Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 01:47 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that i used it ONCE with my K3.. i used it a few times with my K5ii ( but less than 10 for sure ).. and used it perhaps the same with my first Pentax the Kr ...

So i can live without video, is good to have the option there but, is not really what i use..

11-07-2014, 02:39 AM   #137
Pentaxian

K200D Never !

Amongst others, one of the reasons I am not in any rush to upgrade is that I just can't see any value in a feature I will never use.

I already have a vidcam and I don't take stills with that.
11-07-2014, 02:52 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Interesting! I thought video was the done thing at weddings these days?

I've seen the video of our wedding twice after 11 years. I've seen the photo album more than a hundred times! (Yes, most of the times, criticizing the photographer )

The problem with video is you need at least thirty minutes to view, or show it to guests. While you'll need only a few minutes to flip over a bunch of photo albums. So, personally, I think I've wasted a few pretty pennies for that video.
11-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I've seen the video of our wedding twice after 11 years. I've seen the photo album more than a hundred times! (Yes, most of the times, criticizing the photographer )

The problem with video is you need at least thirty minutes to view, or show it to guests. While you'll need only a few minutes to flip over a bunch of photo albums. So, personally, I think I've wasted a few pretty pennies for that video.
Funny. I think the same most of the time, but I have relatives that absolutely hate stills and prefer video. For me it depends. My father passed away recently, so I am really happy that I have recorded plenty of video of him in his last few years, all shot on stills cameras. I like watching them, and they look quite nice, especially the DSLR ones. More than the stills. The movements and sounds make a big difference. And yes, I have a camcorder too. It collects dust.

11-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
I tried it a few times just to see if it works, but never used it to keep anything.

Same! I tried it on my old K-7 just to play with it, never for anything serious though. Haven't used it at all on my K5.
11-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never tried it even once on any of my DSLR's....
11-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #142
Veteran Member

I use live view for macro work quite a bit but I have never recorded a video (on purpose) on my K5iis. I have made a few accidental videos though.

My brother is a film geek and he uses a canon dslr for video. He's literally never taken a still shot with his camera.

I'm not opposed to video features on a dslr as long as the still and video controls are kept distinct.

11-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
Never tried it even once on any of my DSLR's....
I've only tried it once to see if it actually worked.
11-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #144
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
I'm not opposed to video features on a dslr as long as the still and video controls are kept distinct.
Indeed! Nothing is more aggravating than to think you are taking a single photograph only to find out later that it was a half hour of video instead

Steve
11-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Indeed! Nothing is more aggravating than to think you are taking a single photograph only to find out later that it was a half hour of video instead

Steve
Actually, there is: finding out that after fiddling with settings you actally stopped recording when the show started, and instead of your proud daughter's show, you have an hour of footage from your purse (where the camera went after you turned recording back on). True story, happened to my wife.
Every year. :facepalm:
11-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #146
Forum Member

Never! It haven't even read that part of the manual so I absolutely have no idea how the video works. And I don't miss it (though in the past I have been working as a television director - when I want to make videos, I use other stuff).
11-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting thread as always !

Amazing how many people still come here saying that they have in fact used the video feature on their DSLR's while the title of the thread is :

" Who here never, ever used the video mode? "

Cheers!
11-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Amazing how many people still come here saying that they have in fact used the video feature on their DSLR's while the title of the thread is :
True. But for the sake of discussion, it's always nice to have a few more opinions

The thread title should have been "Who here wouldn't mind if the video mode was less present of their DSLR" but I felt it was too boring
11-09-2014, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Interesting thread as always !

" Who here never, ever used the video mode? "

Cheers!
So really the only purpose of this thread is to confirm your BELIEF that no one wants video? What's the point?! If I opened a thread that says, who here uses video, and shut down everyone saying he doesn't, would it show to you that video is indeed a needed feature?

It would be much more interesting for us, and for Pentax, to see how many use video and how many not, and how much it is used. i.e. is it an important feature or not.

Less present feature... isn't it already not that present? Pentax could give an option to reassign buttons and switches... I'd like it to be more present, others less, and that's fine. The Fx button on my K-5? Would make for a nice start recording button, that works in any mode. Not the optimal position, but better than nothing. For others on their K-3 button maybe the switch to video should do something focus point oriented. The camera should have that flexibility. Implementing video isn't expensive, it comes for free with the hardware. Deactivating it serves no purpose, other than to be a hipster by going against the grain, being ironic or whatever.

Last edited by kadajawi; 11-09-2014 at 12:10 AM.
11-09-2014, 06:48 AM   #150

Same here never used it. Think I tested it once. But I have no interest in this feature and can be cut.