera would not have any kind of video mode?

I am asking for a few reasons.

1- I personally never shot a video with my K3 and I can't remember shooting one with the K5. I did try it on the Kr but regardless, it was more for testing it out.
2- Most comparisons I see between Pentax and the other brand come down to two things, poorer AF (no as true anymore) and weaker video performances (probably true).
3- I keep flipping the video switch on my K3 thinking it is the AF dial like on the K7/K5 and I am just about to glue it in still mode (old habits die hard).

Last edited by fgaudet; 11-09-2014 at 03:25 PM.
08-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Same here. Haven't used it on the K-3 or K-5. Only used video on the K-x a couple of times. Worked fine though.

Video seems too much work, especially to do it well.
08-16-2014, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought a K-5IIs several months ago. I have not tried video. I didn't say "yet" as I have no interest in it so I have no intention of trying it.
08-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here !!

K7 ... K7 ... K20D ... K10D ... never.

JP

08-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I tried it a few times just to see if it works, but never used it to keep anything.
08-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Have tried a few times with my K-50, but it honestly feels more natural with my phone, or the older Samsung handy-cam that we have.
08-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #7

Never.

08-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm another one who has never used video mode. I bought my K-30 as a stills camera and have no need for video.

Twenty-five years ago I used to teach video making courses at college level but that was back in the days of U-max ,VHS and video-8 video tape rather than digital recording but since I emigrated I've lost touch with the genre and the related technology.
08-16-2014, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Had K3 for about 8 months now and never used the video except once last week just to learn that function but I truly prefer still photos. Have really only used the iPhone to video my insane dog fetching or being vacuumed with the vacuum hose. Side note : iPhone doesn't get to take many still pics lately either.
08-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
Banned

Tried it out on the K30 just to see how it did, but if I were serious about video, I'd use a dedicated camera for it. So, to answer your question, Yes, I'd be just as happy if the K30 didn't have video, happier still if it reduced the price!
08-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Never have, never intend to. I also have a Panasonic GX-7, and if I want to shoot video some day, I'll use that (or my iphone).
08-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 - Never
Q/Q7 - Never
Phone - never (for those who do, from my daughter who produces for xxx News - LANDSCAPE)
K-01 - actually, fairly often, but as a form of documentary snap shooting events such as my son's rehearsal dinner speech in short bursts. Usually also taking stllls at these times. DA40 Ltd. and Manual Focus.

Perhaps it is something for the mid-range dSLR's and consumer target bodies. Many Qsers use video because Q is so small they can shoot in places a larger camera can't go ("You can stick your hand through the fence"). Maybe it isn't necessary on a K-3 unless Pentax is going to implement video as well as they've implemented still.

If video doesn't matter why is GoPro?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-17-2014 at 05:50 AM.
08-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Never use video nor flash.
08-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #14

Me neither

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I was gonna run a poll but I figured that having direct feedback is probably just as good.

Who here would be just as happy if your camera would not have any kind of video mode?

I am asking for a few reasons.

1- I personally never shot a video with my K3 and I can't remember shooting one with the K5. I did try it on the Kr but regardless, it was more for testing it out.
2- Most comparisons I see between Pentax and the other brand come down to two things, poorer AF (no as true anymore) and weaker video performances (probably true).
3- I keep flipping the video switch on my K3 thinking it is the AF dial like on the K7/K5 and I am just about to glue it in still mode (old habits die hard).

I understand that there are a few videographers within our ranks but I am more interested in the casual still shooter
I have never used video on my k5 but have on my k-01, first time it was just by accident then I decided I should at least know the basics so I shot a couple at kids parties. However, I never had much use for them and the videos took too much memory to save.
08-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had Ist d - k10-k20-k5 and Ricoh Gr, never used video on any of them.