Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
yes, by all means support KEH as they continue to fleece desperate camera equipment owners. ...
What a completely asinine comment.

08-18-2014, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took my entire excess gear inventory to a KEH 'Buy Show' here. They wouldn't give me individual item prices - they just took my items and entered them in a computer and spit out a bid sheet for the lot. I just asked for everything back and walked away - and I had to ask twice for two lenses that had been set 'aside' to make 'room on the table' for those that came after. Maybe that was really true, but it really raised my blood pressure.

I listed some lenses at KEH -x%, depending on the lens.

I've since sold seven lenses here for the total KEH bid, leaving me eight lenses and a camera. Some of those eight I've sold in the last two weeks. Some of those I withdrew. And some of those will go to eBay for a while. One I traded for an MX.

Frankly I'm mystified by what I sold and what I didn't. I think an A35~105 with a correct OEM rubber hood is worth a premium. I guess no one here thinks the same thing, so back on the shelf that lens goes. My K-01 will be happy. A MIJ FA50/1.4 literally mint-in-the-box won't sell at less than half the B&H new price? At 10% less than a KEH lens that has no box, papers or history? Really? Well, OK then. When the FF comes I'll have a nice normal in hand.

The reality is, the Marketplace is the market place. It helps to sell worldwide but then there is a risk with that. To me. There's no seller risk at KEH - you just take your stuff in and take your money out. So doing some work and getting 75% - 85% of KEH is better than getting 35% - 45% of KEH. KEH easier, sure - no pictures, no listing, no PM's no packing and shipping - nothing KEH gets paid to do. But I'm not giving my stuff away to KEH because it is easy and immediate.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-19-2014 at 11:43 AM.
08-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the other hand, there's plenty of people who have an older relative or family member pass away leaving a collection of older cameras and lenses. For those people, it's either getting some money from KEH, or just dropping it off at a thrift store, where more often than we think, employees will end up taking it home and putting it on eBay (yes I know people who have worked in these places...)

Getting the KEH lower price is like taking your old car to the dealer to trade for a new one, instead of selling it privately and making a bit more money. Lots of people use that option for convenience. Same with selling to KEH instead of spending time selling your stuff individually.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 08-19-2014 at 06:14 AM.