Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #1

Flash for macro

Hi I have a Sigma EF500 Super & my Pentax K10D & Sigma 28 /90 Macro lens & I was thinking of trying my hand at macro ( never done it before)
Has any 1 ever done macro with a normal hot shoe flash? I have a stand for the flash it a good tripod & remote for camera.
I was looking at cheap LED ring flashes on evilbay has any ever used them?
I cant afford a real ring flash ie Pentax / Sigma & some macro will be done in doors so stand for flash is ok but out doors not so good? I dont want to spend a fortune due macro could be a flash in the pan for me. I do landscapes some family & sports mainly
Any ideas etc Thanks

08-18-2014, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the LED panels and rings - they let you meter through the lens.

There's a macro sub-forum here, have a look there - lots of great ideas for flash directors, diffusers etc.

I'm usually outdoors in the garden or in the prairies, so I rely on sunlight. I'm usually too busy chasing bees to bother with reflectors, though I probably should use one.
08-18-2014, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
you don't really need specialized ring flash units to do good macro work - Wireless flash is by far the most versatile tool for macrophotography. If you have a good flash stand and know how to trigger your flashes wirelessly there is practically no limit to what can be done.

Backlit leaf - Pentax K10D - Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX with wireless AF540FGZ

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-18-2014 at 06:02 AM.
08-18-2014, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the nice things about macro flash is that you only need a small diffuser to create beautifully soft light. This was shot with the pop-up flash on a K10D, with a diffuser attached to the lens (you can see the reflection of the diffuser in the spider's eyes):

08-18-2014, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Unregistered User

Don't waste your money on a cheap LED ringflash gadget. I went that way and regretted the purchase soon enough. I use my Tamron 90mm with a regular flash mounted on the camera. Works excellently for me. And yes: this way I can do 1:1 macro with no problems.
08-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for that all I didnt see there was a macro sub section. For the time I will just use my Sigma with a soft diffuser I have that
08-18-2014, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, the LED panels are just extra light, which can help whether you use a flash or not.