Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Only accidentally believing the camera was defective,...

10-09-2019, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D, K7, K5, K5II, K3 and K1 = never used video.
10-09-2019, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
I Don't I'm a still photographer only. The reason I even have a camcorder was to chase the grandson at House of Mouse
That's absolutely fine. I just hope that people here do understand that camcorders are usually pretty crappy, and those who care about video quality either use DSLRs, mirrorless cameras or have big pockets, as video cameras with similarly sized sensors and good image quality tend to carry 5 digit price tags.

If you're watching German TV, and you see them shoot with multiple cameras, there's usually a couple of videographers shooting with DSLRs. Even for big budget productions. Sometimes you might see a Canon C series camera, but those are just DSLRs without the mirror and with unlocked video capabilities (Canon tends to artificially limit their stills cameras in order to be able to sell much more expensive cameras).

This one is quite nice:

In any case, there are plenty of commercial photographers that also shoot video for their clients and that need the right tool. Will they be buying a $2.000 camera, a couple of lenses for it and then another $10.000 camera plus lenses, or will they buy a camera that does it all for $2.000?

And don't forget that the 35mm film format originated in video, not in stills. Video and stills are closely related and the hardware is capable of doing both anyway.
10-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #229
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. Watched part of the video. It takes a certain skill level to hold composition with moving objects. I admire that. And as you mentioned my $150 JVC Camcorder ain't doing any movies

10-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

count me in, no I don't use video, tried it once for some fireworks, just don't need it. Pentax could take it out of their cameras and that would be fine by me
10-10-2019, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Interesting. Watched part of the video. It takes a certain skill level to hold composition with moving objects. I admire that. And as you mentioned my $150 JVC Camcorder ain't doing any movies
Yeah. I think shooting good video is on a different level in terms of skill and planning. It's not just that the videographer has to hold composition, he also has to focus (unless he has someone to do that).

In any case, my point is a DSLR/mirrorless camera is exactly the right tool if you're serious about video (unless your budget is really high). Not a Pentax DSLR, obviously. But other brands.

And if you look at sales figures, I think it is quite clear to see that brands that put some focus on video do better than brands that don't. Brands that put focus on video get third party lens support, while brands that don't won't. And producing cameras in low volumes won't help with lowering cost. I think Pentax made a massive mistake, and it shows. We'd have cheaper, more capable cameras with decent lens support, if they had built upon the pretty good K-5 instead of devolving into the junk (for video) that came after it. Many of the things I enjoy about Panasonic cameras are improvements that were mostly developed for video, but which improve the stills capabilities too.
10-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only by accident when I flicked my kp switch too far

10-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #233

Nope. No videos with Pentax equipment. Bought for still photography.

JB
10-10-2019, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #234
Pentaxian

I have taken one or two videos with my K-3, none that I remember with my K-1. In all maybe 5 minutes of video.
10-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #235
Veteran Member

Once or twice when I first got my K10D back in 2006. Never with my K3.
10-11-2019, 04:41 AM   #236
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have never been interested in video, much prefer stills. Video is completely different because it captures story in a single sequence, whereas still can be used to tell a story by presenting a few frames. Completely different thinking.
10-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #237

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Once or twice when I first got my K10D back in 2006. Never with my K3.
How is that possible, you must be mistaken, since the K10D doesn't have video capability, or even LiveView for that matter? Pentax didn't introduce video until 2009 with the K-7/K-x.

Pentax K10D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

In reply to the topic, see my earlier post:

Who here never, ever used the video mode? - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com
10-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
How is that possible, you must be mistaken, since the K10D doesn't have video capability, or even LiveView for that matter? Pentax didn't introduce video until 2009 with the K-7/K-x.

Pentax K10D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

In reply to the topic, see my earlier post:

Who here never, ever used the video mode? - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com
Indeed! My mistake and just goes to show how infrequently I bother with video. It must have been another camera/device that
I fiddle with at about the same time.
10-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #239
Pentaxian

Threads like this are a little like saying, "Who has never taken a picture with their cellphone? If you want to take pictures, get a real camera! Phones are for calling people." It's fine if you choose not to use that feature, but it's where the market is right now. It's similar with this video debate. DSLRs and mirrorless cameras ARE the consumer video cameras of today unless you want to spend a lot of cash or just use your cellphone. So video is here to stay, like it or not.
10-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Threads like this are a little like saying, "Who has never taken a picture with their cellphone? If you want to take pictures, get a real camera! Phones are for calling people." It's fine if you choose not to use that feature, but it's where the market is right now. It's similar with this video debate. DSLRs and mirrorless cameras ARE the consumer video cameras of today unless you want to spend a lot of cash or just use your cellphone. So video is here to stay, like it or not.
So, have you taken a picture with your cell phone?
I never even consider using video mode. I aspire to be a photographer not a videographer" as for people using video as a way to deride Pentax, I just see that as someone who is destined to be a vlogger, and not someone I would take camera advice from