Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Thinking of Sellling my gear...

Was thinking about selling my gear. Haven't really used much in the past year or so. I have been out of the game so don't know what decent prices are. Was wondering if yall could help. Ive been on a long time ago just look at my feedback rating.

K-5iis
DA 50-135 2.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8
AF540FGZ Flash With External Battery pack.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

08-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can do a search on the sold marketplace listings for each item of gear. That should give you a good idea on asking price. Also a finished auction search on eBay is also a good tool.

Steve
08-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can search the Marketplace for completed and present deals. It's a good resource.
08-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I also look at what KEH.com is selling similar gear for. Not buying prices, they don't pay that well, but selling prices should give you an idea what the stuff is worth.

08-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KEH prices are 'perfect world' prices. People in the Marketplace seem to want a better price than KEH (IOW a deal). eBay is, of course, unpredictable.
08-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
KEH prices are 'perfect world' prices. People in the Marketplace seem to want a better price than KEH (IOW a deal). eBay is, of course, unpredictable.
Seems reasonable, though. KEH is a camera store, and presumably has technicians capable of identifying defects. They offer returns for 30 days and a 6 month warranty on used equipment. Unless a seller is prepared to offer the same service, it stands to reason their prices should be lower.

But yeah, a "deal" price will fly out of the marketplace, where a slightly higher one may not.
08-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I also look at what KEH.com
+1 on KEH. Take the KEH price and multiply by 0.85 to get a reasonable non-commercial price.

Steve

08-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
+1 on KEH. Take the KEH price and multiply by 0.85 to get a reasonable non-commercial price.

Steve
before anyone uses KEH as the standard bearer and starts putting unreasonable expectations on marketplace sellers, let me address my personal pet peeve as the recipient of a few "well KEH is selling your lens for x amount" pms/emails.

KEH buys at wholesale, which more than likely no one on this site has done, so therefore their margins, even when returns and/or repairs are factored in, are much much better than the average private seller here. also their shipping costs are lower based on their volume.

thirdly, their prices will vary for the same item in the same condition based on shelf time. they may be willing to take a loss on an item that I or other marketplace sellers can't take.

to hold a PF private seller to a KEH warranty standard or even use their prices as a rule of thumb is just,,, well the word I want to type would be censored.

Understand KEH is competition for your sale, but they play in a different league. so price things to YOUR tolerance. I have several items for sale that can sit on the shelf gathering dust for all I care, because I refuse to take a prohibitive loss. I'd rather take the chance I might find some future use for that item than be lowballed because KEH is selling something for x amount and I can't offer then same warranty so I should sell it for even less!
08-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, I find myself looking at the PF Marketplace less and less, as so much of the stuff there is overpriced...

KEH is the best guideline, but you gotta ask a bit less, otherwise people can buy from KEH and have a commercial 6-month warranty...
08-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yes, I find myself looking at the PF Marketplace less and less, as so much of the stuff there is overpriced...

KEH is the best guideline, but you gotta ask a bit less, otherwise people can buy from KEH and have a commercial 6-month warranty...
yes, by all means support KEH as they continue to fleece desperate camera equipment owners. your "boycotting" of private party sales in an attempt to drive prices down will certainly help restrict the free flow of older equipment as non commercial owners refuse to take a 50-75% loss on equipment they purchased.

good for you for taking a hard line on PF sellers who are at least trying to get their money back. shame on them, don't they know this is a garage sale and everything should be marketed at distressed prices?
08-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
yes, by all means support KEH as they continue to fleece desperate camera equipment owners. your "boycotting" of private party sales in an attempt to drive prices down will certainly help restrict the free flow of older equipment as non commercial owners refuse to take a 50-75% loss on equipment they purchased.

good for you for taking a hard line on PF sellers who are at least trying to get their money back. shame on them, don't they know this is a garage sale and everything should be marketed at distressed prices?
I don't think you understand how the free market works...

Plus, I'm not here to do charity. I've bought a couple lenses from the Marketplace before because they were fairly priced. I would do so again but it's getting harder to find those. So lately I've only bought from KEH. It's my money, it's not easy to come by, so I choose to spend it wisely.

There are still some PF sellers that are not greedy, fortunately, I do feel the need to clarify that. And there are also overpriced KEH things (a very good example is any manual Pentax 24mm lens).
08-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

This is why my standard answer to the PM that says "KEH has it for X amount" is...
"By all means buy it from KEH!"

Not the end of the world for me!

Oh, and the OP: PM me and I'll send you the prices I'd be willing to pay. (Except I have or have had all of those items, and so am not buying these days.)

Last edited by panoguy; 08-18-2014 at 03:35 PM.
08-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

And that is why I don't even bother to PM people in the Marketplace anymore, unless their price is already reasonable...
08-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't think you understand how the free market works...

Plus, I'm not here to do charity. I've bought a couple lenses from the Marketplace before because they were fairly priced. I would do so again but it's getting harder to find those. So lately I've only bought from KEH. It's my money, it's not easy to come by, so I choose to spend it wisely.

There are still some PF sellers that are not greedy, fortunately, I do feel the need to clarify that. And there are also overpriced KEH things (a very good example is any manual Pentax 24mm lens).
define greedy? attempting to recoup their investment? I haven't seen a seller yet on PF add a premium to their asking prices, except maybe for a couple extremely rare lenses. you say you are not into charity work, yet you expect sellers should provide a "charitable" price to your extreme benefit by deeply discounting their asking price?

my pet peeve is with the way in which KEH and B&H purchase used gear at extremely low prices and then resell them at huge margins. it's akin to many used car sale lots. If you want to continue to support their business model, you're right it's your money. to use KEH pricing as the standard bearer of all used transactions however, is highly flawed.

it's the same mentality of people that shop at wal mart and then vilify American corporations for setting up manufacturing plants overseas. somehow PF sellers are supposed to take a loss because heaven forbid they are trying to sell something. Eventually if everyone just buys from KEH then we can just do away with the PF marketplace all together because we definitely don't need greedy private parties awash in millions who refuse to take into account the hardships of buyers when pricing their equipment.

Last edited by nomadkng; 08-18-2014 at 03:48 PM.
08-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
define greedy?
Asking for quite a bit more than something is worth, and then trying to convince others that it's a fair price?

QuoteQuote:
attempting to recoup their investment?
There's no such thing as recouping investment on something that is bought new and sold used. Or even stuff that you bought used a few years ago, that is not worth much anymore. Like camera bodies. With lenses, some go down in price as demand decreases, some go up because people find out how good they really are. It's called a marketplace for a reason.

The sad thing is, there's other sellers that think like you. They want to "recoup their investment" at the cost of other people's earned money.

QuoteQuote:
I haven't seen a seller yet on PF add a premium to their asking prices, except maybe for a couple extremely rare lenses. you say you are not into charity work, yet you expect sellers should provide a "charitable" price to your extreme benefit by deeply discounting their asking price?
I never said I wanted charity or charitable price. And that's as far as I'm going to go to answer your strawman fallacy.