Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Salt spray on the beach. How do you handle that?

Yesterday I was at the beach. It was quite windy and after 5 minutes the lens was covered with salt spray. I wiped it off with a microfiber cloth but I was wondering how people handle this usually? I can imagine it would be much worse on a boat.

08-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

UV filter (or other filter)
WR lens
08-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
UV filter (or other filter)
WR lens
Do you rinse it off otherwise? I have a WR lens but I still can't make myself rinse it.
08-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which lens was it? Maybe you can buy a protective sleeve for it.

UV filters are also not a bad idea for the extra protection from things like fine sand or salt water spray. Since digital cameras don't really need a UV filter, companies now also started making "Protection filters" which might be more suitable for your purposes.

Oh, and lens hood is also a good bit of protection. The only times the lens hood can be bad is if it is exceptionally windy and the wind gets caught in the hood. This is only a problem with big hoods and really harsh wind, especially pointing the camera out a window of a moving vehicle or similar

08-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Do you rinse it off otherwise? I have a WR lens but I still can't make myself rinse it.
Nope. I've wiped down the outsides occasionally, certainly don't put it under a faucet though.

I've often thought that internally focusing lenses were the way to go in the salt, but don't always follow my own rule.
08-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Since digital cameras don't really need a UV filter, companies now also started making "Protection filters" which might be more suitable for your purposes.
Today's "Protection" filters are essentially the same as yesterday's "UV" filters. Both are plain coated optical glass. This is different from the UV 1A filter which also has a slight pink tint to counter the bluish cast that UV light lends to film images. This is different again from the 1B filter which acts as a warming filter for skin tones. I guess you will sleep better at night knowing all this, right?

To the OP...

I live near and have done a fair amount of shooting near the salt water. My practice has been to use a clear filter as a first defense against incidental droplets. Afterwards, I remove the filter and rinse it under fresh water finishing with a soft cloth. The lens barrel I wipe down with a damp cloth. For a field solution, I would hesitate using a microfiber cloth without first at least dabbing the surface to dissolve the salt off. Yes, the cloth is soft, but salt crystals may scratch the coatings.*

Steve

* Salt crystals rate about a 2.5 on the Mohs scale compared to about 5 for glass. I haven't a clue regarding the hardness of the coatings.
08-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use a WR lens and wash it in the sink. I keep a UV filter on to keep the sand from pitting my lens.